The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

36 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Lectronic missus substitute...

Apparently, it's an in car navigation device that is powered from the cigarette lighter.

This is something of a stumbling block in your average Triumph Herald 1200.

Ever tried plugging a satnav into a Zippo?

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Apparently, it's an in car navigation device that is powered from the cigarette lighter.

I have heard....the trick is, to lick one's wife's finger, then jam it into the cigarette lighter socket.

''NOw dear, where was it we were going??''

You can tell I'm divorced, can't you?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Yet another new classic car mag. Is the market really that big? From a quick spin through it does seem to focus on owning and using classics, and at £3.80 is reasonably priced. Wonder if it will lay though?

steve

IMG_2034.JPG

Sorry, I meant to mention the new magazine I ordered that was shown here a few pages back “Classic, Retro, Modern” it’s nicely produced on quality paper and feels good, the articles are more interesting/historical than technical (which is a shame for me) but not a magazine I’ll be ordering again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

We used to have 'Mum-Nav'

'I don't recognise this..

I don't recognise this..

Slow down; you've just passed it...'

Directions from a former girlfriend consisted of "That way" and "You should have gone up there" 

This is how I found out that a Hillman Husky can be chucked about and handbrake turned just as well as an original Mini.

• Funny 4

40 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Blimey!  You really are in the dark ages……:D

This is the old cars thread after all.

I remember during the Y2K  panic, someone pointed out that if the world ended, I would survive, business as usual and probably become leader of the survivors.

Which certainly had its appeal... :D

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, steve1 said:

Yet another new classic car mag. Is the market really that big? From a quick spin through it does seem to focus on owning and using classics, and at £3.80 is reasonably priced. Wonder if it will lay though?

steve

IMG_2034.JPG

Oh look, it's got articles on the E-type and MGB. 

<YAWN>.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, alastairq said:

Looks like a porch?

{B&Q?}

Early Boxster I think*. Must almost qualify for this thread....

John

* Apparently not, as pointed out by BoxBrownie a couple posts down, it's a Toyota MR2, but not a version that I remember....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

It's surprising how few of those cars are more than 10 years old. Just a handful that are identifiable.

In 1966, the vast majority of 10-year-old cars, the quality brands aside, had rotted beyond passing MoTs. 

In any event, there wouldn't have been many sub-1.5 litre mid-fifties cars that I'd have trusted not to break down when exposed to motorway conditions.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

We used to have 'Mum-Nav'

'I don't recognise this..

I don't recognise this..

Slow down; you've just passed it...'

My other half usually starts with "hold on a minute i have to find my glasses" by which time we are well past it!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

It's surprising how few of those cars are more than 10 years old. Just a handful that are identifiable.

I can identify most of them and I have owned/driven quite a few of them. The latest registration I can see is C registration which will date it as c. 1964.

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I can identify most of them and I have owned/driven quite a few of them. The latest registration I can see is C registration which will date it as c. 1964.

C registrations were issued throughout 1965, the move away from the January change didn't come until 1967.

The D reg on the BMC 1100/1300 in the foreground places it in 1966 at the earliest.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1