The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Is that single-seater based on a P4 (or maybe P3) Rover? If so, I think I've seen it racing at Donington, against "proper" 50s GP cars. It did surprisingly well.

Yes, it is.

I'm not 100% but I think I read some where that it started out on a P3 chassis but dont quote me on that. I wouldnt mind that carb set up on my P3 would be better than the knackerd old Zenith thats on it now

Edited by Londontram

Looks like it, interesting article on it here

http://www.tsccni.info/2014/06/12/monster-on-show-at-cultra/

Yep, that appears to be the one. It would have been the May Bank Holiday VSCC meeting at Donington in '84 when I saw it, or, just possibly late in the '88 season, those being my only two visits to the track. I think I may have a very poor photo of it at the Old Hairpin somewhere. I didn't actually realise at the time what a distinguished pedigree it had, assuming that it was just something knocked together when old Rovers were relatively cheap and common.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't there a derelict railway tunnel in Liverpool full of old cars?

Some cars were trapped when the LOR Dingle station tunnel collapsed a few years ago. The station had become a car repair workshop.

taken june 2011

attachicon.gifPicture 022.jpg

taken about a year ago

attachicon.gifPicture 332.jpg

Superb Moggie!  I had a Jap V-twin in the 60s, then an F-Super, which I traded in for a beautiful 1952 +Four which ended my 3 wheel adventures.  Had a rear wheel puncture in the Jap on Denmark Hill in '66, racing to get from Sydenham Section House to Balham Magistrates Court and did at least 2 x 360 degree spins before emerging shaken outside Kings College Hospital. Then raced in to borrow my then nurse girl-friend's Mini.  Made it to court just in time, but the defendant didn't turn up!!

• Like 4

I remember seeing the Breadvan at Goodwood 2009. While I still prefer the 250 GTO, I must say that it is one of the most unique 1-off Ferrari's I have ever seen

Now we must have something in common! The 250 GTO, to me (With the possible exception of he eagle speedster or AC Cobra Daytona coupe), is just fantastic. End of. 

If I ever had to own any car, that would be it. Only downside it is a tad expensive - Last one went for 24 million.... 

I have visited Goodwood every year since 07 and the 250's I always make a B - line for.

That's my fantasising over. 

• Like 4

Superb Moggie!  I had a Jap V-twin in the 60s, then an F-Super, which I traded in for a beautiful 1952 +Four which ended my 3 wheel adventures.  Had a rear wheel puncture in the Jap on Denmark Hill in '66, racing to get from Sydenham Section House to Balham Magistrates Court and did at least 2 x 360 degree spins before emerging shaken outside Kings College Hospital. Then raced in to borrow my then nurse girl-friend's Mini.  Made it to court just in time, but the defendant didn't turn up!!

Driving like that,I'm surprised you weren't the defendant!

i have had about three cars that young people seem to appreciate  .not by intention .The first ,a very nice ,very early red  XR3 .i was driving round Harlow when a bunch of kids all driving hot hatch Fords  and suddely got tooted and the thumbs up .I had inadvertantly joined a gang it seemed .. I used to cart my daughters around late at night as Dads Taxi .If I stopped out side a certain night club kids used to come over to me with cash  in their hands and looked very disappointed at the old git driving it .After the XR3 's floor pan did its regulation  225,000 mile drop onto the road,a standard procedure I gather even though the car looked immaculate  I bought an old 87 BMW E30 318i again in red  .Looked good with RiAL wheels and some flash paint work  and cost very litttle .I stopped near Mildenhall one day and US Army truck full of "squaddies" all jumped out and raved about the Bimmer .it seems to be a cult out there as it is here .The Bimmer had to go and I got a bright green MKII Golf .the full paint trim one .A fairly lurid bright mettallic green .I was driving round Hemel Hempstead one day and suddenly a whole convoy of VW's of all descriptions ,beetles even a Passat  joined me ,tooting horns and thumbs up .much excitement .They were all painted the same green as me and I had joined a youths car club again .

i wanted a later model with aircon and airbags etc and this time my wife said no more drug dealer cars ,grow up and get a sensible colour so I now have a Silver Golf .No teenage clubs for this one  Everyone has a silver Golf .In fact if I was a drug dealer I would buy a silver Golf but no ,they still all want big black BMW's and even Mercs .not many use Red XR3's now .At least not with floors in them .

ah the xr3 ( not to be confused with the chavtastic xr3i) my first forays into motor sport were made with one fitted twin 40 dcnfs, wasted spark ignition and lsd gearbox from the rs1600i, fourpot vents on the front, disks from a peugeot 205 on the rear 15inch wheeels from the rs turbo and off i went hillclimbing and sprinting in the modified road going classes great fun 

• Like 1