The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Does Maigret count? Its set in the 1950's when the cars used were current models.

Indeed - if you're counting series where the cars are contemporary (to either setting or filming era) there's loads more to choose from! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Indeed - if you're counting series where the cars are contemporary (to either setting or filming era) there's loads more to choose from! 

Then you can play spot the vehicle that is too new for the period depicted. Does the red sports car that appears very briefly in Ben Hur count?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Does Maigret count? Its set in the 1950's when the cars used were current models.

The modern Maigret may well count?  {Rowan Atkinson]

Aside from Tractions, there was a nice Renault 4CV & Juvaquatre.....and countless lorries [might have been the same one?]...plus a Simca [Aronde?] and a 203 & 403 Peugeot....

I watched it t'uther night!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

The modern Maigret may well count?  {Rowan Atkinson]

Still based in the 50s so the cars were contemporary, I think the earlier poster was suggesting detectives and PI's that are based in one era but drive cars from an earlier one...

The Last Detective, with Bernard Cribbins, an Austin 8 Tourer...

• Agree 1

1964 Rambler Classic which I owned for a couple of years in the mid-eighties. 3.2 litre 6-cylinder, 3-speed automatic, a very nice little car, but I just couldn't bond with it because it was right-hand drive. I prefer my Yanks to be LHD! Bought from a seller in the West Midlands, and swapped for a 1958 Austin A55 in Bradford, a subsequent owner fitted a Rover 3.5 V8 and resprayed it blue and white.

rrf 126b rambler classic.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I don't see why not, the same goes for Endeavour and Fred's Mk1 Jag, presumably....

Come to think of it, the Mk2 (or 240/340 as it became) can't have been that long out of production when Morse first appeared.

John 

• Like 1

This is Phil's post which if I'm reading it right was looking at a person from one era driving a car from a previous era, different from driving one from the same era (otherwise everything would count, Sweeney, Professionals, etc., etc.).

"Watching 'Murder in Provence' on Sunday night I see that the hero drives a CLASSIC Citroen DS. The fourth* fictional TV detective to drive a classic car AFAIK unless anyone can name any more? *Columbo, Peugeot, Bergerac, Triumph Roadster and Morse, MK II Jaguar."

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Watching 'Murder in Provence' on Sunday night I see that the hero drives a classic Citroen DS. The fourth* fictional TV detective to drive a classic car AFAIK unless anyone can name any more? *Columbo, Peugeot, Bergerac, Triumph Roadster and Morse, MK II Jaguar. 

Jack Regan travelled the mean streets of London in a very tasty classic, OK so nobody knew it at the time, and he didn’t actually drive it, but a mere minor detail I’d say 😉

• Like 3

20 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Watching 'Murder in Provence' on Sunday night I see that the hero drives a classic Citroen DS. The fourth* fictional TV detective to drive a classic car AFAIK unless anyone can name any more? *Columbo, Peugeot, Bergerac, Triumph Roadster and Morse, MK II Jaguar. 

There’s also Vera in her Land Rover Defender

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RANGERS said:

There’s also Vera in her Land Rover Defender

I can't remember the name of the series now but there were two lady detectives* who also went around in an old Land Rover. *IIRC they were actually gardeners who solved murders in their spare time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I can't remember the name of the series now but there were two lady detectives* who also went around in an old Land Rover. *IIRC they were actually gardeners who solved murders in their spare time.

"Rosemary and Thyme"; it was about as bad as the contrived title suggests.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2022 at 10:15, 30368 said:

Has anyone tries to drive a Ferrari 308/328? I tried one out a few years back with a view to buy however I could only operate the clutch pedal with the outside edge of my left shoe due to wheel arch intrusion. It took a few minutes to recover, I bought a new Maserati Coupe CC instead.

I can't comment on the scary shorts....

Kind regrads,

Richard B

It must have been a left-hooker if your left shoe was involved?

My first experience of a LHD vehicle was a Ferrari F355 at Thruxton. While I now drive LHD daily, that, the fierce clutch and the right hand gear-change were a bit of a challenge. Fortunately, the instructor recommended we stick to 3rd and 4th gears, which helped! 

ISTR the Ford GT40, despite being RHD in most cases, had a gear shift on the right. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Steed in his iconic Bentley, though six different vintage Bentleys were used by Steed throughout the various series of the Avengers.

228854-BEN_BE.jpg

• Like 9

On 26/07/2022 at 20:49, RANGERS said:

Jack Regan travelled the mean streets of London in a very tasty classic, OK so nobody knew it at the time, and he didn’t actually drive it, but a mere minor detail I’d say 😉

He drove a dark blue Mk1 Granada Consul in the pilot film 'Regan', filmed in the Spring of 1974, he even wore a cravat...!

1396051873_Regan20(21).jpg.b3aba248cb93c518f57eb59d3e76c50a.jpg

1894450439_Regan20(23).jpg.bb1be95585aaeb9b592b537811eecea7.jpg

1408487701_Regan20(28).jpg.795b125ce24d6d661168ddd878d300d5.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Saw one of those on the road last year, for the first time in lord knows how long.

I thought they'd all been written off filming the Sweeney!😃

Funny how what we used to call "Big Fords" don't seem at all big any more.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3