The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On 18/06/2021 at 10:42, boxbrownie said:

Yes the mechanical Ford set up was a bit basic and slow, but it worked but the teves and other electromechanical systems were light years ahead…..then again they cost a bomb at first compared with the Ford mech system, hence why it was on the low segment models.

edit : just reread what I typed, it was a Mk4 Cortina…..a 2.3……:blush:

The ATE system was used by a few people. Alfa used it on the 75 in the USA (they called it Milano there), and think Volvo used it. Unfortunately it can fail in such a way that you got one stop if you were lucky. Hence could be quite a problem.

On 23/06/2021 at 12:04, Rugd1022 said:

I'lI can't decide if I should paint the twin headlamp surrounds or leave them as they are in 'Swan White', apparently some white 430s left the factory with them painted in 'Anthracite' silvery grey, but I've also seen photos of a few with them painted black.

Our 222 has anthracite headlight surrounds.

All the best

Katy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 30368 said:

Thanks some really good images.

It seems odd that these really historical pictures are of my era! Good that I still feel about 28 or so and, fortunately, have not lost much of my 28 year old capabilities.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Are you aware of the goldmine of data that is this website? http://www.wsrp.cz. 'Our era' is covered by the World Sportscar Championship header in the list on the left. 

I fear the site-owner has at best lost interest, maybe more, as current races have not updated in several years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Kickstart said:

The ATE system was used by a few people. Alfa used it on the 75 in the USA (they called it Milano there), and think Volvo used it. Unfortunately it can fail in such a way that you got one stop if you were lucky. Hence could be quite a problem.

We were testing an early prototype version, worked well enough to spec the Scorpio with it as the first mass production car fitted with ABS……we never had any real issues in service though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Hobby said:

Was wondering about it being a Ledbury, though all the ones I've seen were red!

I'm not sure what range of colours they had but there was definitely more than red.

There used to be a 51 plate one round here in red.

Shame they didn't make plastic bumper ones as they would have made good doner shells for restoring more interesting models , front end is easy to sort but the rear is much more involved 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, russ p said:

A Ledbury maestro with a retro fitted plastic front bumper 

Never heard of these. Looked like a big standard Maestro to me.

Thanks for that.

steve

• Agree 4

27 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Never heard of these. Looked like a big standard Maestro to me.

Thanks for that.

steve

Likewise, I was thinking - wow a basic Maestro, I thought that the only ones that had been saved were the MG version.

I also remember that cars of that era were the reason why I decided that there was no point in wanting to be a car designer when I grew up. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2021 at 11:09, Oldddudders said:

1965. Toppetti and Grana, Chassis 5995. Crashed out after 4 laps (of 10)

250LM or was it a rather special 275LM Ian?

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 1

Spotted this afternoon parked outside the bodyshop that's just round the corner from our Booking On Point - a pair of red chrome bumper C3 Corvettes, one of which is a regular visitor (or possibly owned by one of the lads who works there), and glimpsed through the main door - a black Triumph Stag.

Some more oldies - 

Italian GP, Monza, 1938....

124001328_1938ItalianGPMonza.jpg.2ee4f00f0b81108d37bb9da626c3146f.jpg

British GP at Aintree, 1957 with Fangio and his Maserati 250F....

180913289_1957BritishGPAintreeFangioMaserati250F_LIEDIT.jpg.74cd72a89035193dff7ca8d3489b4182.jpg

Monaco GP, 1970 with Denny Hulme in his McClaren....

1315135725_1970MONACOGPDENNYHULMEMcLaren.jpg.4e0198d8c625a4e471419ff2a910bbff.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 30368 said:

250LM or was it a rather special 275LM Ian?

Kind regards,

Richard

I replied to this some hours ago but it seems to have been eaten!

I don't know everything about the Ferrari 250LM, but believe that only the prototype was actually a 250 - i.e. had a 3-litre V12. All the rest had a 3.3 litre version, so using the Ferrari logic of the time should indeed have been called 275LM. UK car magazines with a listing of currently available models and prices certainly listed them as 275LM. Not many mid-engined V12s were available for road use then! I suspect No 140 was a standard car suitably gussied up for Sicily. I am aware that David Piper did some mods to his car, extending the arches etc .

My late first wife Deb and I agreed that the 250LM was one of the most beautiful cars of all time. She can hardly have been 10 years old when she saw David Piper racing his green example at one of the Northern circuits - Croft, Rufforth and Oulton Park come to mind as places her father took her. At about the same time the family drove to Spain for a holiday - and father (Elliott) drove down the N158, which became the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans. Deb got in the front, while mum and sister Helen sat in the back, bemused. No chicanes then, of course, so the 105E Anglia had the throttle pedal hard down all the way to Mulsanne corner! Oh, and while they were in Spain they dined at the next table to Salvador Dali!

Something over 30 years later there was, in 1997, a Ferrari festival at Silverstone, and we arrived in our friend's Mondial. Inevitably David Piper was there, with several cars including a 330P2/3. He was resting his artificial leg - earned in the filming of the Steve McQueen film Le Mans, when he was driving a Porsche 917 which crashed and split in half, their favourite trick - but was charm itself when Deb spoke to him about her enjoyment in the '60s. This century we have seen David Piper win the Le Mans Legends race on 24 hrs race day, driving with suitable aplomb. Oh yes - he has a 917 too! The hair of the dog that bites you!

• Like 8

On 23/06/2021 at 11:21, PatB said:

Back in about 85 or 86 I watched a heavily laden, then 10ish year old Mini Clubman reverse vigorously out of a parking space and collide, equally vigorously, with a bollard. Once the driver had inspected the large, V-shaped indentation in the back of his car, and sworn a bit, he drove off, leaving a humorously Mini shaped deposit consisting of an astonishingly large quantity of filler and crumbly rust, which had been dislodged by the impact. Honestly, you could have filled a dustbin with it. I'm amazed there was any car left to hold the subframes together. 

Obviously not a Clubman estate as the fuel tank was just behind the rear valance, i know i had a less severe rear end collision and left a large puddle of petrol behind with the filler and rust.!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Obviously not a Clubman estate as the fuel tank was just behind the rear valance, i know i had a less severe rear end collision and left a large puddle of petrol behind with the filler and rust.!

Ditto, but not too much filler and rust because it was quite new. Stupid place to put a fuel tank! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Ditto, but not too much filler and rust because it was quite new. Stupid place to put a fuel tank! 

Considering how dangerous petrol can be some manufacturers put the fuel tank in some very dodgy places.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ford and the Pinto?

They would have go away with it if someone hadn't leaked to the 'courts' a memo [pre-email]...from Ford executives mentioning that the costs of compensation paid out in the event of a crash n burn case, would be a lot less than the costs of redesigning the type and position of the fuel tank?

The Courts weren't best pleased, so imposed crippling compensation costs..... [CAlifornia, 1960's or 70's??]

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Ford and the Pinto?

They would have go away with it if someone hadn't leaked to the 'courts' a memo [pre-email]...from Ford executives mentioning that the costs of compensation paid out in the event of a crash n burn case, would be a lot less than the costs of redesigning the type and position of the fuel tank?

The Courts weren't best pleased, so imposed crippling compensation costs..... [CAlifornia, 1960's or 70's??]

And in the end it cost them a lot more.

• Agree 3

The Pinto was ahead of its time in some ways, but it was the beginning of the end for the American car industry. As for the styling, I'm biased towards the days of Virgil Exner anyway!

5833885639_c0edbe8345_b.jpg.5f8461e5ae8a1e568fa24f6735964f16.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4