The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Nice.

The tarted up Countryman next to it looks a bit weird......(I hope you don’t own it, otherwise “RetroMod”!)

Best, Pete.

With it's full height doors and wind up windows it looks like a Clubman Estate that's been 'backdated' with a glue on Countryman / Traveller wood kit! And no it's not mine!

• RMweb Premium

So I learnt today my car is an OLD car in a Classics format!

2001 Rover 75 2.5 KV6 auto Connessuer,

Well I knew it was good anyway, and more important I like it. TBH, there is nothing being sold today that is newer that I would remotely want either.

Stewart

Your post put a smile on my face, I too driver a similar vintage Rover 75, although mine is a 2.0 litre diesel, not the KV6.  Like you, I wouldn't swap mine for anything else (except possibly a Tourer version, so I can get the layout in!)

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Rover 75 has a very wide circle of friends, I think. Almost the right car produced at the wrong time, I have known people buy 2 in a row, which says it all. The BMW diesel can be helpful, of course.

The Rover 75 has a very wide circle of friends, I think. Almost the right car produced at the wrong time, I have known people buy 2 in a row, which says it all. The BMW diesel can be helpful, of course.

Funnily enough, the most reliable engine in the 75, is the KV6, which was derived from the Metro K engines, basically 2 blocks in a V formation. The most unreliable are the BMW variants - just read the club forums. And experience with mine has seena number of silly failures caused by - BMW stamped components. Things like multiplug connectors for instance.

I got mine as the second owner, around 58k. I do about 20k a year, now done just over 180k. Been converted to lpg since soon after I bought it. I don't service it at the proper intervals, just keep going round it (not too frequently) like the Forth bridge painting. Oil changes only seem to get done about every 20k+ - but lpg is much cleaner, a few months motoring and it is still the original colour! A drop of diesel oil in now and again cleans it up internally and really quietens the tappets, usually done prior to the oil change.

Funny how those that used to knock the Rover range seemed to buy them after the company folded (probably because they were then cheap seconhand), and commented how good they actually were. I've met quite a few people who did that.

Mind you, only got a Rover myself when they abandoned the Austin and Morris names.....did over 250k in my Austin A30, bought for £50 at 12 years old with about 80k on the clock.

Stewart

• Like 2

That's interesting. How much diesel oil do you put in?

Not an oil change, though I did that once for just a few days. Just enough to top it up, say a litre or maybe 2. Not every time though, stick to your regular oil normally. Diesel oil apparently has stronger detergents added (because those horrible engines are filthy beggars lol).

As the less than enthusiastic driver of a 1.8 petrol engined '75 for six months about ten years ago, it came as no great surprise when the company folded a year or so later. Mine was not only the thirstiest car I'd had in many years, it was also the most unreliable with various bits falling off - exterior trim, switches, indicator stalk, wiper, rear passenger door window, - the list was almost endless considering I only had it six months. Ironically the only time it was actually disabled was when it's thirst caught me out and it ran out of petrol!

Handling was strange, certainly not for enthusiastic drivers, but given the sedate pace possible with the 1.8, it was of little significance. A couple of colleagues had earlier diesel engined models built in the immediate post - BMW days and were extremely enthusiastic about them, perhaps the cost cutting which was apparent with mine had yet to take effect.

I had the pleasure of a prolonged hire in a Rover 75 2.5 V6 and loved it. I probably had it for seven or eight months, I didn't care to work out the fuel consumption as the company was picking up the tab and I might have felt guilty if it was as bad as I thought it probably was! It was a rather nice thing to be in, well built and with a lovely engine. It was a lot faster than it looked too. There was (probably still is) a stretch of road from the M1 towards Rotherham which was dual carriageway with loads of roundabouts in it. I used to have huge fun watching BMWs (for it invariably was one) pull into the outside lane as we went into a roundabout with a view to out dragging the lardy Rover out of it. She could really pick her skirts and skoot could the old girl!

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of a prolonged hire in a Rover 75 2.5 V6 and loved it. I probably had it for seven or eight months, I didn't care to work out the fuel consumption as the company was picking up the tab and I might have felt guilty if it was as bad as I thought it probably was! It was a rather nice thing to be in, well built and with a lovely engine. It was a lot faster than it looked too. There was (probably still is) a stretch of road from the M1 towards Rotherham which was dual carriageway with loads of roundabouts in it. I used to have huge fun watching BMWs (for it invariably was one) pull into the outside lane as we went into a roundabout with a view to out dragging the lardy Rover out of it. She could really pick her skirts and skoot could the old girl!

I'll repeat my mpg figures I quoted earlier - 32mpg local, 42 mpg on a long run. Same on petrol or lpg (which of course is around 1/2 the cost). So on a run I'm paying out for what amouts to an 80 mpg, V6 auto, which I am not light footed with nowadays...don't need to think about it at those prices. I can get lpg at less than 65p per litre.

A major failing with all the 2.5 engines apparently from new in many cases was faulty VIS motors in the inlet manifold, giving a more sluggish performance (if they really are working you will be surprised at the difference!) and more thirst for fuel. In simple terms, these 2 motors control flaps in the air intake pathe, to vary the length to an optimum. Poor design detail sees microswitches not working, burnt out pcb tracks, and motors soaked in oil. The online owners club has tackled this; mine have been quite simply modified to overcome these faults, and a plug in tester made to check them out. Garages used to pick them up as faulty, and change them for brand new (£400 each was it, I can't remember), a good proportion of the new ones were faulty on installation. If not they failed soon after. Thing is, it kept going, but as I said, fix them and it makes one heck of a difference.

Stewart

Long Live Rover

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I used to run large Vauxhalls until they got too old when my last one was written off (not my fault nor my last cars RIP).

Once came up behind a Toyota Lexus Altezza 200, a 2 litre 6 cylinder compact exective. Not going fast. So I commenced an overtake.

The driver booted it when I pulled out to pass, my car was also 6 cylinder but bigger, so I booted it passed but I could hear his engine revving hard. He think he felt a fool.

I have an off roader now.

Not an oil change, though I did that once for just a few days. Just enough to top it up, say a litre or maybe 2. Not every time though, stick to your regular oil normally. Diesel oil apparently has stronger detergents added (because those horrible engines are filthy beggars lol).

Wonder if this would work on a much older engine? I'm thinking about a 1980s BMW M30 unit, 3430cc.

Well, I've been using Valvoline Super Diesel in the B family vehicle fleet, both cars and motorcycles, for years. Whilst I haven't taken the lid off MrsB's 1998 Toyota HiLux yet, it's just ticked over 300,000 kms and makes no unpleasant noises. My own Suzuki Carry van is knocking on 250,000 km and does burn a little oil but has no knocks or rattles. My BMW K100 bike also saw 250,000 kms before being retired in favour of a newer BM (which also got fed the stuff, but was written off in a crash long before it had the opportunity to wear out). The inside of the cam cover was always pristine when I waved a feeler gauge at the tappets and he cam lobes were perfect. My 2008 Suzuki DR650 trail bike is on 65,000 km and, again, runs like new, with top-end internals that are sparkling clean.

As a result, I'm pretty confident that diesel oil used in an already fairly clean engine will do no harm, although I'd stop short of taking any responsibility if anyone else's engine grinds to a halt :D.

OTOH, I'm not sure if I'd put a high detergent oil in an engine of high mileage and unknown provenance. I'd be worried that it might shift crud that's been minding its own business in a corner for the last decade and encourage it to take a tour of the bearings.

Edit: I should add that my fondness for this oil is largely based on its cheapness in 20l containers, combined with it being of appropriate API rating and approximately correct viscosity for all the engines I use it in, rather than any detergent qualities it may have. It also helps that it doesn't contain any additives which might upset the wet clutch on the DR650. It saves mucking about if I can just haul out the same drum with a plunger pump screwed into it to fill or top up anything I need to. By further happy coincidence the HiLux and the Carry also share the same oil filter part number, so those tend to be bought by the Ebay job lot as well.

Edited by PatB

Fourth pic down reminds me of the old piece of humorous doggrel:

I have a car of great renown

With contours of a squarish nature

It almost topples upside-down

When I tread the acceleratue

Fourth pic down reminds me of the old piece of humorous doggrel:

I have a car of great renown

With contours of a squarish nature

It almost topples upside-down

When I tread the acceleratue

If I remember correctly it's a Mayflower