The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

22 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Some lovely machines there but I can’t help think there’s more than a touch of irony in the British Motor Museum hosting and Italian car day.

The museum hosts a number of different events, there is (or was) a big BMW owners club event every year.  

22 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

What next, a Japanese car day? Seriously though a lot of foreign cars have been produced in this country starting with Daimler in the late 19th century, followed by Ford (model T) in 1908. Both those and some other makes have gone on to become 'British' makes.

I believe that there has been a Japanese car day.  Quite often it's the clubs that organise these events.

Of course I must declare an interest, as I'm a volunteer at the museum.  Not that it gives me much insight into how the place works.  But it has been announced that the museum will host some of the cars from Vauxhall's heritage collection.  Given that one of the main criticisms I hear is, "not enough Vauxhall (or Ford, or Rootes)" this can only be a good thing.

Oh and I was volunteering yesterday so I'll try and add some of the photos I took of the Italian cars.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As promised.

y4mq3DeoLLTYrZaFn68NMHpXqZUkD7WaKOrbupKp

I only spotted a couple of classic Fiat 500s, this was one.

y4m2giF7EVLJAyZfV-2qS1Z5NoZy6Mp3luB0UDRl

A lovely, early Fiat X1/9

y4mEyLTPbICmlQbPkyyKmuRY4-cDDYJDk8nzJKv2

Apologies for the duplication, here's the 124 Spider again.

y4mleQQohkHxFl134h5q2K2luiQ3RUh9KWo8aE0p

So rare to see a Fiat Panda, even more so an early one with an asymmetrical grille.

y4mCNGhafsCnXVBaLCAHTqq7xvzaZWBaBcDWUkZe

This was the other classic 500, a Gianni.

• Like 9

A couple of shots from the classic car show at Tatton Park Cheshire today. Rain am but cleared up in the afternoon, everyone beavering away with the drying cloths !!

Hmmm, Allegro, in nice nick this one. Is that Jeremy Clarkson admiring his new motor ? (Nay - it's my mate !!!)

IMG_1789.JPG.a82fc8421fa48d39a48b14934748138e.JPG

Nicest car in show for me was this Bristol. I upset the lady to the right. A packet of period cigarettes and driving gloves were neatly placed on the passenger seat. That packet is unopened and has the original cigarettes in she proudly proclaimed - -I quipped " I bet they are worth more than the car" - Exit stage left !!!!

IMG_1812.JPG.484f8851f57ba3dcd185ed6d1e3cba34.JPG

This ford Zodiac brought back memories - Mates dad had one in the late 60's, one Sunday took us for a day out in Blackpool for Fish & Chips. He had a few pints while we searched for donkey poo, and the journey home was a bit fast & frightening - "I'm the finest drunken driver in the world" he sang at 90mph on the M6 !!!! - This taught me an early lesson NEVER to drink & drive !!!

All together now ---

If you want to buy a wreck buy a Ford

It's got four wheels and a board

It's a biscuit tin with an engine in

If you want to buy a wreck buy a Ford

IMG_1813.JPG.fd6cd402046655d47b832a54d868e3b2.JPG

First car I bought was a 1.8 HL Marina, Mallard green, back in 1974, a bit like this - nice car, terrible road holding though. We live and learn.

IMG_1801.JPG.8cedc3e411e98919e316941a6e0aa530.JPG

Had one of these also. This is an MG, mine was a 1986 bog standard 1.6HL, again a boring car but never let me down, or broke down, in fact for the 3 years I owned it a spanner never touched the thing other than servicing. Traded in for an Audi 90 which was a ***** awful car expense & repair wise.

IMG_1804.JPG.196260981598f7abe630b7924e81b0d1.JPG

Lots of other rare & interesting cars, my first event since late 2019 !!!!

Brit15

• Like 10

Blimey, two blasts from my past in one photo there.   We had a green 1.8HL Marina, HHN960K, in the mid 1970s.  First time I recall doing 100 mph, when my parents took me to London for a weekend.  It then sat outside their house for about 18 months after my mother acquired another car, flat tyres and quietly rusting, until eventually someone turned up and took it off our hands.  Started and tyres blown up he jumped straight in and drove it away - this was still the 70s, no tax or insurance - and we heard that the following week he was touring the Continent in it.

In the background the car which replaced it, a Damask Red Triumph.   AHN288M, 2.5 PI saloon.  My dad liked his cars quick.   Lovely motor, comfy, handled the caravan as though it wasn't there and even in its last days could work up a fair speed.   My dad was by then commuting to Carnforth at weekend to work on the overhaul of 4498.  The throttle stuck on the M6 (frayed cable) and he reached 118 before he had to turn it off and coast onto the hard shoulder. 

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

While sloshing around the Googlesphere looking for something else, I happened upon this.

Apparently a prototype Herald Hatchback, and a one-off.

More practical and better looking than the saloon I reckon, so a missed opportunity?

John

HHb.jpg

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

While sloshing around the Googlesphere looking for something else, I happened upon this.

More practical and better looking than the saloon I reckon, so a missed opportunity?

John

HHb.jpg

Pretty sure that belongs to an old mate of mine called Steve Boitoult. It's certainly shown on his Faceache page. He was, probably still is, big on Triumphs and sold me my Vittesse Mk II saloon.

steve

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

HHb.jpg

A Bond Equipe might do just as well? Less tin to rot too.

[Although getting the body orff the chassis to mend the chassis might be an issue?]

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Steam Land Rover.

Saw it being towed into a local yard a few weeks ago the building is used for storing all sorts of old and classic vehicles various lotus MG alfa and alsorts of other exotica plus some tractors and bits of engineering .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, steve1 said:

Not sure if it’s patina or just neglect.

steve

9249A1B8-4825-4211-8D3F-5ECAF62CCCE1.jpeg

Is it real rust? There's a Mustang or Camaro, I forget which, around Great Yarmouth done up like a mad Max car. That has painted/sprayed on rust in the same way we weather wagons and such.

Also a truck comes to meets in Nottingham, old Chevy or Ford pickup, with rust patches but the whole vehicle is clear laquered so obviously being preserved and looked after.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 27/08/2021 at 20:41, Rugd1022 said:

A touch of class before bed time.... ;)

Class in abundance.

JY_1.png

Edited by rocor
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Going back to my late teacher's Rover collection, here's the sad end of my boyhood favourite:

Surprised that the engine is still in it, those V8's are still prized by hot rodders and the like.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Surprised that the engine is still in it, those V8's are still prized by hot rodders and the like.

Yes, I was quite surprised - not only the engine, but also the suspension, could have yielded some useful spares.

• Agree 2