The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

17 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Obviously didn't see it OR hear it . Dam thing made enough noise .

I've got to say it......

With the emphasis, with new cars, on 'connectivity...ie, a smart phone with wheels, I suspect we will see more & more of this kind of thing?

The transportation from A to B will be seen as someone else's problem?

After all, just observe how 'aware' folk are when tottering down the street with ears and eyes  [therefore, head and mind?] glued to their phones, rather than their environment?

Still, doesn't bother me at all...I cannot even text without having to sit down and stop everything else first.

I'll just let the brave new world get on with it....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Obviously did'nt see it OR hear it . Dam thing made enough noise .

Well it wasn’t as if it was 80 tons, noisy and belching smoke was it?

It really makes you wonder sometimes, the human brain......how do some people just manage to turn it off completely and still stay alive?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

On 28/04/2021 at 09:43, MrWolf said:

Do you mean ash framing or the good old Dy-Noc applique wood? Still peeved at missing out on one of these in a council lockup when I was about nineteen. 

The seller changed his mind because the infamous "somebody" had told him that the number plate was "worth at least a couple of grand"....

10110722.jpg.6ccabf268d5171134b9d65e563af4f45.jpg

I give you the Ford Consul Cortina Super Estate to give it it's full title.

Looks quite chic on there, not so good on a Morris Mini Countryman though!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

I've got to say it......

With the emphasis, with new cars, on 'connectivity...ie, a smart phone with wheels, I suspect we will see more & more of this kind of thing?

The transportation from A to B will be seen as someone else's problem?

After all, just observe how 'aware' folk are when tottering down the street with ears and eyes  [therefore, head and mind?] glued to their phones, rather than their environment?

Still, doesn't bother me at all...I cannot even text without having to sit down and stop everything else first.

I'll just let the brave new world get on with it....

The driver then probably sued the railway company for "knowingly putting him / her  ( insert your identified gender here ) at risk"

Recently I almost ran someone over, he was walking with his back to me, hood up, earphones in, phone in hand.

No sooner had I thought "I bet this potato head crosses the road", he did.

I dodged behind him and he carried on oblivious. Naturally, if I had hit him, it would have been my fault for being on a motorcycle , as the assumption would be that I was speeding.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, alastairq said:

An excuse for fitting ever louder horns?

Lucas Altette running on 12 volts, British sports bike with acceptable for 1948 silencers, ie don't really do much at all.

I was also going under a bridge at the time. If the worst had happened I suppose I could have dragged the body over the fence onto the railway lines. ;)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, alastairq said:

An excuse for fitting ever louder horns?

One might imagine so, but experience suggests that the Hoodie, ear phones etc must switch off the remaining wide world.  I get on the bike a few times a week to let the respiratory system know that it has a job to do.  A good number of the roads have cycle tracks marked, also, alongside pedestrian ones, where the width allows.   The lever, striker bell was completely ineffective for most nearby pedestrians.  As a result, I purchased an electronic shriek machine, with three different shrieks - sold under the reputation that they could  even penetrate through to the drivers of cars.

Experiences so far have confirmed that the advertised claim that it would alert drivers enclosed in their vehicles, is a fair claim.  

On the other hand, it seems to be unable to reach the conscious areas of the grey matter of many pedestrians.  It is perhaps relevant that the majority of those are, not only hoodied and ear plugged, but many are in company with one or more others, conversing.  I am aware that approaching such unsuspecting persons, within a couple of yards and unleashing such loud noises is antisocial and might even cause surprised victims to have unintended reactions.  So...  starting at a distance, similar to the length of football / hockey pitches, as a first hoot of the toot, would seem reasonable, dependant on the wind direction lately.  A second, applied at half that distance, seems equally in-effective, all those and a quarter distance also leaves them oblivious.  Much closer would seem to enter the zone where, a well intentioned warning, turns into the surprised shock, which I am certainly not inclined to do.  

It seems that the reasonable option is to have patience and hang back, at five yards[ish], until one of the more aware notices and informed the remainder of those present, which produces results in time.  

Julian

• Like 2

Luckily for the chump I dodged, I had anticipated the possibility of his self involvement extending to the belief that he was the only person on earth and doing something f###witted.

I had slowed down and hit the horn, but it was only my alertness that saved him. ( It might sound wrong, but the best way to stay alive on a motorcycle is to assume that everyone else is an idiot )

If he had dented my bike it would have definitely been a fatal accident!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The driver then probably sued the railway company for "knowingly putting him / her  ( insert your identified gender here ) at risk"

Recently I almost ran someone over, he was walking with his back to me, hood up, earphones in, phone in hand.

No sooner had I thought "I bet this potato head crosses the road", he did.

I dodged behind him and he carried on oblivious. Naturally, if I had hit him, it would have been my fault for being on a motorcycle , as the assumption would be that I was speeding.

I have had step out on to road in front of me, sore arm from my mirror. I could NOT miss, that close. (I was doing 15 they stepped out by the front of my bonnet.)

I have had walk into the side of me , just stepped out and walked into the passenger door.

I have had kid ride bike into side of car, low speed, playing on sttep road.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jcredfer said:

One might imagine so, but experience suggests that the Hoodie, ear phones etc must switch off the remaining wide world.  I get on the bike a few times a week to let the respiratory system know that it has a job to do.  A good number of the roads have cycle tracks marked, also, alongside pedestrian ones, where the width allows.   The lever, striker bell was completely ineffective for most nearby pedestrians.  As a result, I purchased an electronic shriek machine, with three different shrieks - sold under the reputation that they could  even penetrate through to the drivers of cars.

Experiences so far have confirmed that the advertised claim that it would alert drivers enclosed in their vehicles, is a fair claim.  

On the other hand, it seems to be unable to reach the conscious areas of the grey matter of many pedestrians.  It is perhaps relevant that the majority of those are, not only hoodied and ear plugged, but many are in company with one or more others, conversing.  I am aware that approaching such unsuspecting persons, within a couple of yards and unleashing such loud noises is antisocial and might even cause surprised victims to have unintended reactions.  So...  starting at a distance, similar to the length of football / hockey pitches, as a first hoot of the toot, would seem reasonable, dependant on the wind direction lately.  A second, applied at half that distance, seems equally in-effective, all those and a quarter distance also leaves them oblivious.  Much closer would seem to enter the zone where, a well intentioned warning, turns into the surprised shock, which I am certainly not inclined to do.  

It seems that the reasonable option is to have patience and hang back, at five yards[ish], until one of the more aware notices and informed the remainder of those present, which produces results in time.  

Julian

The road leading to our allotments has no physical pavement, but a shared foot/cycle path marked on one side with a white line. Having very little traffic, people tend to assume the whole thing is a path, and frequently walk along several abreast, on either side, staring at phones, etc. It's quite scary just how many seem to be utterly oblivious to the approach of a car - sure it's not making much noise at <10mph, but still people ought to be more aware of what's happening around them!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

You should try driving through our town (Looe) in the Summer, it’s like a game of skittles you could never win no matter how many you knock down, absolutely frightening.....we limit our visit to the “high street” to early morning or late afternoons.

And just to make it more fun we have an EV.....totally silent at 3 mph following the loons in the middle of the road, was easier in the massive great big V8 diesel Range Rover.....although more of a squeeze, at least they heard us behind them!

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The day they started putting bus engines  in the backs of double deck buses, was the day the rate of heart attacks increased amongst dodderers....

I 'had' an incident many years ago [decades??] in Bridlington, when driving one of the Lymp-ians....The access street to the old bus station [Chapel Street, as was, for those who knew the place?]................was a narrow street, one-way.  I turned into the street heading for the [old] bus station, plodding carefully as the whole street was full of folk...There, tottering right down the middle of the street was an old fahrt, with his back to the traffic [and me!]...

I slowly moved up behind him, expecting him to realise and move to the side of the road...   Somehow I couldn't imagine being able to miss an orange double deck bus....

Anyhow, he plodded on oblivious to my presence....so I decided to sound the horn.

What I didn't realise was, it was a new, quite raucous, air horn set-up.

I was a good 8-10 yards behind him when I sounded the horn...whereupon he collapsed in a heap in the middle of the road.

Needless to say I stopped [I didn't think the axles would clear his head if i carried on going]....

Sundry do-gooders rushed to his aid, got him sat at the side of the road...he thought his end had come!  Never had a clue there was a bus behind him [I thought I'd been very patient]....Loads of witnesses to say I didn't  try to run him down [most stood on the platform waiting to get off the bus in the bus station] 

Never ever had that problem when I drove AEC Renowns!  :(

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

From what I see every day people still wander across road at random, old people, and kids wearing headsets, are the worst offenders. Saw one bloke earlier saunter across the road even though there was a zebra crossing twenty yards away! 

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Those sauntering obliquely across the road with backs to the traffic flow, having not bothered to LOOK for some time, if at all, and just assuming (wrongly) that all is well so long as they can't hear an internal combustion engine, wake up quite spectacularly when cyclists clip their shoulders firmly as they sweep past...

I've noticed the same thing with groups of pedestrian lemmings who spread themselves across the full width of combined footpaths and cycleways, even taking up the full width where those two paths are quite distinctly separate but happen to be adjacent, absorbed in loud conversations, totally ignoring the needs of other users of the routes, and certainly either ignoring or oblivious to any ringing bells. And as for those walking at one extreme side of such a route, phone held permanently to one ear, with dog on long lead walking/meandering/defaecating  at the opposite extreme side, well, I feel they are just fair game.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, gr.king said:

Those sauntering obliquely across the road with backs to the traffic flow, having not bothered to LOOK for some time, if at all, and just assuming (wrongly) that all is well so long as they can't hear an internal combustion engine, wake up quite spectacularly when cyclists clip their shoulders firmly as they sweep past...

I've noticed the same thing with groups of pedestrian lemmings who spread themselves across the full width of combined footpaths and cycleways, even taking up the full width where those two paths are quite distinctly separate but happen to be adjacent, absorbed in loud conversations, totally ignoring the needs of other users of the routes, and certainly either ignoring or oblivious to any ringing bells. And as for those walking at one extreme side of such a route, phone held permanently to one ear, with dog on long lead walking/meandering/defaecating  at the opposite extreme side, well, I feel they are just fair game.

Serious question, are cycle bells not a requirement anymore?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Serious question, are cycle bells not a requirement anymore?

According to a firm selling cycle insurance, a bike has to be fitted with a bell while in the bike shop, but there is no legal requirement to fit or use them once on the road.  Apparently the law changed in 1999.  The Highway Code merely says that cyclists ‘should be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example by ringing your bell.’ Any other ‘audible warning’ – horn, rattle, duck call or the human voice – would do.  {Note, it doesn't advise about the D**k Heads being discussed above,}.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2