The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Germany has one of the toughest roadworthiness regimes. Failures are often shipped to Poland that has a less stringent test and when they fail that test they often go further east to Ukraine.

Aren't the test stations government run in Germany? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

A quick and not very subtle deviation away from the MOT talk..... ;)

ISO #550.jpg

ISO BIZZA GP.jpg

ISO BIZZA VIA LULLI LIVORNO RACING TEAM.jpg

Agree Nige, MoT’s are maybe not relevant in a thread about old cars with a definition of old as >40. Maybe better on the modern classics thread?

My old car

4B6C1B38-28C1-4425-9A73-965A35C94E40.jpeg

Edited by Beechnut
Wrong image
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Germany has one of the toughest roadworthiness regimes. Failures are often shipped to Poland that has a less stringent test and when they fail that test they often go further east to Ukraine.

Indeed, much the same with the Japanese testing....and why so many Jap market vehicles get exported at such young ages with very low mileages.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

A quick and not very subtle deviation away from the MOT talk..... ;)

ISO BIZZA GP.jpg

Ohhhhh....not sure that Hewland box would last long amongst Milan traffic.......they don’t make good bumpers :lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Kickstart said:

Being fair, quite a few MOT testers struggle as well.

All the best

Katy

That's true enough, it's a bit worrying when they have to drive your car onto the ramp and can't start it, let alone get it into gear. 

I had a big falling out with one of the insurance companies who wrote off a vehicle on the say so of an assessor who openly admitted that he had never even heard of the vehicle he was inspecting, let alone seen one. 

He had claimed that a damaged component that held a single self tapping screw was structural and beyond economic repair. 

Despite the fact that I proved that the structure wasn't distorted, the insurers insisted that the vehicle be scrapped as dangerous as they could not contradict the decision of their "engineer". I may have referred to him as "an office boy" and requested to see evidence of his qualifications, but got no response. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Back to the subject of old cars. Should keep most happy. Doesn't need MOT or tax. Registered 1964. Not some 80s / 90s wrong wheel drive hatchback or fitted with any electronics. (So doesn't belong on the Modern Classics thread) Not an exotic sports car or modern replica. 

Probably much rarer as most were thrashed from new as repmobiles then driven into the ground as taxis before either being scrapped or banger raced in the 1970s.

Actually rather nice to drive, reasonably quick and economical, still quite capable of dealing with modern traffic too.

03000694.jpg

03000697.jpg.98b20f5c9ad4eb75e8fb4a833227c71e.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Indeed, much the same with the Japanese testing....and why so many Jap market vehicles get exported at such young ages with very low mileages.

I believe the super test comes at ten years. There may be also tax penalties after this point too. Their loss our gain. My first MX5 came rust free and fully loaded with extras rarely seen on UK models.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Back to the subject of old cars. Should keep most happy. Doesn't need MOT or tax. Registered 1964. Not some 80s / 90s wrong wheel drive hatchback or fitted with any electronics. (So doesn't belong on the Modern Classics thread) Not an exotic sports car or modern replica. 

Probably much rarer as most were thrashed from new as repmobiles then driven into the ground as taxis before either being scrapped or banger raced in the 1970s.

Actually rather nice to drive, reasonably quick and economical, still quite capable of dealing with modern traffic too.

03000694.jpg

Definitely rarer than a Lamborghini Miura! Those tail light clusters look very familiar, I wonder which other cars they've appeared on, not just Vauxhalls either....?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Definitely rarer than a Lamborghini Miura! Those tail light clusters look very familiar, I wonder which other cars they've appeared on, not just Vauxhalls either....?

Lotus Elan for one, which means that rear lights are very hard to find and ouch money if they're NOS.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

If I remember rightly, Aston's used Humber Hawk rear lights and the Bristol 412 used those from the facelift Bedford CF. 

AC used Morris Minor rear lights as did Jaguars and the first Austin FX4 taxis, before being altered to take Austin 1100 lights.

Well it's more interesting than the jokes in the crackers....

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

03000694.jpg

And from Carlisle too. You'd think it would have dissolved in all the rain. 

Always liked the FB Victor, especially in VX4/90 form. Was it the VX4/90 that had sort of inverted "T" shaped tail lights? ISTR a minority of FBs having such a thing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

They were a solid old bus, most of the mud traps of the previous models had been eliminated.

The VX4/90 had an extra lamp built above the cluster which gave the distinctive T shape. I had a pale blue one with a dark blue stripe on a Leicester registration. It's one of those cars I have often regretted selling.

They don't mind rain, it's all the *#**@ road salt in winter that kills cars in Britain.

I think that it might have been a conspiracy to sell new cars. We used sand for winter grip until about 1958, two years later they bring in the MOT and start checking for rust! :D

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Would also double it's value!

It would probably be a better bet than those from the UK which have usually rotted where the chassis / floorpan meet the firewall. 

It's another one of those cars that some of us wish we had filled an aircraft hanger with in the days you could buy one for £50.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, steve1 said:

And count the continuity errors regarding the damage to the 2CV. Also the skid plate underneath.

steve

To my mind the most remarkable bit of 'damage' is when the bad guys manage to shoot out the fuel gauge(?) without either hitting Melina's hand, or breaking the rear window....

• Funny 4