The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

There's also one floating around on YouTube where one of them pushes his scooter out into the road, then drops it and throws himself across the car bonnet, while his mate appears from the pavement to be the 'witness' - then you hear the driver wind down their window and say "err, I've got a dashcam..." or similar, at which point they hurredly pick up the scooter again and run off...

It is difficult to understand how anyone would be stupid enough to do that, but there is a saying that no-one lost money underestimating the stupidity of the general public.

Imagine you jump onto the bonnet of the oncoming car, not realising it's actually going slightly faster than you think, so you break your legs and fall awkwardly off the car onto your head, smashing your skull.  I'm sure the money is enough compensation for watching your mates go off to live normal lives while you're being spoon-fed your meals for the rest of your life.  Except you didn't get the compensation money, because the driver filmed you throwing yourself onto his bonnet and the police concluded you were actually attempting to commit suicide.......

• Like 1

Some forlorn looking oldies, sent to me by a mate on various facebook groups, no idea on the locations or time span but there's a definite faded romance about them....

1573911340_PH8ee90f.jpg.9319d6fb1423b888704008e4d13bf7b1.jpg

1458696975_PHMASER86db91.jpg.af99938163b03b9f7437b33d9f052636.jpg

2008683786_PHMASERQP17f13c9.jpg.1992df11335892dcc64c4f496e0555de.jpg

1467914292_PH01a252.jpg.c6bbb23b6c6067742e6c4ed21b9f1354.jpg

1906360383_PHJI85bcb9.jpg.3f23991499cbb4a75000847c78785917.jpg

1275996878_PHf1bba.jpg.bfb116f4a7e4140b57429bb1e459dcbb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nick C said:

There's also one floating around on YouTube where one of them pushes his scooter out into the road, then drops it and throws himself across the car bonnet, while his mate appears from the pavement to be the 'witness' - then you hear the driver wind down their window and say "err, I've got a dashcam..." or similar, at which point they hurredly pick up the scooter again and run off...

Here you go . 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nick C said:

This one .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Funny 3

On 01/07/2021 at 19:12, Rugd1022 said:

Some forlorn looking oldies, sent to me by a mate on various facebook groups, no idea on the locations or time span but there's a definite faded romance about them....

1573911340_PH8ee90f.jpg.9319d6fb1423b888704008e4d13bf7b1.jpg

1458696975_PHMASER86db91.jpg.af99938163b03b9f7437b33d9f052636.jpg

2008683786_PHMASERQP17f13c9.jpg.1992df11335892dcc64c4f496e0555de.jpg

1467914292_PH01a252.jpg.c6bbb23b6c6067742e6c4ed21b9f1354.jpg

1906360383_PHJI85bcb9.jpg.3f23991499cbb4a75000847c78785917.jpg

1275996878_PHf1bba.jpg.bfb116f4a7e4140b57429bb1e459dcbb.jpg

Most aren't in the UK, otherwise they would look like the G registered Jensen in photo 5.

It looks like an Austin Eight to the left of it, I've often wondered what happened to the one that I owned when I was 16.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

This one .

Silly woman should have kept quiet about the cam until the police turned up ,let the scrotes tell their story then mention  the footage tho the police .

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Silly woman should have kept quiet about the cam until the police turned up ,let the scrotes tell their story then mention  the footage tho the police .

I think I would have carried on to crunch the stinkwheel. Then charged them for any damage.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Today we were following a V reg Mini pickup, it was so small compared to everything around it. We were in a Jazz and thats not very big but dwarfed the Mini.  We had several Minis including a Clubman estae which was a similar size but everything seems so much bigger now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

exactly what i did when someone pulled a crash for cash in front of my truck at jn 18 m60 and i had turned their A4 an A3 .waited untill traffic plod had arrived and mr Audi had been carted off in a neck brace to point to the cam at the back of my cab. fully vidicated me that he had pulled into my lane and slammed on no payout and prosecution for the Audi driver .

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 5

Good point @Captain Cuttle you only have to pull into a parking space in a council car park to realise how cars have piled on the width. You can open the doors properly in a 60s saloon. You're juggling not hitting the next car with the edge of the door and trying not to take your eye out with the top corner in a new car.

• Agree 2

I suppose that even when re-marking older car parks, or even building new ones, if those doing the job didn't abide by parking space parameters that are probably forty years out of date, they would lose quite a few spaces and a fair bit of revenue even in free car parks. If people can't park outside, they often won't shop.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

At my local Tess Coes the parking isn't helped by one parking space, usually in the centre of a row taken up with a trolley bay. A half width trolley bay at the end of the row would enable more room without losing any parking spaces. I read somewhere that a supermarket made all its parking bays like the disabled/mother and child bays with a marked out area separating them losing about 20% of the parking bays and that actually increased footfall in the store.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

At my local Tess Coes the parking isn't helped by one parking space, usually in the centre of a row taken up with a trolley bay. A half width trolley bay at the end of the row would enable more room without losing any parking spaces. I read somewhere that a supermarket made all its parking bays like the disabled/mother and child bays with a marked out area separating them losing about 20% of the parking bays and that actually increased footfall in the store.

Our local Sainsburys is like that, much more civilised.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I drive an 08 registered Hyundai i10, one of the smallest cars on the road. A few weeks ago I parked next to a 100E Prefect which was a lot smaller.

I'll wager there was more inside space in the Prefect!

8 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

everything seems so much bigger now.

Not everything!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'll wager there was more inside space in the Prefect!

Mike.

True, my first car was a 100E. The only drawback was accessibility to that space. Like many 1950's Ford designs there was the high boot sill.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I suppose that even when re-marking older car parks, or even building new ones, if those doing the job didn't abide by parking space parameters that are probably forty years out of date, they would lose quite a few spaces and a fair bit of revenue even in free car parks. If people can't park outside, they often won't shop.

I was musing the other day that there's probably money in designing a software application that maximises the number of parking spaces of a given size in a given area.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I was musing the other day that there's probably money in designing a software application that maximises the number of parking spaces of a given size in a given area.

Wasn't there a guy a few months back who managed to use every parking bay in his local supermarket. He even created a computer program to achieve this. The only question is why?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Wasn't there a guy a few months back who managed to use every parking bay in his local supermarket. He even created a computer program to achieve this. The only question is why?

Because it's the only way to make shopping interesting?

Mike.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Some councils are now insisting on 3m x 5m on new builds, actually I’ll have to ask my Son as his house is only two years old now, they could get the iPace in it to charge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Why not?

• Funny 1