The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

To get it off I have a very useful tool that has a nylon webbing strap fitted to a 1/2" drive "socket". Rotate the drive and it tightens the web around the filter. Keep turning - in the right direction - and it grips the filter and loosens it so you can then turn it off by hand. 

I've tried a number of filter removal tools and find this type the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking for something else, I came across this amongst my photographs:

316317917_IMG_1208-Copy.JPG.0f3e42576f959f34c9f48726e4f3cb27.JPG

I can say it was taken in Charleston, South Carolina in November 2011, but I don't know what make/model it is. However, I'm sure someone else does.

Edited by pH
Grammar
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I've tried a number of filter removal tools and find this type the best.

I too have tried a number of filter removal tools, for the simple reason that every car seems to be designed so that you can't use whichever design of removal tool you've already got.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 coupe. But riding lower than normal.

Is that lower or just rusty turrets? :lol:

Joking aside it’s not often old yank tanks can be things of beauty, but......nice

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I too have tried a number of filter removal tools, for the simple reason that every car seems to be designed so that you can't use whichever design of removal tool you've already got.

Ain’t that the truth........

Actually the very best oil filter removal tool I have is an actual large pressed steel socket for removing the Mann type “upside down filters” on most German cars.

But the strap type, the grip type (tap wrench), offset plier type and even the rusty screw driver works, as you say every car needs a different one, and often the one you haven’t got!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Ain’t that the truth........

Actually the very best oil filter removal tool I have is an actual large pressed steel socket for removing the Mann type “upside down filters” on most German cars.

But the strap type, the grip type (tap wrench), offset plier type and even the rusty screw driver works, as you say every car needs a different one, and often the one you haven’t got!

I've got the chain type.......

Trouble with that one is, getting the chain to sit evenly around the filter case...

I have even had to resort to twisting a long rag round & round tightly, then heaving on the end, just to get the filter started.

The worst that can happen with the screwdriver method is, finding the replacement filter is slightly the wrong sort....?  :(

I'd also like  a thin pair of gloves with grippy palms, as gripping an oil filter that has just had oil slavered down its sides is a nightmare as well....

I can never manage to fit a new filter that looks as neat and clean as it did when it came out of the box.

Dunno why?

Also, as I get older, I am finding my fingers growing less and less like the molegrips they used to be...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Often after depositing a large puddle of green fluid under beneath:D

Can't beat a good old stereotype!!

(Ignoring the pedantry that newer Citroens don't have green fluid, it's orange nowadays, but I didn't mention the age so I'll let you off!)

Mike.

• Funny 3

At what point did Citroen sack all their talented stylists and subcontract the work to the same people who design fast food cartons?

I'm thinking about 1980, same time as everyone else.

12821032.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

At what point did Citroen sack all their talented stylists and subcontract the work to the same people who design fast food cartons?

I'm thinking about 1980, same time as everyone else.

12821032.jpg

A car design which still hasn't been surpassed IMHO.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Strapline from Toyota's advert for their newest hybrid, the CH..... (I don't know, I fell asleep...)

"Stand out from the background..."

I bet you still can't find it in a shopping centre parking lot.

I had that problem as far back as 1992 with a white Astra GTE. 

The solution was to jam an orange ping-pong ball on top of the radio aerial.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I had a BX estate that I got as a write off the years ago. Very capable and comfortable car. 

But it looked like someone had attached wheels to an old Hornby Zero-1...

The BX may have been boxy and normal compared to previous Citroens, but it still looked like nothing else on the road at the time.  And what happened when Citroen went "normal"?  Sales absolutely sky-rocketed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

The BX may have been boxy and normal compared to previous Citroens, but it still looked like nothing else on the road at the time.  And what happened when Citroen went "normal"?  Sales absolutely sky-rocketed.

That's probably because to the majority of people, being adventurous is buying the same car as everyone else, but with a couple of other unnecessary options like heated seats and stowaway cupholders right above the radio...

It's something that makes me laugh when pub know all's assert that the British motorcycle industry went down because it wasn't progressive.

It led the world in the free market economy before WW2, but companies who came up with innovative ideas either shelved them or went under due to lack of buyers willing to take the risk. On the other hand, bread and butter machinery sold like mad. 

So those in charge put the brakes on. Fast forward to 1960 and the booming  Japanese industry (whose design and development departments received massive government funding) saw that the new market was young men who wanted speed and race track performance. They took the risk on innovation and sold it on the back of race victories. Our industry had neither the time or money to counter it and politicians of all persuasions weren't prepared to take decisive action.

Our car industry, being nationalised, should have been impervious, (it made enough "normal" cars) but it wasn't protected from trying to sell substandard cars few people wanted to buy.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

In the late 1960s in Ontario, a fast food chain gave out orange polystyrene balls to be used for that purpose. They were great - until 50% plus of the cars in a parking lot had orange balls on the top of the aerial. We eventually collected enough to cover the whole aerial, which was reasonably distinctive.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

I'd got the idea in 1990 when I saw an old Buick Wildcat in a car park in Tampa with a similar item advertising Phillips 76 on the aerial.

I'm not sure why it was necessary, as the old guzzler stuck out four feet more than all the Chrysler Neons!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Strapline from Toyota's advert for their newest hybrid, the CH..... (I don't know, I fell asleep...)

"Stand out from the background..."

I bet you still can't find it in a shopping centre parking lot.

I take it the electric aerial the GTE had as standard from 88 onward didn't work?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Probably Australia given the vehicles in the background.

They have a lot of Australian vehicles in New Zealand. The locomotive in the background looks like one of the Drewery? locomotives of New Zealand Railways that had been re-engined with AEC units. Also with such a small vehicle it must be narrow gauge which fits in with the NZ 3' 6"" gauge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2