The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Wonder if this would work on a much older engine? I'm thinking about a 1980s BMW M30 unit, 3430cc.

Don't forget I'm talking hydraulic tappets here, not the older push-rod type.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

YeeHaw!!!!!!

I forgot to mention that I saw a Rover 75 whilst “policing” our Memorial Day Parade, yesterday. I did ride a 2013 Police Harley Davidson for about 20 yards...............

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I remember correctly it's a Mayflower

Cheers,

Dave

It isn't the mayflower is a much shorter car My first car in fact was a black Mayflower FHL 7 sold by my Mum to some low life while I was away in the Royal Navy.

It isn't the mayflower is a much shorter car My first car in fact was a black Mayflower FHL 7 sold by my Mum to some low life while I was away in the Royal Navy.

Mick,

Thanks for the info - as a result I went digging on t'internet thingy.

The Mayflower was a two door car - my guess is the one shown in the photo is a Triumph Renown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Renown

No, I'd not heard of it either - seems to be a four door larger body not dissimilar to the Mayflower

Regards,

Dave

Mick,

Thanks for the info - as a result I went digging on t'internet thingy.

The Mayflower was a two door car - my guess is the one shown in the photo is a Triumph Renown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Renown

No, I'd not heard of it either - seems to be a four door larger body not dissimilar to the Mayflower

Regards,

Dave

Way back in the day when I served my time at a Leland garage some time in the early 1970s we still had lots of sixties cars on the books quite a few fifties cars and even the odd forties car made an appearance from time to time this was a time before most had become collectable back then they were just old cars many being run on a shoe string because in those pre easy to get HP days that was all some people could afford.

One old chap had a Triumph Renown which was maroon in colour and once a week on market day he would get it out the garage take his wife to the market then when he got home would polish it and put it back in his garage, every six months he would bring it in for a service but over the years his polishing had taken the paint off all the sharp panel edges and exposed the undercoat making the car look like it had been coach lined all over. It actually looked quite good, thinking back we used to have some wonderful old cars come in the workshop back then – good times but like the Leland garage all gone now.

• Like 2

''Dear Ian, I wish to complain, your 'like' button is far too small, please see to it that a much larger item is installed forthwith''.

I think that much over used word 'awesome' was surely coined to describe these fabulous cars... I know I've mentioned it elsewhere already but a few years back, coming home along the A45 from the NEC Classic Car Show I was overtaken by three of them, it was on the relatively quiet stretch approaching the Rugby turn off and the sight / sound of these racing thoroughbreds literally blasting past me one by one will stay with me till I'm six foot under... the Autumnal light was just starting to fade and they looked superb as they went past, it was almost like an out take of McQueen's 'Le Mans' film and was utterley glorious...!

(The new isuue of 'Octane' mag is out today and has a nice spread on GT40s with some lovely period photos... ;) )

Triumph Reknown was designed by Mulliner,as was it's baby brother the  Mayflower. The Ford GT 40 was so called because it was 40 inches high. It had bulges in the roof to give clearance for crash helmets. 

Edited by Catweasel

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, in the red corner......

post-4295-0-61844500-1401293505_thumb.jpg

EDIT - there are some odd artefacts in the paint finish - click on the photo to get rid of them and add impact!

Not everyone will know what this is, so this helps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250_GT_SWB_Breadvan

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2

EDIT - there are some odd artefacts in the paint finish - click on the photo to get rid of them and add impact!

Not everyone will know what this is, so this helps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250_GT_SWB_Breadvan

I prefer the “standard” Ferrari 250 GTO - neither of which are reasonably priced anymore....(if they were, ever).

I expect a full panoply of photos after the weekend, Ian. Any Owners Club “get togethers” this year?

Best, Pete.

Seeing the Moggie there reminded me that I recently went around the factory, well worth £12.50 if you're in the area, but you need to book, they aren't all old, but looking at some of the equipment they use to build them..........

post-18627-0-96476100-1401388155_thumb.jpg

There are a few historic cars at the start of the visit

post-18627-0-02038300-1401388113_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-64779600-1401388116_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-57799300-1401388119_thumb.jpg

but it's sometimes hard to tell whats old and what's new

post-18627-0-98481900-1401388129_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-94258100-1401388125_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-74585200-1401388133_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-48903100-1401388584_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-94146300-1401388161_thumb.jpg

But not always

post-18627-0-14528100-1401389003_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-66776100-1401388158_thumb.jpg

There's also the museum

post-18627-0-71266900-1401388163_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-92423200-1401388149_thumb.jpg

If you want to buy one, a trike is £30,000

post-18627-0-68319100-1401388107_thumb.jpg

But if you want it without paint it's an additional £5,000

post-18627-0-63316500-1401388110_thumb.jpg

Edited by peter220950
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Peter - many thanks for those photos and it shows what I missed as I was in Malvern over the weekend but with it being a Bank Holiday, the factory was all locked up. We went to the Food Festival in the grounds of the Priory and then my wife wanted to go proper shopping which meant the M&S store - she thought I knew a short cut when I turned into Pickersleigh Road but I wasn't even allowed to stop and press my nose up against the glass :nono:

attachicon.gifDSC_6050a.jpg

I remember seeing the Breadvan at Goodwood 2009. While I still prefer the 250 GTO, I must say that it is one of the most unique 1-off Ferrari's I have ever seen

Peter - many thanks for those photos and it shows what I missed as I was in Malvern over the weekend but with it being a Bank Holiday, the factory was all locked up. We went to the Food Festival in the grounds of the Priory and then my wife wanted to go proper shopping which meant the M&S store - she thought I knew a short cut when I turned into Pickersleigh Road but I wasn't even allowed to stop and press my nose up against the glass :nono:

I went the to meet up with my brother, who lives in Nottingham and came on a coach trip organised by Woolaton Travel. A little closer to you, if it's of of interest it may be worth giving them a ring to see if it's a regular trip?

I suspect I might not be welcome again having rocked up in the mini-beast and parked it in their car-park!

post-18627-0-23704000-1401713955_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I remember seeing the Breadvan at Goodwood 2009. While I still prefer the 250 GTO, I must say that it is one of the most unique 1-off Ferrari's I have ever seen

Aren't all one-offs of anything equally unique?  :jester: