The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Hell would be to be stuck behind a Metropolitan and matching caravan, though.

Best, Pete.

What about being stuck behind the pair of them.

Was that Stirling Moss alongside the A40 pick up?

Unlikely round here, his official website notes that "he still globe-trots around the world with Lady Moss, fulfilling promotional engagements as well as demonstrating historic race cars" - He was also at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion in Laguna Seca California last weekend, so I think a Garden Centre in Worcestershire probably wouldn't cut it!

Many years ago I drove a Metropolitan (don't ask) from Eastbourne to Epsom in the freezing depths of winter.

Of course, the heater didn't work.

When the police pulled me up for something to do I could hardly get out of the car I was so cold.

They must have thought I had a very bad stammer.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing in the World approaches the sound of a 427 Cobra with side pipes and no roof at all.......Sorry.

I doubt whether I’ll have that opportunity ever again whereas I have several Lambos, two Maserati Boras (both with the stainless steel roofs from the early seventies)  etc., within shouting distance.

Best, Pete.

There are better, here they are

Rolls-Royce_Merlin.jpg

800px-Napier_Deltic_Engine.jpg

• Like 2

Actually I disagree - if you’ve heard a 427 Cobra with side pipes you may well change your mind and like it equally.

Whilst it has been done with a Merlin (several times) but not very successfully and with a deltic engine probably never it is a bit of a moot point......putting one into a car, I mean.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Neither did the Commer TS3. 3 cylinder 2-stroke diesel engine with two opposed pistons per cylinder, same principle as the Deltic. They sounded brilliant even from a couple of miles away. A few years ago someone fitted a TS3 to a 'special' with a straight through exhaust, you must have been able to hear it coming from about 5 miles away. :O

• RMweb Premium

I did some work on a TS3 when I first started training as a plant fitter, just the engine on a stand wheeled it over to the  open doorway ran it up and deafened most of Wakefield the only engine that came with a 12sqin piece of plywood   to stop it when it started eating its own oil. As I understood it it was used in the development of multi fuel engines and could run on a variety of what would now be termed eco fuels sunflower oil peanut oil etc The Kawasaki was a much higher howl because the thing revved out at about 11,000 rpm max power was between 6,750 and 7,500 intake roar plus snap crackle pop from the exhausts.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually I disagree - if you’ve heard a 427 Cobra with side pipes you may well change your mind and like it equally.

Whilst it has been done with a Merlin (several times) but not very successfully and with a deltic engine probably never it is a bit of a moot point......putting one into a car, I mean.

Best, Pete.

Well I have heard Merlins in groups on a number of occasions and a low flying Lancaster is amazing.

As to Deltics, a pair being driven hard sounds like nothing else ever.

The Commer engined special was built by an old chap who owns Fenland Airfield and the one time scrap yard next door. He always attends Newark Autojumble in it. With a trailer on the back. It's huge and sounds wonderful!  He has another vintage type special  (based on a Phatom III RR!) with a 5 cylinder Gardner engine in it.  A remarkable old gent.

BTW, a 3 litre Bentley isn't a Speed Six as it has only 4 cylinders!

Nice pics and what a variety for just a garden centre in Worcestershire!

Regards,

Boatman

• Like 1

BTW, a 3 litre Bentley isn't a Speed Six as it has only 4 cylinders!

Nice pics and what a variety for just a garden centre in Worcestershire!

Regards,

Boatman

Quite right sir, I don't know where I got the six from, my apologies!  No doubt a combination of senility and bad eyesight.

post-18627-0-68576300-1409058574_thumb.jpg

The gathering started about 15 years ago and, similar to the one in Droitwich, it has just grown over the years, much of the stuff is run of the mill kit cars and classics but there are the occasional gems. It's amazing what there is in the locality. - It also means I don't have to go around the Garden Centre.

• Like 2

Well I have heard Merlins in groups on a number of occasions and a low flying Lancaster is amazing.

As to Deltics, a pair being driven hard sounds like nothing else ever.

Yes, I know but they are rather inconvenient in cars - which is what this thread is all about - my father flew in planes with four Merlins - I grew up with them. I like Deltics too but they are not suitable for cars. Deltic engines were designed for marine use where it was found that they also worked for railway locomotives - lovely sound - BUT this is a car thread.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Saw on of those being driven down the A38 north of Burton a week or so ago (on the way to Midland Railex at the time). First time I have seen one in decades.

All the best

Keith

Styled by the same chap who did the HST (and the Kenwood Chef..) I think I'm correct in saying you could drive them on a motorbike licence, and didn't need a full car licence. Only about 3000 or so were built; I'd doubt that many survived, as they had a tendency to flip over at speed. Someone who had a flat in the same house as me in Bristol had one, and wrote it off in this manner.

• Like 1

Other uses for a Merlin.

I thought I'd read about a chap who killed himself in a Merlin engined car, or was it a Meteor?

Very interesting. I seem to recall one being in a proto - dragster  at Santa Pod.   It wasn’t too successful, unfortunately. Wheelspin being difficult to manage as well as being unsuitable for a ¼ mile standing start, IIRC. I saw the Phantom bodied one come up for sale at a recent auction over here - probably when Jay Leno bought it. 

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Being able to drive a "car" on a bike licence in the older days was all down to weight, not wheel numbers, but keeping the number of wheels to a minimum made it easier to get down to that weight, which I believe was 590 Kg.

My Reliant Fox van was 630 Kg, due to its double skin body moulding.

Regards,

Boatman