The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Thanks for posting those - the beast of Turin looks almost cartoon like, I'd love to see 9and hear) it in the flesh one day.

Bit more progress on the boxey '90s Maser - I've cleaned up the spare boot lid and removed the glassfibre spoiler which has a large chunk missing at one end, the boot lid is in pretty good nick so I plan to get it repainted and swap it over with the one that's on the car. This might take a while to get sorted though so in the meantime I've fitted the new badges which I bought from Eurospares last week, I want it to look half decent when I take it to the Italian Car Day at Gaydon next month....

IMG_0553.JPG.8e78a6bd977f8ecc007fe0c02db95361.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG.321474f6350ccfa2c41206e24a485b17.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG.28c66f39c9c65f80e37e65921314a125.JPG

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Nice. Can't beat a garage covered in signs and rusty trophies. Do you know what the old number plates are off? 

I could be wrong, because I haven't googled it, but I think that the black plate is a Warwickshire number.

No doubt someone will tell us one way or another. :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Nice. Can't beat a garage covered in signs and rusty trophies. Do you know what the old number plates are off? 

I could be wrong, because I haven't googled it, but I think that the black plate is a Warwickshire number.

*WD was Warwickshire, *LC was London.

At least according to this: https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/wd.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Yes both of those plates are from cars I've owned, UWD was my 1969 Mk2 Mini Cooper and ELC was my 1970 Rover P5B Coupe ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

That's another bit of flotsam nailed to the wall in order to free up space on the floor....!

IMG_0583a.jpg.66e714d149634c25463bd8822e564254.jpg

Didn’t realise you were such a Beatles fan, I guess all the knowledge about their old cars should have given it away. :music:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Not sure what it is. French? Seen in York just now. 

steve

367FF2D4-71B9-436A-A198-F72622F54A4A.jpeg

Looks nice. But it's almost certainly a fake.

All convertible traction avants were pre-WW2 and I am not aware of any that were rhd. If it is genuine, it is seriously rare and worth over £100k.

Plenty of features that are "correct" but then parts are readily available.

Edit: Just checked, and the Slough factory opened in 1926. So this could be genuine but, in a way, English rather than French. Not many convertibles were ever built and those that were mostly disappeared in WW2, some in action and others that were hidden from the Germans but then forgotten about.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

All convertible traction avants were pre-WW2 and I am not aware of any that were rhd. If it is genuine, it is seriously rare and worth over £100k.

There are photos of others like it on Citroenet website described as "1939 Slough-built RHD Light 15 roadster", so it would appear they were "official" and that not all Citroens were assembled in France.

What a gorgeous little car, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

There are photos of others like it on Citroenet website described as "1939 Slough-built RHD Light 15 roadster", so it would appear they were "official" and that not all Citroens were assembled in France.

What a gorgeous little car, though.

John

Citroen factories in several countries. My father owned a Belgian 2CV at one time. Several detail differences from the French-built versions.

For about the last 10 years of production, all 2CVs were built in Portugal.

We have this strange thing in the UK of referring to an 11CV traction as a "Light 15". I don't know where that came from. Slough, perhaps.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

We have this strange thing in the UK of referring to an 11CV traction as a "Light 15". I don't know where that came from. Slough, perhaps.

Maigret would have known. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, steve1 said:

Not sure what it is. French? Seen in York just now. 

steve

367FF2D4-71B9-436A-A198-F72622F54A4A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Edit: Just checked, and the Slough factory opened in 1926. So this could be genuine but, in a way, English rather than French. Not many convertibles were ever built and those that were mostly disappeared in WW2, some in action and others that were hidden from the Germans but then forgotten about.

Indeed they were. Matchbox followed Airfix and produced plastic kits of vintage cars and the Citroen roadster was one that they made a kit of.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Maigret would have known. 

Britain and France had a similar system of taxing cars on their horsepower rating. In both instances it was calculated on piston area but a slightly different measurement was used. Under the British system the traction avante was rated at 15 horsepower. Under the French system it was 11 chevaux (horsepower).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Britain and France had a similar system of taxing cars on their horsepower rating. In both instances it was calculated on piston area but a slightly different measurement was used. Under the British system the traction avante was rated at 15 horsepower. Under the French system it was 11 chevaux (horsepower).

Maybe they had bigger horses?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Indeed they were. Matchbox followed Airfix and produced plastic kits of vintage cars and the Citroen roadster was one that they made a kit of.

And I am sure I still have one, if I remember correctly it was about 7mm scale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Matchbox did a 1:32 scale kit for the similar fixed-head coupe. There's one on eBay, and the box illustration shows the convertible as well, suggesting the kit may include  sufficient parts to do either.

John

• Like 1

This one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265228267386?epid=1005696206&hash=item3dc0d62f7a:g:eloAAOSwo6xg7IaV

Looks like it can do either, though the front picture is the fixed head. 1:32 scale. It's on that link I put up but I didn't go onto it, had i done so I'd have seen the alternative parts... Click on the link and then the photo...

http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?cPath=86&products_id=403

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

And I am sure I still have one, if I remember correctly it was about 7mm scale.

13 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

If 1:43 scale that may have been a Heller kit. Heller and Airfix were part fot he same group at one time.

Heller produced a kit of the saloon in 1/43 scale.

9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Matchbox did a 1:32 scale kit for the similar fixed-head coupe. There's one on eBay, and the box illustration shows the convertible as well, suggesting the kit may include  sufficient parts to do either.

John

Indeed it does, I have one of the kits and it can be built as either.

• Like 1

When I was about 17 (thirty years ago now! :() I helped a neighbour collect an Austin Heavy 12/4 project from a car restorer near Zouch on the Notts / Leics border. His speciality was the Citroen Light 15 and the Big 6 built in Slough. His next project in line was a convertible coupe that was RHD. It had been rescued from a scrapyard and basically consisted of the front and rear halves, the floor and sills had completely rusted away. He built a jig that allowed him to line everything up around a replacement pair of doors before fitting a new floor and sills.

He said that the only reason that he was rebuilding something so rough was because it was a UK market model. 

Seeing that being done was probably the slippery slope into restoring cars myself. :scratchhead:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1