The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 19/07/2024 at 20:29, Sidecar Racer said:

I wonder if this was the birth mother of  the Capri ???

The original (Consul) Capri should have had that covered, but the go didn't match the show. The concept was also, perhaps, a few years too soon for Ford buyers who, don't forget, had only recently been getting a fourth gear.

It should logically have been Ford's answer to the stylish and pokey Sunbeam Rapier IV.

Had Ford put the 1500 GT motor in it from the beginning, rather than the plodding 1340, it might have had a chance but, by the time they did, it looked like a rescue mission. 

With the Mk.1 Cortina concurrently inventing the fleet car market and cleaning up in the process, the die was cast for what, at the time, was always going to be a niche model.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, alastairq said:

Now,  with that, I could foresee a European {UK?} version of the Ford Thunderbird?   

So long as there was also a rag-top version, that might well have done for the MGB had it gone into production....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bastille Day, a week ago, saw the usual fête at Tuffé Lac. I arrived by Picasso railcar, which stabled in the platform for an hour and a half, but was on my way back to rejoin it when this appeared. The camera was in my rucksack by this time, so the phone had to be deployed. The rope around the bumper and the strap across the bonnet tell their own tales. The occupants were not swanky Parisians, either. But the registration dates from about 2019. 

IMG_7329.jpeg.180c20911e7f8c23d8de2bb0c20a1554.jpeg

• Like 10

I dont know anything about old French cars, mainly because few of them arrived here, but that photo reminds me of this one that was at the car show at the local school a couple of months ago.

P1240240.JPG.ae67cb73c6096aa2c03682d71d18655f.JPG

"Old cars" to most Australians mean Holden or Ford Bathurst  muscle!

(from the same show...)

P1240249_reduced.jpg.cf22b97ba669d51123e90a22be93a5ec.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

Speaking of French cars, who had one of these monsters?   They look like superb layout transporters.

GS-8L7JWQAACbU6.jpg.0fe08de64062cf9f787589dcea3f88df.jpg

And very comfortable. But the hydro-pneumatic suspension required very skilled attention to get the unions tightened but not over-tightened, so maintenance could be an issue for older vehicles. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I remember seeing them on horse racing TV programmes, with a camera crew on the roof as the car followed the horses.  Speaks volumes for the suspension designers.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

Speaking of French cars, who had one of these monsters?   They look like superb layout transporters.

GS-8L7JWQAACbU6.jpg.0fe08de64062cf9f787589dcea3f88df.jpg

I very nearly purchased one (the same colour), thirty plus years ago. The reason I didn't was that it was a (very thirsty) petrol model. That was why it was so cheap. My car at the time was an Allegro 1300 estate, similar in concept and comfort but less complicated and a lot cheaper to run.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some 57,000 were built in a factory by the GWR at Slough, with the CV joints made at Laycocks of Sheffield who at the time were part owned by a French company.

image.jpeg.71ec7c1739860fc35a3c58757de28ccf.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2024 at 23:16, PhilJ W said:

There was also the Cortina Saxon.

image.png.db3b058657cecf4382c4f3b92f098caf.png

The illustration above is the replica based on the full size clay model which had different side options. This is confirmed by looking at the nearside window shape/pillars. Also the modified side panels above the rear lights.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/07/2024 at 06:56, Sidecar Racer said:

There has been a series of articles on Facebook of late extolling the wonders of some

British sports cars of the past , sound great until they use AI to generate a photo of the

subject car , so for your amusement or even amazement I give you ..........

The 1959 MGA 1500 is a charming British sports car known for its classic design and spirited performance. With its sleek, curvaceous body and distinctively styled front grille, the MGA quickly became an icon of 1950s motoring. Powered by a 1.5-liter inline-four engine, it produced around 68 horsepower, delivering a lively driving experience, especially on winding roads. The lightweight construction and responsive handling contributed to its appeal among driving enthusiasts. Inside, the MGA featured a driver-focused layout, with simple yet functional controls. Its combination of style, performance, and affordability has made the 1959 MGA 1500 a beloved choice among classic car collectors and enthusiasts.

Photo below ,

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

image.png.19cce74e31a78ab24718f5d012fcc6bf.png

Is this a real car despite the license plate ? 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And very comfortable. But the hydro-pneumatic suspension required very skilled attention to get the unions tightened but not over-tightened, so maintenance could be an issue for older vehicles. 

A friend of a friend had one which was parked up in his grassy field but ended up becoming immovable.  As it dropped on the suspension, the body was resting on the ground and he couldn't get the car started to raise the suspension.  Unfortunately it was also blocking access for any other vehicle to get round in front to jump start it, or raise it onto a tow truck............  I never did hear how he solved the problem.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Dominion said:

Is this a real car despite the license plate ? 

Well I can see elements of MGC, Aston Martin DB2/4, Austin Healey 3000 and Sunbeam Tiger in that, so I'm going to say no.  Looks nice though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Well I can see elements of MGC, Aston Martin DB2/4, Austin Healey 3000 and Sunbeam Tiger in that, so I'm going to say no.  Looks nice though.

And Triumph GT6.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

28 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

A friend of a friend had one which was parked up in his grassy field but ended up becoming immovable.  As it dropped on the suspension, the body was resting on the ground and he couldn't get the car started to raise the suspension.  Unfortunately it was also blocking access for any other vehicle to get round in front to jump start it, or raise it onto a tow truck............  I never did hear how he solved the problem.

About forty years ago a chap along the street I live in had a DS. He was working underneath it but instead of using a suitable support he just raised the car up on the suspension. The car settled while he was still underneath it trapping him and because of the pressure on his chest he was unable to call out or breath. By the time he was found it was too late. The fire brigade simply smashed the side windows, passed a chain through and lifted the car that way wrecking it in the process.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I think it's a seal problem on the differential .

image.png.812bddd8e473739ecce6e32c3b59f254.png

You could strike terror into the owner when the animal had gone by saying I think your diff seals gone mate!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Here's a blast from the past - the ratty old Mk2 Jag used in 'Withnail & I', pictured as bought at Shepperton Studios in June 1986, the plate is now on a VW...

WITHNAILIMK2JAGSHEPPERTONSTUDIOSJUNE1986.jpg.78f22d4fbc453d680ee05d716ea2acba.jpg

WITHNAILJAG3.jpg.b33c756991ba56b4ac127a88fde49349.jpg

WITHNAILJAG2HENRYHARRIS.jpg.8dbca6a4ced6eb77a4e8ab0d82858962.jpg

WITHNAILJAG4.jpg.e171569c5fc6b07a552ad569adcc1192.jpg

WITHNAILJAG5.jpg.95f5c67779d087319031f76e8c2f241d.jpg

As it appears in the film...

withnailjaguar2iq8_8089.jpg.cd7e5987be14b866ed904650c6f082d2.jpg

withnailjaguar3yz2_3623.jpg.8a590c55055285de29a27ce98ce1c53c.jpg

• Like 12