The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Talking of Range Rovers, Roger Moore had an early ones as his 'daily' during the filming of 'The Persuaders' in 1970 and into 1971....

105990721_2642013699386504_523113794780711093_o.jpg.078f12ee95ee56e381a6778fe0a1f75e.jpg

It was also used in an episode called 'The Morning After', in which our Rodge accidentally gets married to Catherine Schell....

1779488475_ITC7.jpg.b4bf49575ec0bca669b85f8355923dc1.jpg

1811806455_ITC8A.jpg.4af24ba9eb51b9490a1536f45fed308f.jpg

143629101_ITC13.jpg.1aa9bb5854b3f31953213f0755d69c27.jpg

1602766089_THEPERSUADERS132.jpg.fb9c483aa95f7840a50a1cadd010cd9c.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 10

16 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Our local town centre car park (shared with Sainsbury) in March has recently been resurfaced, and obviously, the white lines have been repainted. I'm going there tomorrow and I'll get a pic. Sensibly they have added hatched markings between each (normal) bay - lovely. But the number of selfish morons that can't keep off those hatches despair me!

Stewart

As promised a pic of the car park, Note the way the silver car is parked though!. When I went to the main section round the corner, there was another one parked even worse, with the wheels on one side over the double line into the second bay.

WP_20210219_08_49_59_Rich.jpg.472cb7fc36816aa7b07d636b6826ff29.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

As promised a pic of the car park, Note the way the silver car is parked though!. When I went to the main section round the corner, there was another one parked even worse, with the wheels on one side over the double line into the second bay.

WP_20210219_08_49_59_Rich.jpg.472cb7fc36816aa7b07d636b6826ff29.jpg

Our local Sainsburys has them as well. Even though my car is an ex hire car with the odd body dink that belies it's heritage, I am keen to keep it dent free so have a simple solution for modern supermarket car parks.... Go at a quiet time and park in the furthest corner.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

It's the same with my 'local [9 miles away] Sainsbury's...and might be a 'company' policy? Certainly a difference when compared to Aldi's car park, over the [narrow] road!

When I go shopping with my Mustang, I try to park next a  a large hatched area...even though the car is actually a little smaller all round [except inside] than a modern Mondeo.

When I go shopping in my 4Trak, I rarely if ever give a tinker's, about the random abandonment of others. With its 3mm thick box section [60 x 120] sills, the damage from inconsiderate car door openings is always to the other party.....

Years ago, my last wife bought me  a used 'n' abused Suzuki Supercarry van [she reckoned I needed a wheelbarrow]...

What an excellent tool that was.....not overly ecumenical for its engine size, but oh! So useful!

Plus, being barely 4 foot wide, I could park it right next to all the thoughtless, couldn't-care-less parkers in supermarkets, and still be within the confines of MY bay.  As the driver of a poashh modern Bentley found out, when they deicide to take up two parking bays in a nearby Tescos.....I still managed to squeeze in alongside , and be within my parking lines......

Plus, if I couldn't get my drivers [or passenger's] door open far enough to squeeze my large frame in, I could exit by nipping into the back and opening one of the sliding side doors.  Excellent!     

My Dellow is narrow as well....and I have used an empty Tesco trolley-park  shelter in the past...they are just the right size for it. But only if it happens to be raining. Then I don't come back to a wet seat!  Nowt worse than soggy boxers.

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Go at a quiet time and park in the furthest corner.

Tried that in my local B+Q.

The car park there is massive, and I always park in the most remote corner miles away from anyone else.

Do the shopping - come out - there's always another car parked right next to me... not another car around... :banghead:

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

If I went shopping in the Buick, it would be left right at the back of the car park, in the middle of four spaces, there'd be a hundred or more empty d.spaces between it and the three rows of people who have to park on the doorstep.

A seventy something blue badge carrying friend parks way out and walks to the shop. Partly for the exercise, partly because of door bangers, but mostly because of other disabled bay users parking so badly she struggles to get back out.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Yep, it never fails.   We must still have a herd instinct.

Had this happen when I was the only vehicle and one more parked next to me I had to whack its door to open mine.

Yes 2 cars in carpark and the second car had to park too close to the first that I had to really squeeze to get in

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I had one of those Suzuki Carry minivans, only it was badged as a Vauxhall Rascal. You could squeeze it into the tightest of places. Only thing was your legs were the crumple zone. At the time I was practicing bangernomics so I probably wouldn't have noticed any extra dents.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Only thing was your legs were the crumple zone

Medical science being what it is , nowadays it's easier to get a pair of new legs, than than to  repair a car.

Plus, one could have a minor height increase, or reduction, to fit our old cars better?

The one disadvantage of being retired.......I no longer get sick pay...so now, I don't bother going to the doctors....it would be on my time, not the firms..[or rather, the Government's?]......I used to look forward to ensuring I got the most awkward appointments, time-wise, so I could legitimately take the best part of a day off work, on full pay.   

Now I'm retired, I no longer have an excuse to visit my GP.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I have drummed it into my Mrs. from first being together that you park as far away from other cars and the shop as possible in large car parks.   Yet the above happens so often that it can't be chance, there must be something psychological making people do it.

I came to the conclusion that once pretty much within the lines, these people cannot see them.  So they park next to a car as they can see how far away that is by looking out sideways.

Parking is something some people simply never learn to do.  I have a neighbour - we have lived opposite each other for over 20 years - who is no better at parallel parking now than when we moved in, although to be fair I have never seen her hit another vehicle.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A lot of bad parking is laziness, you often see cars in supermarket car parks at all sort of angles and without the wheels straightened up. They've just swung into an empty space without caring about how they leave their cars.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I had one of those Suzuki Carry minivans, only it was badged as a Vauxhall Rascal. You could squeeze it into the tightest of places. Only thing was your legs were the crumple zone. At the time I was practicing bangernomics so I probably wouldn't have noticed any extra dents.

Back in the mid eighties my father used to drive those from the production line to the storage compound in Luton/Dunstable, they were a nightmare in crosswinds, particularly the camper conversions.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, alastairq said:

What an excellent tool that was.....not overly ecumenical for its engine size, but oh! So useful!Plus, being barely 4 foot wide, I could park it right next to all the thoughtless, couldn't-care-less parkers in supermarkets,

Well being four foot wide I am surprised you fitted in the Suzy......:lol:

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

New York 1940's. Does anyone know who made the 'Batmobile' Yellow  cabs?

The Mad Max looking cab with the cutaway front mudguards is a Checker Model A, built 1939-41, before Checker went to war for a few years.

94b931d54b7cdce5ffbb2065a2a1e4b5.jpg.b281b929c7e6e117c0ed976787e8d0b9.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The Mad Max looking cab with the cutaway front mudguards is a Checker Model A, built 1939-41, before Checker went to war for a few years.

Hopefully they weren't designing tanks, for the war effort / US profit....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Hopefully they weren't designing tanks, for the war effort / US profit....

Having driven a Checker Marathon, I reckon that they should have been designing tanks.

What they did do was recycle everything in the factory that wasn't nailed down and turned out thousands of those Ben Hur trailers pulled behind Jeeps and half tracks.

There were a few, already very rich people in America, same as in just about every other country made huge profits. Most people suffered. 

If it wasn't for American car factories, well who knows? 

Morgen die welt...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I want one.

Edit: After a wander around the Web, I discover that there is only one. How very disappointing. 

Edited by PatB

12 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Well being four foot wide I am surprised you fitted in the Suzy......:lol:

The cab was cozy indeed, yet those clever  Japanese designers managed to make use of the space that modern car designers deny everyone ....Probably not too much in the way of metal thickness and plastic [unwanted] trim between oneself and the errant modern motorist, but hey, that was more than was available to the average motorcyclist.  Plus, I kept dry, and could carry wardrobes....something I never ever managed to achieve on my last Honda CG125!

It could also pass between those concrete bollards erected by councils to prevented the passage of motor vehicles. I noted such actions were never actually considered unlawful. Merely unbelievable.  My Dellow is the same, being able to pass easily through gates on campsites meant only for ride-on mowers....

Obvioulsy we are in an age where broad is now considerd good?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, alastairq said:

The cab was cozy indeed, yet those clever  Japanese designers managed to make use of the space that modern car designers deny everyone ....Probably not too much in the way of metal thickness and plastic [unwanted] trim between oneself and the errant modern motorist, but hey, that was more than was available to the average motorcyclist.  Plus, I kept dry, and could carry wardrobes....something I never ever managed to achieve on my last Honda CG125!

It could also pass between those concrete bollards erected by councils to prevented the passage of motor vehicles. I noted such actions were never actually considered unlawful. Merely unbelievable.  My Dellow is the same, being able to pass easily through gates on campsites meant only for ride-on mowers....

Obvioulsy we are in an age where broad is now considerd good?

Only 2 valve SOHC Suzuki engine I have controlled, rest were 2 stroke or TSCC

• Like 2