The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

A few from.Nick Mason's open house today. The Ferrari 250 GTO is a lovely motor.

20210626_144108.jpg.673581b7bb3172e79da1a23efaca6a8f.jpg

The No 7 was Ronnie Peterson and Derek Bell, LM 1970. Out after four hours w no oil pressure. 

The 250 GTO I am sure was in Carrefour car park one race day about 15 years ago. Perfect shopping trolley! 

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The No 7 was Ronnie Peterson and Derek Bell, LM 1970. Out after four hours w no oil pressure. 

The 250 GTO I am sure was in Carrefour car park one race day about 15 years ago. Perfect shopping trolley! 

He also has a Ferrari Daytona which Derek Bell drove. I met Derek Bell at Goodwood a few years ago, really nice guy. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 37114 said:

He also has a Ferrari Daytona which Derek Bell drove. I met Derek Bell at Goodwood a few years ago, really nice guy. 

I met him at the Le Mans Classic in 2018. I was wearing a Porsche 917L tee-shirt, and he pointed it out to his companion saying that was the version he drove at LM 1971, sharing w Jo Siffert. In my experience, sportscar drivers are a lot less up themselves than F1 people. It is noticeable when someone reduces himself from F1 to sportscars, they tend to be much more aloof than their team-mates. Martin Brundle is an exception. Mark Webber is another. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The Pinto was ahead of its time in some ways, but it was the beginning of the end for the American car industry. As for the styling, I'm biased towards the days of Virgil Exner anyway!

5833885639_c0edbe8345_b.jpg.5f8461e5ae8a1e568fa24f6735964f16.jpg

A colour (or should it be color) referred to by our American cousins as p!ss yellow.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I met him at the Le Mans Classic in 2018. I was wearing a Porsche 917L tee-shirt, and he pointed it out to his companion saying that was the version he drove at LM 1971, sharing w Jo Siffert. In my experience, sportscar drivers are a lot less up themselves than F1 people. It is noticeable when someone reduces himself from F1 to sportscars, they tend to be much more aloof than their team-mates. Martin Brundle is an exception. Mark Webber is another. 

I have heard comments about Mark Webber like that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A colour (or should it be color) referred to by our American cousins as p!ss yellow.

Well the British cousins in the same company called it “Nappy Yellow”……a hated favourite when Cortina Mk3 came out…….most were sold as fleet batches.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite the dreadful weather last Sunday morning, this little beauty turned up at Eymoutiers in the visitors' car park for the vintage commercial rally.

The numberplate is very recent so presumably an import from the UK. Brits still moving here despite B*****.

IMG_20210620_114057.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Brits still moving here despite B*****.

That I can understand! Look to the future has always been my watchword.

When will England tire of wallowing in nostalgia for a past that did not excist!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Despite the dreadful weather last Sunday morning, this little beauty turned up at Eymoutiers in the visitors' car park for the vintage commercial rally.

The numberplate is very recent so presumably an import from the UK. Brits still moving here despite B*****.

IMG_20210620_114057.jpg

I also notice a BX estate in the background; excellent cars in their day, I can't remember the last time I saw one in the UK.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I also notice a BX estate in the background; excellent cars in their day, I can't remember the last time I saw one in the UK.

Still plenty on the roads here.

A girl friend had one, one of the last estates to be built by Heuliez (?) when the saloons production had ceased in favour of the Xantia. Pretty good car although it did let us down on the suspension front once.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

IMG_20210620_114057.jpg

TBH  I am more interested in the nice clean BX wagon over the back ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Still plenty on the roads here.

A girl friend had one, one of the last estates to be built by Heuliez (?) when the saloons production had ceased in favour of the Xantia. Pretty good car although it did let us down on the suspension front once.

We liked our BX’s more than the Xantia that replaced them, they changed the driving position to a weird sort of “Alfa Romeo” position….didn’t work at all, soon sold it and bought an XM

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

IMG_20210620_114057.jpg

...and its make is?????   Cannot clearly make out the radiator badge, but it doesn't look MG-ish..and may not even be British in origin?  

Also, whilst it may have been imported to France{?} it may have moved sometime ago, and been renovated?  Not necessarily by any  sort of UK ex-pat.

Is it a Wolseley? Perhaps a {fake??] Hornet?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, alastairq said:

...and its make is?????   Cannot clearly make out the radiator badge, but it doesn't look MG-ish..and may not even be British in origin?  

Also, whilst it may have been imported to France{?} it may have moved sometime ago, and been renovated?  Not necessarily by any  sort of UK ex-pat.

Is it a Wolseley? Perhaps a {fake??] Hornet?

I'm no expert. But it had a Wolseley badge.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The Wolseley Hornet was a Morris 8 Minor with two extra cylinders added on (SOHC engine) and with the corresponding longer wheelbase. Whereas the Minor was the basis of the MG Midget the Hornet was the basis of the MG Magnet. Up until the introduction of the Magnet Wolseley had sporting pretensions.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, alastairq said:

I've always believed that, if one doesn't like the smell of my cooking, get out of the kitchen!

I have no idea what you are talking about! Obsessed by Masterchef perhaps? Or perhaps you should get better ingredients?

Kind regards,

Richard B

There are quite a few 'Hornets' running around that started their lives as ordinary Wolseley saloons....

A habit of some European restorers & collectors, who purchased tatty saloons [from the UK[ and proceeded to junk the bodies to produce an apparently more 'valuable' Hornet.

The best 'Hornet' which wasn't, and didn't pretend to be, was/is in the hands of an ardent trials enthusiast & engineer.....He got hold of the remains of a Wolseley, stuck a couple of seats in it, and some vestiges of bodywork, to produce a very effective trials machine.  DArned good ground clearance, and some autojumble crossply tyres! [Can't even get anything like the tread pattern these days.]...Lovely sound, the 6 pot engine made, and he'd enlarged it out to 1500cc eventually!  [They came in 1100 and 1300 cc forms]..I believe it was blown, as well?  Probably a Merc blower? Weather protection? Erm....nope!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about! Obsessed by Masterchef perhaps? Or perhaps you should get better ingredients?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Nowt amiss with my ingredients. Not one jot!

But I was trying to be polite...something I'm not really bothered about achieving.....

• Funny 3

On 27/06/2021 at 14:06, alastairq said:

Nowt amiss with my ingredients. Not one jot!

But I was trying to be polite...something I'm not really bothered about achieving.....

I get told off for that all the time.

I also don't think that anyone was wallowing in a past that didn't ex(c)ist, rather vainly hoping for a better and autonomous future.

The slightly more cynical amongst us realised that whatever the outcome on the European Union, the ruling elite of either political persuasion would never let it happen.

A Citroen BX is a damn good car, not pretty but very practical, though I would argue that they are by their very nature, a modern classic.

Back to Wolseleys, when did you last see a 6/90 in the UK? 

• Like 1

Seriously though, I have only ever seen one 6/90, it was rotting away in a Leicestershire hedge along with an A40 Devon. Both cars were only really visible in winter even in the late 1970s. 

• Friendly/supportive 1