The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

IMHO the best car I ever owned was an F reg Nissan Prairie 1.8 GL extreamly comfortable, reliable and very capacious. Regretably it was written off after being rear ended by a truck. It would be difficult to find another today as according to the DVLA there is only seven left and only three on the road.

You might have to consider importing from Australia. There are still a few around, RHD too. Mind you, although cars don't rust (as much) here, they tend to become thoroughly knackered in other ways. The sun eats all the plastics and sometimes the paint, mechanics-both amateur and "professional"-butcher them, drivers with no sense of where the extremities are crease all the corners.

• Like 1

Australia is the only place where RHD Citroën SMs exist...

Going a bit OT, are Citroen changing their name? Was watching Sky arts Landscape artist of the year programme & it's sponsored by 'DS5 from DS automobiles'. Had a look at their website & they are flogging DS3's, 4's & 5's with no mention of Citroen?

Or are they some kind of marketing offshoot...?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

You might have to consider importing from Australia. There are still a few around, RHD too. Mind you, although cars don't rust (as much) here, they tend to become thoroughly knackered in other ways. The sun eats all the plastics and sometimes the paint, mechanics-both amateur and "professional"-butcher them, drivers with no sense of where the extremities are crease all the corners.

Might be possible to import one from Japan.

Australia is the only place where RHD Citroën SMs exist...

I read in one of the classic carmags a while back that a few of those converted SMs have been imported here in Blighty, I'm sure there was a RHD one on display at the NEC a few years ago too.

I had a brief 'go' in a workmate's LHD '70s Camaro last year, it scared the crap out of me! I asked him how he copes with overtaking when the view from the nearside is more restricted than in a RHD car, he said he just has to hang back a little further to get a better view and plan the overtake accordingly. I suppose it takes practice but I've never quite got on with LHD cars.... odd considering all the locos I drive are left hookers!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

Might be possible to import one from Japan.

Maybe, but the grey import industries of Australia and New Zealand have, to a large extent, stripped all the good stuff out of Japan. Even 10 years ago, when I was involved in the regulation of the industry here, all that seemed to be left was the dregs.

OTOH, something fairly mundane (I mean no offence) may not have seen the kind of insane demand that some of the more desirable machinery did so you might strike lucky.

I read in one of the classic carmags a while back that a few of those converted SMs have been imported here in Blighty, I'm sure there was a RHD one on display at the NEC a few years ago too.

I had a brief 'go' in a workmate's LHD '70s Camaro last year, it scared the crap out of me! I asked him how he copes with overtaking when the view from the nearside is more restricted than in a RHD car, he said he just has to hang back a little further to get a better view and plan the overtake accordingly. I suppose it takes practice but I've never quite got on with LHD cars.... odd considering all the locos I drive are left hookers!

A mate, long ago, told me that the trick is to always have a passenger. You pull out a bit while watching the passenger's face. If they go white, you pull back in again. Simple :D.

I read in one of the classic carmags a while back that a few of those converted SMs have been imported here in Blighty, I'm sure there was a RHD one on display at the NEC a few years ago too....

Originally only three were converted in the UK by Middleton Motors (Potters Bar, I think) - all of them went to Australia. A further 20 were converted by these guys - don't know if they are taking on any new work, but their page still offers the conversion service.

Originally only three were converted in the UK by Middleton Motors (Potters Bar, I think) - all of them went to Australia. A further 20 were converted by these guys - don't know if they are taking on any new work, but their page still offers the conversion service.

I'm curious as to why, on their website, a photograph labelled RHD Conversion Interior quite clearly shows a LHD car.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to why, on their website, a photograph labelled RHD Conversion Interior quite clearly shows a LHD car.

Possibly because, in order to end up with one SM in RHD, you need to start with a LHD car....

Given what I've been told in the past about Australian labour costs, I'd suppose the cost of the conversion is at least as much as the cost of buying a Cit SM in the first place......and then you have to add on the cost of shipping it to the UK.

• Like 1

Driving a LHD military Land Rover on the motorway is huge fun.....just watching the peoples' faces as they draw level when overtaking?  :)

Nightmare when dealing with roundabouts, as one has to steer in entirely the wrong direction compared to everyone else, just to see if it's clear to go?

Confuses them to hell, it does!  :)

• Like 1

From the site below?

http://www.retroclassiccar.com/1967-ford-mustang-coupe-p85

SKU_3757d0bf8282bed.jpg

The above has to be, for me, somewhat of a bargain [compared to similar displayed on ebay?]

I have to admit, I have been seriously tempted by this car.....especially so as it's the 6-pot.....which is eminently tuneable should one wish to do so?  { I wouldn't want a V8...not for a 'daily driver' as this would have had to be.]

But I have to be sensible in my retirement, and maybe get something much older to run about in?   :)

• Like 4

If it's what you want, buy it. My dad had been hankering over a sports car since he retired in '89.

Only when he had to give up driving completely in 2013 due to failing eyesight did he express regret at not buying one.

I have to admit, I have been seriously tempted by this car.....especially so as it's the 6-pot.....which is eminently tuneable should one wish to do so?  { I wouldn't want a V8...not for a 'daily driver' as this would have had to be.]

But I have to be sensible in my retirement, and maybe get something much older to run about in?   :)

With apologies to our 2 wheeled colleagues and yes I realise you are retired but-

Do you drive to work, or work to drive?

Do it even if you only keep it 6 months, life is far too short  to regret what we didnt do!

If you do sell it after 6 months (or however long) you should get your money back because the only way the value of that car is going is upwards.

A mate, long ago, told me that the trick is to always have a passenger. You pull out a bit while watching the passenger's face. If they go white, you pull back in again. Simple :D.

Trouble is they might have fallen asleep.....

My better half tends to fall asleep very easily when a passenger in a car. When she wakes up in the passenger seat of a LHD car she suffers momentary panic about falling asleep while driving. One day I will hide a spare steering wheel in the car and pass it over to wake her up!

All the best

Katy

Edited by Kickstart

....One day I hide a spare steering wheel in the car and pass it over to wake her up!

She might start doing the same as the passenger in this Romanian-registered Lada:

http://youtu.be/mIMKzESttlQ

The irony is that a lot of RHD ex-British cars here are now on Romanian plates, and some are looking decidedly ropey.

Edited by Horsetan

She might start doing the same as the passenger in this Romanian-registered Lada:

The irony is that a lot of RHD ex-British cars here are now on Romanian plates, and some are looking decidedly ropey.

She would need to stay awake to do that.

It did get a lot of odd looks once when she gave a friend a lift to A&E when they got brake fluid in their eyes. Someone in the right hand seat with their head down splashing water into their eyes while the car is driving down the road was a touch unusual.

All the best

Katy

• RMweb Gold

An ex-colleague had a UK registered LHD car and was returning home from the pub somewhat worse for drink. He was the passenger, his wife was driving. They got pulled over by the boys in blue. Stepping up to the offside window, the officer proceeded to ask the usual questions, getting slurred answers. Asking my mate to get out, he suddenly spied the other officer in fits of laughter. It was then then penny dropped as to who the driver was...

Edited by Stubby47

Exactly the same thing happened to my father decades ago in Cardiff. He was very much the worse for wear as a passenger sitting in the front of his beautiful LHD 220s fintail [finished with full 300 chrome]. The penny dropped when the officer asked where his steering wheel was.

Tony

• Like 5

Hi

I had a similar thing when I first brought the lhd car into the country. There was a random drink drive road block. I stopped and the copper walk round to the off side of the car, looked down and suddenly had a major 'oh ****' expression on his face

All the best

Katy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not a fantastic vintage car - just an old radiator. 

30122846826_b4a2b1f86d_c.jpg

But why the rather obvious 'join'?  I am rather hoping that some of you more knowledgable will have an answer.

30043543512_4b35e07257_c.jpg

It looks far older than 1972 which is when the car was registered.

Here's hoping

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines