The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

12 hours ago, Hobby said:

Or cars which are now considered classics but back then were just run of the mill!

I saw something somewhere where someone was lamenting how modern cars are soulless compared to old cars.

The old car in this case was a Ford Fiesta Mk2.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2024 at 13:43, Metr0Land said:

She must drive non-stop and not below 40mph for 20 days.

I assume not for 24 hours per day - I think that after a few days without sleep nobody would be in a fit state to drive ?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

I assume not for 24 hours per day - I think that after a few days without sleep nobody would be in a fit state to drive ?

There is a film somewhere where a car was driven none stop for either 24 hours or several days. This was achieved with the use of a 'mobile pit stop', a special wide trailer* which the car was slotted into and the drivers could be changed, the car was also refuelled all while the car was moving. I think the car may have been a Jaguar but I can't be certain. I haven't been able to locate the film which would be from the 1950's or early 60's.

*The trailer was U shaped with a platform that enclosed the front and sides of the car.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Hobby said:

Or cars which are now considered classics but back then were just run of the mill!

1 hour ago, 30801 said:

I saw something somewhere where someone was lamenting how modern cars are soulless compared to old cars.

The old car in this case was a Ford Fiesta Mk2.

I had a low mileage, one owner 1.1 Mk2 Fiesta, for a couple of years, and it would have needed to be an awful lot better to qualify as either run of the mill or soulless.... I really don't remember it having any redeeming features whatever. I had to put bigger tyres on it just to make it feel safe.

Several cars earlier and almost two decades older, I had a Renault 10 (also 1.1) that would have run rings round it in economy, performance, space, comfort, handling; you  name it.

How many other small family saloons had discs all round and seats that could double as overnight accommodation in the 1960s? The latter were as or more comfortable than any other car and most beds I've experienced before or since.

John      

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

A quickie from Brooklands, two cuties from Turin...

IMG_0055.JPG.dfff29d135fac286905100ec7d09d3e9.JPG

I went to look at one of these for sale over 40 years ago. I quite liked it but for the lack of head room. Sat in the drivers seat my head was pressed up into the headlining.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I went to look at one of these for sale over 40 years ago. I quite liked it but for the lack of head room. Sat in the drivers seat my head was pressed up into the headlining.

That might have been the mattress...

Maybe you should have put the roof up! 😉

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 5

3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Flaminia Coupé, I think. 

Spot on Ian - there was another at Brooklands yesterday...

IMG_0600.JPG.e86d383bee95e13fe2886f379a56cdde.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG.bbe2757d68cffe80b1645f13e5e2e7e2.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG.ce0e71ad6fdad577f7b66f5e7b1cc231.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG.f74959a435574b647d73160280174a49.JPG

And in a Maserati 3500GT from the same period, RHD too which is very rare...

IMG_0763.JPG.582a05cbd551768608bea5a2a996e1c5.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG.14c574a060eab6099e61723b21dc6fe9.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG.ab07baef0e7399bda085c8c9eb8d4ff6.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

From the film, the car was driven 24hrs per day but it was actually a team of lady drivers working shifts

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Some more photos from yesterday's Italiana-fest at Brooklands...

Many thanks, all my yesterdays in one way or another. The "Abarth" 500 though is the star. I had a brand new White Autobianchi 500 Giardiniera back in 1968 in which my brother and myself + two mates used to visit Brands and Silverstone for the British GP. We were all 6ft + (but a bit thinner) so how we fitted in and, more importantly, made 60+ mph at times I shall never know. The canvas sunroof was a joy.

I have had many Italian cars (still have a 1996 Alfa GTV that I bought new) and when we ran 3/4 cars a few years ago I could not resist a new 595 Abarth in red with the canvas roof. It truly was fun and brought back many memories, mostly good ones...

Kind regards,

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I like the carrying handles on the Isetta....

Yes agreed I also like the registration Gigi could be very naughty...

Kind regards,

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Yes agreed I also like the registration Gigi could be very naughty...

Kind regards,

But not a valid plate .

• Agree 1

On 04/05/2024 at 20:56, Dunsignalling said:

I had a low mileage, one owner 1.1 Mk2 Fiesta, for a couple of years, and it would have needed to be an awful lot better to qualify as either run of the mill or soulless.... I really don't remember it having any redeeming features whatever. I had to put bigger tyres on it just to make it feel safe.

Several cars earlier and almost two decades older, I had a Renault 10 (also 1.1) that would have run rings round it in economy, performance, space, comfort, handling; you  name it.

How many other small family saloons had discs all round and seats that could double as overnight accommodation in the 1960s? The latter were as or more comfortable than any other car and most beds I've experienced before or since.

John      

Must be that the original is always best. I have fond memories of a pair of mk 1festas back in the 80s that were "poverty" transport sandwiched between an RS200 and a pair of XR3s. A smaller steering wheel transformed them into little go karts although the tiny discs on the 1.1 were prone to brake fade. My wife had a mk2 in the early naughties but swapped it for a polo which became elder daughter's first car.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I like the carrying handles on the Isetta....

BMWIsetta1959300cc-MagnificentMotorsEast

😀

Thats so you can pick it up and use it as a wheelbarrow.

• Agree 2