The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Looking at the Morris Oxford / Hindustan Ambassador,

Looks like it's a 90's import, in which case the importers saddled it it with the moniker 'Fullbore Mk10'

I seem to recall they replaced the horrid Indian plastic dash with a wooden one.

Just came across this Pathe News gem on another forum and thought it worth posting here - ''Traffic & Buses Of London, 1970'' ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXQA03MJgE

Twenty three minutes of pure nostalgia, see how many makes and models you can recognise! I've had a wizz through and spotted a couple of cars which stood out to me, at 3m12s in there's a 'blink and you'll miss it' glimpse of a black Radford or Wood & Pickett Mini Cooper S with blacked out windows, very posh for it's time not to mention expensive, and at 18m47s there's a nice view of an oncoming Aston Martin DB5 or 6 in metallic gold, a bit flash in those days when you see all the grey, white or black cars.

Aside from all the fantastic British made vehicles it's noticable how little street furniture there is and how grey and brown a lot of the buildings were back then, whereas today most have been given a thorough clean up. Also of note is that the vast majority of vehicles are still wearing black and white or black and silver number plates, very few have the newfangled reflective white and yellow sort which would have added a few quid to the price of a new car in those days.

If anybody wants me I'll be down the shed knocking up a time machine.... ;)

• Like 6

Went to a rally at the weekend and I didnt know a friend had taken these untill he posted them on my facebook, The Rovers rad in close up and me and the wife leaving the rally at the end of a very hot but good day. Steve

post-17847-0-78344700-1400520241_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-86858600-1400520253_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just came across this Pathe News gem on another forum and thought it worth posting here - ''Traffic & Buses Of London, 1970'' ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXQA03MJgE

Twenty three minutes of pure nostalgia, see how many makes and models you can recognise! I've had a wizz through and spotted a couple of cars which stood out to me, at 3m12s in there's a 'blink and you'll miss it' glimpse of a black Radford or Wood & Pickett Mini Cooper S with blacked out windows, very posh for it's time not to mention expensive, and at 18m47s there's a nice view of an oncoming Aston Martin DB5 or 6 in metallic gold, a bit flash in those days when you see all the grey, white or black cars.

Aside from all the fantastic British made vehicles it's noticable how little street furniture there is and how grey and brown a lot of the buildings were back then, whereas today most have been given a thorough clean up. Also of note is that the vast majority of vehicles are still wearing black and white or black and silver number plates, very few have the newfangled reflective white and yellow sort which would have added a few quid to the price of a new car in those days.

Not forgetting the period advertising hoardings. This looks like one of those 'outtakes' compilations.

Three things stand out to me - the lack of traffic; the chaotic manner in which it's being drive, especially around Trafalgar Sq; the variety and general age of the vehicles. Considering modern vehicles are generally reckoned to be much longer lived than their predecessors, there's a lot of old vehicles in that film, even excluding the 20 plus year old RTs. part from the age of the buses, nothing much has changed really.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the vehicles in there were quite new. The oldest vehicle I spotted was a Vauxhall Wyvern or Cresta about 12-14 years old. One other vehicle was the French registered 2CV on the embankment, the only foreign registered vehicle I could see. There was also two Ford Falcons, an estate and a sedan near the beginning of the film outside a building flying the Canadian flag, diplomatic cars perhaps? 

• RMweb Premium

at 3m12s in there's a 'blink and you'll miss it' glimpse of a black Radford or Wood & Pickett Mini Cooper S with blacked out windows, very posh for it's time not to mention expensive,

And shortly after there is a Mk 1 Lotus Cortina parked up .

• Like 1

Princess VDP limousine, 3 litre VDP at Hyde Park,(posh Austin A110 Westminster), Sunbeam Stilleto, Karrier Bantam urban artic.Did you notice the lack of guards and rear under run bumpers on the trucks? A lot of good stuff there. 

There was a Jag MK9 near Hide park in one shot, some of the RT would last till 1977 in London. I'm not sure what the front entrance double decker was at 17.00 either a Leyland Atlantian or a Daimler Fleetline - I think Atlantian. Back to the cars as well as Mk 2 jags I saw a Daimler 420 and four MK 10s but only one XJ6. Great film, thanks for posting

• RMweb Premium

There was a Jag MK9 near Hide park in one shot, some of the RT would last till 1977 in London. I'm not sure what the front entrance double decker was at 17.00 either a Leyland Atlantian or a Daimler Fleetline - I think Atlantian. Back to the cars as well as Mk 2 jags I saw a Daimler 420 and four MK 10s but only one XJ6. Great film, thanks for posting

Atlantean, the Fleetlines were all green.

Noone's yet mentioned Flash Harry in his Mustang convertible in the very first shot.

I'm reminded of how staggeringly common some vehicles were, like the Bedford CA, and how rare some have become, like the Ford Corsair, to name but one example. OTOH, the Triumph Herald van and the Standard Atlas were never particularly prolific.

The bright yellow Alpine(?) sports car towards the end must have turned a few heads.

I was also intrigued by the back end of what appeared to be a very small,square van in red and white pulling ahead of the camera on the left but tantalisingly obscured as far as identification was concerned.

A couple of shots from last Sunday's London to Brighton Mini Run... a 1969 Mk2 Morris Cooper 1275 S modified in Wood & Picket style... before the start of the run at Crystal Palace I had a chat with the owner who told me when he bought it a few years ago it had spent thirty seven years stored in a lock up, it was originally mauve but the paintwork was so bad he had it resprayed standard BMC 'Tartan Red' instead....

post-7638-0-51648000-1400872807.jpg

post-7638-0-01129800-1400872833.jpg

As per usual I took hundreds of shots on the day but only a handful are of any use!

• Like 6

So I learnt today my car is an OLD car in a Classics format!

2001 Rover 75 2.5 KV6 auto Connessuer, featured (in a very positive vein) in Practical Classics magazine. She's done over 180k, is converted to run on lpg (by me) and achieves around 32mpg (local) and at least 42mpg on long runs - that is with half-price fuel too. Going in shortly to have the cambelts changed for the 2nd time in my ownership, though I normally do most things myself.

Well I knew it was good anyway, and more important I like it. TBH, there is nothing being sold today that is newer that I would remotely want either.

Stewart

• Like 1