The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Rugd1022. Thanks for that mate. i must admit to being proud of her. She's not standard though. I've got a bigger motor under the bonnet,7 litres, bored out when I did the unleaded conversion and I've also fitted disc brakes on the front. Bolt on from a Spirit. Driven gently she'll do 14 mpg but round town she's down to about 8! What the hell.

I'd love to see some more photos of the RR Catweasel... any chance you could post a few please, for our collective visual entertainment...?

What is it like to drive by the way? I'd imagine it's a sublime experience, with finger-light power steering and superb waftability.... and do you get the chance to use it much...?

Edited by Rugd1022

In the 1970's there were plenty to choose from. :beee:

Yes, but it doesn't stop unscrupulous sellers from trying to fob you off with the cheaper Chancellor of the Exchequer version ;).

post-13505-0-75639000-1397653202.jpg

post-13505-0-30427100-1397653218.jpg

post-13505-0-58139600-1397653228.jpg

post-13505-0-77473300-1397653239.jpg

A couple for you to look at. The steering, when standard was awful. It was finger light so I've had it re-valved and it now has weight to it. Because of the cars weight, 2 1/2 tons, she smothers bumps quite well but due to it being coach built, an occasional shudder comes through.

• Like 1

Lovely - and very 'regal'!

The power steering in my P5B is very light too, it's very easy to throw the car into a corner thinking it'll right itself before exiting and it can catch out the unwary sometimes. It took some getting used to with the first one I had a few years ago, driving it home from the dealer I thought something was terribly amis but I soon got the hang of it and wouldn't be without it now in such a big heavy car. When my mate took my previous white Coupe for a spin at Gaydon, the light PAS and sheer weight of the car caught him out at first, he tried to drive it like he normally would in his MGB GT...

post-7638-0-64151500-1397656322.jpg

post-7638-0-74983500-1397656374.jpg

• Like 5

A friend in the club has an MG. It's not a true MGB - it's had the bonnet from an MGC fitted, apparently (well, I think that's what he said!).

post-5925-0-66066800-1397657994_thumb.jpg

The picture was taken when he was a local club meeting. Start drooling, boys!

post-5925-0-64033200-1397657995_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 5

Nice one Phil - to my mind that's how a GT ought to look! Drove my mate's example several times before he chopped it in for anSD1 and it felt very together not to mention well planted on the tarmac. I remember enjoying the driving position too, feeling nicely 'cocooned' between the sill and transmission tunnel and was surprised at how nimble it was, especially at roundabouts! If I had more room and spare dosh I'd have a B or C GT like a shot.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but it doesn't stop unscrupulous sellers from trying to fob you off with the cheaper Chancellor of the Exchequer version ;).

There were a lot of dodgy car dealers about in the 70's. One in particular I remember was called George Osborne! :scratchhead:

I think it's Frontline you're thinking of. Totally re-engineered motor. It looks like an MGB but drives like a modern. And expensive!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/frontline-MGB-2011-06-27

That's mere pennies in comparison to the specced up Mk2 Jag that JD Classics can offer the discerning punter.... over half a million quid was the asking price of one of the first ones they did last year, which was featured in Octane magazine! Mind you, from the write up it looked and sounded a blinder...

• RMweb Gold

The is the MGB GT Mum owned around 1973.

post-5613-0-47392800-1397664075_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-72408900-1397664080_thumb.jpg

My own cars have always been more mundane apart from the Saab 96 mentioned earlier and rather a lot of Citroens over the years.

I must be getting old as I drive a Toyota now.

• Like 4

There are plus and minus to running a classic car. Although I enjoy cheap classic insurance,I am limited to mileage per annum. I don't have road tax to bother with,but I do have to watch where I park. I've got a tracker on board plus a state of the art alarm system but car parks are a pain. Modern bays aren't big enough. I also have to garage the beast and she ain't small. I had to have a custom built job,wide enough to open the doors fully. Cellulose paint is soft and she has alloy panels. Garage size is 24 ft long and 15 wide! Being an unusual car gets me a lot of looks but she's great at clearing the motorway lane hogs.

• Like 5

There are plus and minus to running a classic car. Although I enjoy cheap classic insurance,I am limited to mileage per annum......

I find 7500 miles plenty for a car that only goes up the M1 to the stables and back at weekends, and goes to a couple of shows during the year.

Insurance is only £150 this year on the 635CSi. Still not tax exempt, though.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's Frontline you're thinking of. Totally re-engineered motor. It looks like an MGB but drives like a modern. And expensive!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/frontline-MGB-2011-06-27

I fitted the Frontline's suspension to the front of my Midget it makes a big difference to the handling and stability.  On the Midget it replaces the lever arm dampers with adjustable telescopic dampers and a proper top wishbone, it's a very solid and well engineered solution.

There are plus and minus to running a classic car. Although I enjoy cheap classic insurance,I am limited to mileage per annum. I don't have road tax to bother with,but I do have to watch where I park. I've got a tracker on board plus a state of the art alarm system but car parks are a pain. Modern bays aren't big enough. I also have to garage the beast and she ain't small. I had to have a custom built job,wide enough to open the doors fully. Cellulose paint is soft and she has alloy panels. Garage size is 24 ft long and 15 wide! Being an unusual car gets me a lot of looks but she's great at clearing the motorway lane hogs.

Thankyou for this Catweasel you've reminded me about getting trackers fitted to mine!

As I type this I'm picturing myself wafting along the M4 in the outside lane in my P5B, with the front end of your Crewe built missile rapidly filling my rear view mirror.... :wub:

Ed - one of the other Mk1 Granadas (RHJ 997R) also survives and belongs to a fellow member of The Sweeney Forum (as does NHK 295M which is almost finished). A Bentley T1 which was used in the show also survives and was recently on ebay.

Edit : there's another Mk1 Granada 'doing the rounds' which purports to be a 'stunt car' used in the show but this is not true. It has appeared at shows with fake 'NHK 295M' plates and signs implying that it is the real deal but one of our Sweeney Forum members interviewed the late great stunt co-ordinator Peter Brayham a few years ago, who told him that such a car never existed on the show.

Likewise there are three Minis doing the rounds with Italian Job numberplates which aren't the "real deal" either - the Minis in the film were given "future dated" plates for filming so that they would appear "new" when the film was released (of course if the IJ Minis survived they wouldn't be allowed to use the "future dated" plates on the road). If I recall correctly, the three Coopers used in the film were all destroyed filming the sewer sequence (attempting a 360 degree roll across the roof of the pipe) - the Minis pushed down the cliff were standard Minis painted to look like Coopers - hence only having fuel fillers on one side.

Yes those Italian Job Minis are very good replicas, but it's worth adding that the owners have never made out that they are the genuine cars used in the film. One of the reasons the prodcers had to use late build Mk1s was because BMC would not let them have the 'new' Mk2 Cooper Ss at a knock down price. Mk1 production ended in September '67 and the film wasn't made until the Summer of '68, hence the G plates on the cars. Quite a lot of late Mk1 Minis and Coopers hung around dealerships unsold for well over a year as people wanted the newer, slightly upgraded Mk2, but at the time you could get the older Mk1 on a G plate at a knock down price.

In all 22 Minis bit the dust during the filming of The Italian Job, most of them being bog standard but tarted up 850s!

• RMweb Premium

Yes those Italian Job Minis are very good replicas, but it's worth adding that the owners have never made out that they are the genuine cars used in the film. One of the reasons the prodcers had to use late build Mk1s was because BMC would not let them have the 'new' Mk2 Cooper Ss at a knock down price. Mk1 production ended in September '67 and the film wasn't made until the Summer of '68, hence the G plates on the cars. Quite a lot of late Mk1 Minis and Coopers hung around dealerships unsold for well over a year as people wanted the newer, slightly upgraded Mk2, but at the time you could get the older Mk1 on a G plate at a knock down price.

In all 22 Minis bit the dust during the filming of The Italian Job, most of them being bog standard but tarted up 850s!

Just how many vehicles were destroyed in The Italian Job?