The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Italian sports cars in general in fact! Or even a thread for sports cars would work. It does seem an obsession for some people! :)

Ok I'll bite - why exactly? The thread title is 'old cars', not 'just old British cars'. I know some of the European / exotic stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea or some feel that they 'can't relate to them', but they're all just old cars when it comes down to it, whatever their country of origin or perceived value is. I sometimes get bored of looking at old Austins, Morrises, Fords, Landrovers or Vauxhalls but I don't complain about it, I just scroll down and carry on! ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, MJI said:

The TD5 is an excellent engine.

One of the D2s best points

Which is one of the reasons the D2 is sought after.......a reliable old Land Rover......well they had to make at least one :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Which is one of the reasons the D2 is sought after.......a reliable old Land Rover......well they had to make at least one :D

But they are also now getting scrapped for spares, reengining classic Range Rovers and post 2007 Defenders. I have driven a late Defender, so TD5 is an upgrade.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Ok I'll bite - why exactly?

Don't know about the "bite" remark, I was simply suggesting that in view of the the amount of interest from some people it would justify a thread of it's own...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not a Ferrari or a Land Rover.

Good off road

Excellent towing capabilities

Easy to park

Foreign exotica

Genuinely vintage

Simple and rugged mechanicals

Road rage proof

Guaranteed to turn heads / scare the sh17 out of people

You can literally do a "drive through" at McDonald's...

d803217c139404cd09bcf9e285259b4e.jpg.4478da37ca6d9b856c9f606527607b8b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Many years ago (1960's) there was a chap who drove around Romford in a Dingo scout car.

There was someone in Maidenhead in the 1980s who had a Ferret Scout Car.

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, steve1 said:

There was someone in Maidenhead in the 1980s who had a Ferret Scout Car.

steve

At the same time a chap at Barrow On Soar had a couple of GMC DUKWs, handy because that part of the world is a bit of a swamp half of the year.

• Like 3

A friend of my son's has just 'part exchanged' some sort of military lorry for a six wheel scout car, no idea what it is but my son was there when it was being unloaded. The fellas a bit keen on such things apparently, 74 years old and working three jobs to pay for the stuff

No doubt it's scheduled to appear at various car shows over the summer including one in the field at the bottom of our lane.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MJI said:

I saw a TV programme recently about a chap who drove to France in a Scorpion including some motorway work.

The Scorpion will cruise all day at 50 on road pads or more if you are brave enough.

• Like 3

Friend of mine was in the Headquarter's Section (boss's section ?) & they drove what they described as supped up versions - 50 was very conservative.  The one thing they were apparently not allowed to do was turn the turret on the motorway to disuade tailgaiters.  Not that anyone in their right minds would do so, as a scorpion's stopping distance is a lot less than a car's.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not a Ferrari or a Land Rover.

Good off road

Excellent towing capabilities

Easy to park

Foreign exotica

Genuinely vintage

Simple and rugged mechanicals

Road rage proof

Guaranteed to turn heads / scare the sh17 out of people

You can literally do a "drive through" at McDonald's...

A few years ago, someone at work was looking for suggestions for a new vehicle.  From the requirements list, a couple of us concluded that what he needed was a Land Rover 101 FC.  IIRC he ended up with a mundeo estate.

Adrian

• Funny 4

The 101 was a big improvement on the original FC, which according to those who make new galv chassis, no two are alike. I remember someone selling one on which all the welding had been done... I only needed to see the photos....

Done indeed, done to death, done with a £20 stick welder, done with bits of old fridge.

Definitely more interesting than a Mondeo though if I were in the market for such a thing I would go for a 1970s Steyr Pinzgauer, if only for the not so rust prone chassis.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, duncan said:

Friend of mine was in the Headquarter's Section (boss's section ?) & they drove what they described as supped up versions - 50 was very conservative.  The one thing they were apparently not allowed to do was turn the turret on the motorway to disuade tailgaiters.  Not that anyone in their right minds would do so, as a scorpion's stopping distance is a lot less than a car's.

Plus you never have to worry about where to park...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, duncan said:

Tell me about it! Seventy was generally the quoted figure, but nobody who hasn't seen it for themselves ever believes me! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Plus you never have to worry about where to park...

And on that note, when my daughter pops down to her local takeaway with an order for fish and chips for the graders she never has an issue parking in this, she says if there are outsiders in the shop she gets some very odd looks when a skinny little girl gets out.....
20D24F4C-E380-4997-B704-76538DCA2A49.jpeg.62368aa789c1d601eacee0e24e1ff51f.jpeg

:D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 5
  • Funny 6

Someone in East Acton, back in the late seventies, had a Saracen which he drove around in.  Quite nearby another guy had a small tracked tank, which also got driven around.  I can't recall the type of tank, but it was Scorpion sized.  One way of negotiating London traffic back then, got a clear space all the way round.

Julian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Alvis used the B4453, off the A45 near Dunchurch in Warwickshire, know locally as The Straight Mile, for their acceleration and speed test runs in the 1950's. My Uncle lived close by and told me about it.

There was a former airfield site nearby at Lawford Heath, used occasionally for sprint meetings around part of the perimeter road and along the runway, although in poor condition by the 60's. I only saw one event there, notable for a Jaguar D Type driven by an RAF officer. The track was so rough that his goggles ended under his chin after hitting one bump at speed.

I had probably gone their in my MG VA. This is how it looked when I bought it in two tone green. After about a year it got a repaint. The number is now a vanity plate carried by a Bronze diesel Nissan Qashqai, the ignominy of it.

MG-VA-CDA-456.jpg.dd3dfdcbd8fd9d2ebc900d411aed9e57.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I can relate to that, last known whereabouts of very early 1958 Vauxhall Cresta TBC 666 was it's identity is on a Honda.

They make generators for caravans don't they?

Yes, extremely good ones too.......from experience most likely the quietest and smoothest in the world.

• Like 3