The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Think some of these systems work by comparing the resistance through the circuits. And 2 different makes of bulb can have enough difference in resistance to confuse things (does make me wonder whether the bulb warning system would ignore both bulbs being out!).

All the best

Katy

That was indeed my theory, the guy in the car parts shop reckoned I was bonkers as I wouldn't buy a couple of  brake light bulbs from his big box of random bulbs.

Reminds me, #1 son's 2013 Fiesta currently (bit of a pun there) has a little feature where his tail lights work fine, as do his brake lights, but if he brakes with the tail lights on the nearside brake and tail lights go out. Saw another Fiesta with exactly the same problem yesterday. Looks like a high resistance earth joint to me, but where that joint is on a modern car where the lights aren't grounded locally remains to be seen.

Either that or some expensive piece of electronics controlling the lights has malfunctioned... please no...

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I mentioned earlier the MAN bulb-out system?

It seemed to me, the system actually had to 'learn' what ought to be there?

For example, when attaching, or detaching, a trailer [ a common military practice..the waggins were never big enough]...the automatic lights check had to be initiated so the system could be told ''Oi, we've now got a trailer on the back'...or, ''Oi, we've taken the trailer off now''..

Otherwise the system could throw a hissy fit.

The bulb=absence scenario could, & did, happen frequently because, even though the waggins had a mix of LED and old fashioned bulbs in its light circuits, frequent driving over off-road environments [including deep water wading, etc]...could encourage bulbs to vibrate out of their sockets....never to be mentioned again... Most of my usage of these vehicles involved off road driving...[most upsetting for random dog walkers, who didn't realise we did the same thing, at night...but without any sort of lights at all!  Not wise to ignore the MoD signs and venturing onto out training areas...especially after dark. There could be 40 or 50 rather large heavy vehicles pottering around in the dark..There were several 'departments' doing different night time stuff]....our vehicles put more off-road driving into a month than most vehicles in units did, in several years....

Luckily for me, my back didn't suffer too much from all the off-road driver training.....it was much like riding a horse. I often commented to my [military] bosses how unreasonable it was to expect someone aged 65 or more, to see better in the dark [mark 1 eyeball stuff]] than a fit young 20-year old?

All good fun..I enjoyed it immensely..not often one got paid to play?  Especially as the after dark stuff was paid at Civil Service overtime rates!! [ Lt's see? An after-dark drive to a handy Mcdonalds, to park up, have a break [for the drivers], swap drivers, and drive back. [Maybe a different route, to keep the sweet young military things on their toes?], then a tour round the off road training area, to a route I'd planned out, for each driver..including a deep water wade, with a bend in the middle....Then, maybe, drop the trailer [without benefit of lights....], or not, depending...then it's 'back in'  to the training unit area [same establishment, its a big place].....park up, quick checks, paperwork and off home.

4 1/2 hours of overtime..sometimes more, depending on what course one was on?

Military shot the treasury in the foot with what we did...by pointing out  [who did that?} that all the driver training course criteria specified where, when, under what circumstances, etc...which included the words...''by day, & by night!''...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

And with carburettors.....

SU's only, none of that foreign carp !!!!!! (Stromberg - wasn't he an enemy of James Bond ?)   !!!!

Anyway,

A mechanic, an electrician and a software developer were in a car.

The engine stops running.
-It's the carburettor, says the mechanic. We just have to get to a garage and clean it.
-It's the ignition, says the electrician. We have to check the spark plugs and we'll make it work.
-Software developer chimes in "Guys, I propose getting out of the car and getting back in and maybe it will start working."

Brit15

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, alastairq said:

Not too long ago I had a 'repair' issue with my 14 year old Indesit washing machine.

It's control board needed some new capacitors....[supplied and soldered in for a mere 15 pension-quids by a local radio repair person.]

Discussion with said expert [ I presume, there?]...elicited the information that washing machine control panels were mostly manufactured by one factory in Italy. They supplied all the major brands.

The boards were all rather similar in design...obviously with features to suit the individual brand manufacturer....but the main difference between, say, a Miele or a Boshh, and  a Beko or a Zanussi [for example] was in the quality of the individual electronics components the board maker specified.

Which fact left me to wonder what the actual differences were between a vehicle ECU for a Peugeot [of today] and the same component in a new BMW, for example?

Is there a factory somewhere churning out ECUs for new vehicles for all sorts of vehicle brands?

If so, I wonder what the differences are in component specs between a board made for BMW ]for example] and a similar board made for , say, Peugeot?

I wonder if this is why there is a shortage of chips for new cars, they all use the same ones.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

SU's only, none of that foreign carp !!!!!! (Stromberg - wasn't he an enemy of James Bond ?)   !!!!

Anyway,

A mechanic, an electrician and a software developer were in a car.

The engine stops running.
-It's the carburettor, says the mechanic. We just have to get to a garage and clean it.
-It's the ignition, says the electrician. We have to check the spark plugs and we'll make it work.
-Software developer chimes in "Guys, I propose getting out of the car and getting back in and maybe it will start working."

Brit15

Most likely ran out of fuel.

DO NOT JOKE about the getting out and back in, it does work.

A car won't start so get out, lock door, unlock door, get in, starts OK, seen it happen with some immobilisers

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder if this is why there is a shortage of chips for new cars, they all use the same ones.

There is a general shortage of chips, Sony have taken one of their top cameras off the market for a bit because they have no chips, it’s not just cars.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

Most likely ran out of fuel.

DO NOT JOKE about the getting out and back in, it does work.

A car won't start so get out, lock door, unlock door, get in, starts OK, seen it happen with some immobilisers

There is also the one where the car will not move with the seat belt undone and the drivers door open, this catches out plenty of older/experienced drivers who are used to opening the door to lean out and view as they reverse (no, I’ve never needed to!)……it’s a safety protocol to prevent unintended runaways if the drivers steps out with the car in gear.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I went and did a little bit of shopping in the local supermarket and saw this gem.

20211130_152716.jpg.d4fa6cc01b7a3cb335906b9d4ef74087.jpg

The paint work looked like the original paint. I can remember a cold winters day when the family moved out of London and it snowed (If we can remember snow) I was in the same car but the heater had given up the ghost. It was very cold that day.  

Terry.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I went and did a little bit of shopping in the local supermarket and saw this gem.

The paint work looked like the original paint. I can remember a cold winters day when the family moved out of London and it snowed (If we can remember snow) I was in the same car but the heater had given up the ghost. It was very cold that day.  

Terry.

Sports model…..red grill :D

• Funny 6

25 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

Terry.

Reckon you could covert that to an EV, it would run on a couple of Duracell Ds

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

There is a general shortage of chips, Sony have taken one of their top cameras off the market for a bit because they have no chips, it’s not just cars.

I am waiting on good supplies of their latest console.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I hear that one of the new Honda's is keyless and you unlock / start it with your phone.

What happens if your phone is flat or as c2ap as mine?

Same with Teslas it seems, as they had an outage last week! What's wrong with keys anyway? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

15 hours ago, Nick C said:

Same with Teslas it seems, as they had an outage last week! What's wrong with keys anyway? 

Nothing. The phone thing is a convenience extra you still get keys. If you leave your keys at home and your phone breaks it's your own lookout.

So it's just another fad gadget / unnecessary complication?

I think that I will stick with one small key that: 

Won't lose its code.

Won't have a silly little battery inside.

Won't fall apart / snap off.

Won't wear a hole in the pocket of your trahziz / stab you in the ####s if you move suddenly.

Will only cost about £6 to replace if lost.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Spotted in a traffic jam en route to Brum this morning, a rather nice '64 TR4 in a non standard colour, makes a nice change....

IMG_1824.JPG.31d7725cff8b4fa8ca12b034a5519e01.JPG

Looks a bit like Vauxhall Goodwood green metallic. As used on '70s Magnums etc.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1