The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

7 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Cougar!  A Mustang without the fashion bullshyte.  Cheep as chipz spares....[like the Mustang].....aside from fuel costs, cheaper to keep than a Focus!

Oh I agree Alastair but they're not easy to find in the UK! I know it's not difficult to have one inspected and shipped over from the USA though. I'm impressed with but not surprised by the parts back up with a lot of American cars as they share so many components, I find this very encouraging.

• Like 3

Mid sixties Mercury Comet if you can find one. They're about the same size as a Vauxhall Cresta, but with the Mustang running gear. A lot of people mistake them for a Pontiac GTO at first glance.

c61f1ff7b2b464903d0825068eb5ae13d2ab09f2.jpg.5bc9c00552745c33a4a80cec5a08bdce.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load!
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

It defiantly works, facing the opposite way now

also of note in the background is the Volvo estate, that’s been in silloth for a good 7 years that we’ve been coming here, it’s a left hand drive version in UK plates  

001(511).JPG

• Like 7

Repaired a lot of these and Cortina mk 3s seemed to be popular in the mid seventies. I had a 1.8TC coupe in purple, good engine body not so good i remember.  I used to like the GXL Cortina especially in yellow, good cruiser just out of price range/insurance with mortgage then.

I started with an Austin minivan  9237 FN in dark green so i painted the wheels orange and put a stripe down each side and down the back doors. Add a peco exhaust and matt black bonnet lovely until...  teaching a mate to drive, he overcooked it on a bend and hit a GPO Minor van coming the other way. So searched round local scrapyards and cut the front of a  Riley Elf and welded that on the van. i then repainted it yellow, with a purple stripe and spray on vinyl roof if anyone remembers them? They had thin self adhesive strips to replicate seams, quite effective .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Got an Elf grille eventually and then added Wood & Picket wind up window conversion. Deseamed it, put a  998cc Cooper engine in it, aircraft bucket seats, sound proofed it and painted it red metalflake with white pinstripes  Later added a set of cosmic alloys with insets pained red oh yes and a klaxon horn.

• Like 3

And white vinyl roof, with Kathy on the bonnet 

I think there were nine coats of lacquer, a lot of rubbing and polishing.

I sold in 1974 when i was in the RAF to a fellow airman but it dont know what happened to it.

I also owned several Jowetts one was a prototype, thats another story, a couple of ZB Magnettes, a 1600E Cortina and a Spitfire 

IMG_20210416_135711727.jpg

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Aha....the pin striping....you forgot to mention the pin striping :D

Oh you did mention it......not so embarrassing now eh? 

I seemed to be so full of life then, old and in pain mostly now and wonder why did i bother!!

Yes the pinstriping, dont think i got to the back doors actually. Got so many folk looking at it, all the time. Never saw another one.

All the rage then the matt black bonnet, photos of a mates Anglia i will put on. Painted metallic blue with matt black bonnet, chromed anti tramp bars, 5 and half J  reverse steel wheels and exhaust coming out the side. Pix taken at Manston Court farm 1968 near where i lived in Margate.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The farmer rented out the old barns and i did some car rebuilding and painting in one on the left there.

The lorry in the background belonged to a fella who worked for Shell, he used to rent  a barn and serviced petrol pumps. The old grey car was a 2.6 Lagonda, he had a large yacht at the farm he was restoring.

Funny old fella, chain smoked and he only lived about four miles away in Margate but by the  time he got to the farm  the car was misfiring. One plug was oiling  up so he took it out swapped it for a spare and replaced it. Been doing it for years apparently!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Aha....the pin striping....you forgot to mention the pin striping :D

Oh you did mention it......not so embarrassing now eh? 

28 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

IMG_20210417_105010083.jpg

IMG_20210417_105037316.jpg

IMG_20210417_104659231.jpg

You forgot the whip aerial, another 60's essential.

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

You forgot the whip aerial, another 60's essential.

Memory not good either until i see a photo brings it all back! The reason i didnt do the rear doors was i think you could get a one piece door conversion maybe it was grp dont know now. Anyway not long after i sold it and bought one of two ZB Magnettes. I missed out on a Sunbeam Talbot Alpine 1953.

More stories for another day!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Other late 60's essentials included 5-1/2" rims and long range lamps to supplement the standard high beams.

1217625539_Mk2CortinaGTatOrchardWay.jpg.cbfb4db1a9cc82dee27be64a5826e5e8.jpg

For Rugd1022's information, the spire in the background is St Marks, Bilton.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Source of my first motoring altercation with the plod, construction and use infringement, fine and endorsement!

Mike.

Aha see, driving around without the end clipped down ;)

• Agree 2