The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

15 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I must watch that, I had the job of photographing one for the local rag when it visited Brentwood in the early 70’s, it was a strange feeling being driven around in an Orange with very heavily orange tinted windscreen as I recall, not sure that would be entirely legal nowadays :D

Not sure it was entirely legal then, either, but, looking at old photos, and comparing with contemporary C&U regs, it seems to have been common for the authorities to turn a blind eye to minor infringements. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I was actually refused at KFC.

Whilst I'm not a fan of their baked beans, the boneless banquets are quite good value.

Their coffee is nowhere near as good [or as cheap] as McDonalds, though.

I have a local KFC [15 miles away is 'local' where I live]....which isn't surrounded by concrete and endless and endless and endless housing estates [how can people live in these things???], and where a mere 10 minute drive [if I'm driving?} can have one sat in splendid rural isolation, to eat.  The food is at least freshly cooked, hot, and consistent in quality.  My local KFC is sat right next to a starbux drive-thru, but I really resent paying nearly three quid for a coffee!!  Especially when they have no idea  what a 'white coffee' really is?  { I have to ask for something called an americano, with  dash of fresh milk..what TF is that cwapp all about?]

My local Maccydees drive thru is a mere 9 or 10 miles away [ three villages over, to be precise], and is almost completely in the countryside, by a main road.

So it has always been in my sights for a coffee [& snack] right throughout the covid-thing.   [Plus, we have as a family always tested negative!!]

Always with my Son-&-heir, and we eat in the quiet pleasant surroundings of the Wolds, far away from any signs of humanity. {Sometimes, if one listens carefully, one can hear the subdued swish of the nose-to-tail traffic on the main road [recently, that is], but all my driving almost completely avoids any sort of road with an A in it...and a lot of roads with a B in them too.

Last Saturday, my son texted asking for a hot choccy at maccydees [his favorite chill out trip, and gets to see his Dad]....

We passed 2 cars and a cyclist on the way there, [main roads were rammed, as expected...the rest of yorkshire had been let loose...either that, or someone left the front door open?}.......the drive thru was packed, but we managed to proff an iced caramel coffee!!  Since Maccydees have strict covid rules, the lass at the window couldn't take it back,  we hadn't ordered it]... and gave us an additional ice cream , which we hadn't ordered or paid for either...So we sat in our favorite quiet rural location and enjoyed a surfeit of ice cream, and what turned out to be a rather nice iced coffee, with squirty cream & caramel,  plus one of the expensive ice creams........all for the price of two ice creams and a couple of coffees....We ran out of places to put them all. The car only has 4 cup holders!

Oh well....no doubt there will be someone from Doncaster way wondering what an iced coffee looks like?  :)

Also got a quid off the price for using the card with 6 stickers on...

So I don't knock Mcdonalds drive thru....especially when none of the other gucci chains have thus far met my approval for taste or value for money??

Costa? Starbucks? Nandos? Pret a mangy [WTF?} ?  etc?

All over priced and pretentious.

Burger King [rubbish]!

As for the twee and gucci little 'coffee shop' establishments, with their skinny waiters with little pig tails?  Total hogwash, as far as I'm concerned!

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Standard clothing and appearance back in the day...no flashy multicolored lycra to pollute the visual environment back then,....

And besides the under nose accoutrements are slightly more dense than dear old Terry’s.......bless him. :D

I absolutely loved any film he was in.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

11 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Is that Terry-Thomas, or his doppelganger?

I suspect that may be John Bolster himself. The 'tash and the age would be about right. I wasn't aware of his participation in trials, but he was always hugely enthusiastic about anything with an engine in it*, so it's not impossible.

*Apart from Lotus Europas, apparently.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PatB said:

I suspect that may be John Bolster himself. The 'tash and the age would be about right. I wasn't aware of his participation in trials, but he was always hugely enthusiastic about anything with an engine in it*, so it's not impossible.

*Apart from Lotus Europas, apparently.

I still have his book on the Lotus cars...well Europa and Elans......it’s his writing that lead me to buy an Elan and rebuild it from the ground up, well it was only about five or six years old when I bought it as a “just about” runner from Bell & Colvill......they’d never be able,to get away with it today :D

A7D4B020-ECCB-4884-9FC3-33ED78DD1EC4.jpeg.44e3bb21c0f503eddb78a108e9ebcb8f.jpeg

He was a brilliant writer, alas not many like him any more just as none like LJK......their writing was my bread and butter back then.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, steve1 said:

@boxbrownie I see it's still taxed and presumably roadworthy. Do you still have it?

steve

No, I sold it not long after I restored it, probably ran it for about six months then wanted something else.....I wish I did still have it, would be worth a darn sight more than I sold it for back then :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Another Birmingham area registration, had a BSA A10 registered LOK.

No idea how that worked then as it was sold brand new by Bell & Colvill in Surrey, that’s the reason they had it in stock as a “needing repair” one owner, it had been badly neglected and apart from that the front chassis turrets were so riddled with rust when you pressed down on the wings you could see the top mounts moving inboard!

Thankfully they don’t make’em like that anymore......a little bit too much of Chapman’s less is more philosophy. :o

• Like 4

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I still have his book on the Lotus cars...well Europa and Elans......it’s his writing that lead me to buy an Elan and rebuild it from the ground up, well it was only about five or six years old when I bought it as a “just about” runner from Bell & Colvill......they’d never be able,to get away with it today :D

A7D4B020-ECCB-4884-9FC3-33ED78DD1EC4.jpeg.44e3bb21c0f503eddb78a108e9ebcb8f.jpeg

He was a brilliant writer, alas not many like him any more just as none like LJK......their writing was my bread and butter back then.

Nice. 

My slightly tongue in cheek Europa comment was based on a distant memory of a JB article on said Lotus in Old Motor (so no later than early '82, when Old Motor morphed into Classic & Sports Car), in whose introduction he quite candidly admitted to favouring the Elan, and not having any great liking for the Europa. In typical JB fashion, though, having declared his partisanship, the article was, as far as I could then tell, and now recall, a very fair summation of the car. Certainly more useful than the sort of puff piece an unabashed fan may have written. 

• Like 3

It would still fit in the other thread, when I set it up I suggested that we used the "Modern Classics" magazine definition which was 1980s onwards. So as KITT is based on a 1982 car it would fit in the modern classics thread, remember that it shares it's age with a Maestro which I doubt anyone would put in this thread!! ;)

• Like 1

Coming home from Wembley this afternoon I spotted a couple of '90s classics which both stood out from the modern herd - a Honda Coupe heading north on the M1, very similar to this style....

1927910472_10100unnamed(16).jpg.2c95ab43eb2f174179c3546818f17c41.jpg

And a mid '90s Maserati Ghibli II in silver just like this one, spotted a few cars in front of me on the North Circular....

664441105_BITURBOGH480_o.jpg.58b9f37e415daf4e6f12804de6b663cf.jpg

They were both dwarfed by the average sized modern hatchbacks surrounding them, it was quite bizarre in a way.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Coming home from Wembley this afternoon I spotted a couple of '90s classics which both stood out from the modern herd - a Honda Coupe heading north on the M1, very similar to this style....

1927910472_10100unnamed(16).jpg.2c95ab43eb2f174179c3546818f17c41.jpg

And a mid '90s Maserati Ghibli II in silver just like this one, spotted a few cars in front of me on the North Circular....

664441105_BITURBOGH480_o.jpg.58b9f37e415daf4e6f12804de6b663cf.jpg

They were both dwarfed by the average sized modern hatchbacks surrounding them, it was quite bizarre in a way.

Well spotted, most of those Honda's seem to have breathed their last painted matt black with an IKEA shelf nailed to the boot lid. I've never seen a Maserati Ghibli II before.

As usual, if there's an older version of a car, I tend to prefer it. In the case of the Maserati Ghibli, I don't need to justify it. This is the 1967 model.

1200px-1967_Maserati_Ghibli_ORC3.jpg.58e9cfc85d5a386295b09dd3db16ef00.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 9