The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

It's amazing what an overnight soak in 'Mr.Muscle' cleaner can do for dirty old chrome badges....

IMG_0366.JPG.95e26b48a441fa5e67ae8e39174428a7.JPG

You’ll need a bigger jam jar for the rest of the car…..

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Back in about 85 or 86 I watched a heavily laden, then 10ish year old Mini Clubman reverse vigorously out of a parking space and collide, equally vigorously, with a bollard. Once the driver had inspected the large, V-shaped indentation in the back of his car, and sworn a bit, he drove off, leaving a humorously Mini shaped deposit consisting of an astonishingly large quantity of filler and crumbly rust, which had been dislodged by the impact. Honestly, you could have filled a dustbin with it. I'm amazed there was any car left to hold the subframes together. 

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, PatB said:

Back in about 85 or 86 I watched a heavily laden, then 10ish year old Mini Clubman reverse vigorously out of a parking space and collide, equally vigorously, with a bollard. Once the driver had inspected the large, V-shaped indentation in the back of his car, and sworn a bit, he drove off, leaving a humorously Mini shaped deposit consisting of an astonishingly large quantity of filler and crumbly rust, which had been dislodged by the impact. Honestly, you could have filled a dustbin with it. I'm amazed there was any car left to hold the subframes together. 

Seeing as it was a Mini that probably was the subframe.

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

You’ll need a bigger jam jar for the rest of the car…..

I'll say! I was in the garage fettling it some more earlier and casually asked her indoors ''do you think they do Mr.Muscle in handy ten gallon drums...?''.

I've started removing the light lenses and the front air dam grilles to give them a clean up, the grille parts will get  a coat of satin black paint before going back on. I can't decide if I should paint the twin headlamp surrounds or leave them as they are in 'Swan White', apparently some white 430s left the factory with them painted in 'Anthracite' silvery grey, but I've also seen photos of a few with them painted black.

Oh, and I've reset the clock in the dash, it now tells Greenwhich Mean Time, not Modena time!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

A gratuitous bit of nostalgia before I nip off to work....

Remember the ford picture well. But the really special picture is number 224. Nino Vacarella, the Sicilian schoolteacher, who was also rather good in a Ferrari Sports Prototype nraced 330 P4 number 224, the sole Ferrari works entry to the 1967 Targa Floria. He was over a minute ahead when he sadly crashed. What a car and what a race! Nino is thankfully still with us.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In the first copy of Motor Sport I bought, September 1965, there was a pic in Collesano of the 1965 Targa Florio, with Nino in a 275P2. On the road someone had painted 'Forza Nino'. Nino's profession was as you say, a schoolmaster - but he was represented in other media as being all sorts of other things, including Professor of Law at Palermo Uni!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, 30368 said:

Remember the ford picture well. But the really special picture is number 224. Nino Vacarella, the Sicilian schoolteacher, who was also rather good in a Ferrari Sports Prototype nraced 330 P4 number 224, the sole Ferrari works entry to the 1967 Targa Floria. He was over a minute ahead when he sadly crashed. What a car and what a race! Nino is thankfully still with us.

Kind regards,

Richard B

In itself something of an achievement for a racing driver of the era. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, alastairq said:

At least he won't have to sweep up after it, every time he parks?

[Unlike my 4Trak!!]

20 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

You need a chassis net….like a hair net only underbeneath :D

I thought that was why older Italian cars are called collectors cars, you have to go back and collect the bits that disintegrate and fall off in a carrier bag or two?

Mike.

• Funny 5

Some times there are deliveys I enjoy and this was one of them dropping of a service kit for thus a caterham 1700 super sport .sounded glorious morning break well spent 

20210624_105539.jpg

Edited by peanuts
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Some more Targa Florio oldies....

Thanks some really good images.

It seems odd that these really historical pictures are of my era! Good that I still feel about 28 or so and, fortunately, have not lost much of my 28 year old capabilities.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4
  • Agree 1