The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

2 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Could that be the awful driving standards that seem to prevail nowadays ...

D'you know, I'm not  so sure today's driving standards are actually any worse than they ever used to be?   Just, perhaps, a  bit more ''in-yer-face'' about it?

The sheer numbers out there driving suggests to me there may be an awful lot more unlicensed 'drivers' [or, banned drivers?] on the roads?

More likley to get away with it too?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, alastairq said:

D'you know, I'm not  so sure today's driving standards are actually any worse than they ever used to be?   Just, perhaps, a  bit more ''in-yer-face'' about it?

The sheer numbers out there driving suggests to me there may be an awful lot more unlicensed 'drivers' [or, banned drivers?] on the roads?

More likley to get away with it too?

I think it’s more that back “in the day” every car was a bit “unstable/whoops” if driven a bit enthusiastically (ok there were a few exceptions) and every driver was wary of it, having usually experienced a near death cornering mishap or pant staining braking issue......and thus every car was driven with caution in the back of the drivers mind, today with even the worst cars  handle reasonably (well actually pretty much very safely) safely and the driver assistance system taking over in extremis and making the driver feel like Fangio on a good day, and the drivers on the road now (at least those from early middle age) have never experienced anything but, seeing a vehicle like that Fiat abortion sends shivers down the spine of any driver who has encountered an adverse camber in a Morris Marina or slippery roundabout in a Triumph Herald/NSU 1000........

Other than that it looks great.....:D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2021 at 09:30, alastairq said:

At one time, I had two Alfa 33s.........................Green cloverleaf.......2nd one, ex motorshow car [not sure which motorshow? Could have been the WI ?]

Both absolute looneytunes.

I loved my Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf. After moving to the Netherlands I drove it over here for more than a year. One day the guards on the NL/D border didn't take kindly to me still driving a British registered car and gave me an ultimatum. Ship it back or import it. My dad drove it back and sold it for me. Sad!

A colleague of mine bought a Lancia Integrale. It was scary quick. I don't think I've seen one since.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

I loved my Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf. After moving to the Netherlands I drove it over here for more than a year. One day the guards on the NL/D border didn't take kindly to me still driving a British registered car and gave me an ultimatum. Ship it back or import it. My dad drove it back and sold it for me. Sad!

A colleague of mine bought a Lancia Integrale. It was scary quick. I don't think I've seen one since.

Mate of mine did the same when he was working on oil rig pipeline X-Raying the welds, he was based in Brittany and earned a packet so he bought a left hand drive BMW 323i Cab in Norway (something to do with tax) and used it for commuting back and forth to the U.K. (it was U.K. registered!) but after a while the customs at St Malo started getting arsey and actually tipped off the U.K. Customs.......in the end he hid it in his Dad’s garage on Foulness which was fine as his Dad worked for the MoD and it was within a secure area.....but after his contract ended he came back and had a hell of a job trying to sell it on, it got very complicated.

As for the Intergrale, nice quick road rocket with silly brakes as standard, unless they were red hot they just wouldn’t stop the thing on short burst country roads.

• Like 5

On 17/03/2021 at 17:35, boxbrownie said:

I think it’s more that back “in the day” every car was a bit “unstable/whoops” if driven a bit enthusiastically (ok there were a few exceptions) and every driver was wary of it, having usually experienced a near death cornering mishap or pant staining braking issue......and thus every car was driven with caution in the back of the drivers mind, today with even the worst cars  handle reasonably (well actually pretty much very safely) safely and the driver assistance system taking over in extremis and making the driver feel like Fangio on a good day, and the drivers on the road now (at least those from early middle age) have never experienced anything but, seeing a vehicle like that Fiat abortion sends shivers down the spine of any driver who has encountered an adverse camber in a Morris Marina or slippery roundabout in a Triumph Herald/NSU 1000........

Other than that it looks great.....:D

Setting off sharply from a roundabout in a Victor 101 on crossplies, not realising that there's diesel all over the road. Impressive piece of fishtailing!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Setting off sharply from a roundabout in a Victor 101 on crossplies, not realising that there's diesel all over the road. Impressive piece of fishtailing!

First car I ever worked on was my Uncle’s 101 Estate......I fitted windscreen washers......I was about 14 or 15 I think, loved it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

I spent 15 months working in Belgium. Bought a lhd 33 (a lot easier for the barrier at work!). I was driving back many weekends.

To be honest there were quite a few uk registered cars floating around Brussels which hadn’t been back to the uk for an mot in a LONG time.

All the best

Katy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Kickstart said:

I spent 15 months working in Belgium. Bought a lhd 33 (a lot easier for the barrier at work!). I was driving back many weekends.

To be honest there were quite a few uk registered cars floating around Brussels which hadn’t been back to the uk for an mot in a LONG time.

All the best

Katy

I used to do a lot of work in Europe and had loads of gear to carry so needed something big and usually a 4X4 or AWD at least, one of my favourites was an Explorer SHO Eddie Bauer Edition from our test track in Nevada, it was used as a tracking vehicle for a few months over there and then was going to be scrapped (all our cars after use would be scrapped back then due tax) but I found out and got it shipped over here, well it was cheaper than us ordering a new one on our budget, so I had a LHD U.K. registered US vehicle driving around Europe, we used to get some odd looks at customs when they were trying to work out what to ask us :lol:......I managed to hang on to that vehicle for over four years, that’s three years longer than I should have, great fun.

• Like 8

On 18/03/2021 at 22:36, PhilJ W said:

When I went to Greece for a holiday back in the late 70's the holiday courier had driven all the way there via Italy in a Mk. II Cortina. The tax on the Cortina was six months out of date.

If it was a 1300, it probably still had a few months to run when he left the UK... 

• Funny 3

Love the paint job on the Mini, I wonder when it was actually done, it comes up as being first reg'd in August '77 so it's possible it was done when almost new for Jubilee year.

On a completely different tangent I've been watching some Chevy Corvair stuff on youtube this afternoon (another rabbit hole well and truly hammered), in particular the 1965 onwards revised shape which I think is well thought out and executed for a rear engined car. I like the elegant roofline and thin window pillars, and the rear panel has a touch of Plymouth / Dodge muscle car about it. A lot of these cars are modified or customised now but I think the unmolested factory look is quite appealing....

1345829792_CHEVCORVAIR196511544586.jpg.7d79059e564190dd5611989d700e739b.jpg

744676835_CHEVCORVAIR196511544588.jpg.948798aec54ebe8aa5457c7f3c24a9e1.jpg

593483659_CHEVCORVAIR10537-1969-chevrolet-classic-wallpaper-preview.jpg.322e931f368ad543ebc59edfae6de047.jpg

1175557621_CHEVCORVAIR1965990fb4b67c.jpg.d24e8b2348bb0adb4f9fa25938289ac7.jpg

As an American take on the rear engined European style coupe I'd say it works really well, I can see hints of Kharman Ghia and Pininfarina in some aspects of the design and it is much better looking than the original 1959 version.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Love the paint job on the Mini, I wonder when it was actually done, it comes up as being first reg'd in August '77 so it's possible it was done when almost new for Jubilee year.

Yes, the vertical and diagonal lines of the flag line up nicely with the pillars so the design suits it well.

As the car was built in Jubilee year, is it possible it left the factory like that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Yes, the vertical and diagonal lines of the flag line up nicely with the pillars so the design suits it well.

As the car was built in Jubilee year, is it possible it left the factory like that?

I doubt it, but I suppose it's possible it may have been commissioned by BL management at the time with someone else doing the actual paint job.

Some more Chevy Corvair stuff....

1705014093_CHEVCORVAIR_1965-Chevrolet-Corvair-01.jpg.2b04af03aa43ec3e86fc1756cb8ae943.jpg

811926999_CHEVCORVAIR519_5883bd14b4.jpg.00aa838dbc1f8d949d059ca2d143be21.jpg

485240435_CHEVCORVAIRFriendsCorsaad1966.jpg.5b90fd465a6f19f4303a5e7ef6dc88a1.jpg

1851545019_CHEVCORVAIRs-l1600RT1.jpg.22a484b41db6165d37d80e521994cd64.jpg

CHEV CORVAIR s-l1600 1965 ADc.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Used to be a few in Worcester from a collector, one was a couple of garages up from my garage when I had a bedsit, at the time I had the Sunbeam

• Like 2