The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

My earlier iphone would offer me updates, even when they wouldn't work on the phone version.  So you spent time downloading, then it told you it wouldn't upgrade for your version, then you tried to use it in the original version and it tells you that it will no longer "F*in" work now anyway.  With everything else they know and control through the phone, it would be nice if they simply informed you of those matters, with a message in their updates.   Something like - "We have decided it's time for you to be buying a new phone from us.  We have, therefore put an upgrade on "X App" so it will no longer be usable with the version you have on your phone.  You can try, should you chose to do so, but the purchase of a new phone is the only solution.  We know, because we spent millions ensuring that there is no way to circumvent the upgrade."  

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

That's what killed my last phone, which had a way better camera than the current POS.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, just that someone wanted to force me to buy a new one by rendering it obsolete.

Cue some 36 year old virgin calling me a technophobe...;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I've had two (2nd hand) Apple phones, but I would never buy a new one for the reasons you've all described above.  The second is that I take great exception to any organisation who takes people, gets them to learn the menus of two products by rote and calls them a Genius.

Anyway, I'll say no more until we're back to talking about interesting older cars.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

They might be able to wiggle out of people using them to swap a petrol car to electric using their bits, but if they brick components that someone uses to repair their Tesla then I would suspect they have no defence at all.

All the best

Katy

I agree, but they aren’t that concerned with repaired Tesla’s (although I expect they aren’t that pleased either) but the main bug they have is with other “assemblers” using Tesla components in effectively kit cars and converted classics.

Although I know that a lot of  “assemblers” use new Tesla battery packs in conversions, I guess as long as the software and control gear isn’t  pinched they are happy to sell packs.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 2

I'm as guilty as anyone else, I believe that there is a separate thread for anyone wanting to feel ethically superior by driving an overpriced milk float. PS, anyone seen the mess that lithium mining makes?

This car has a battery, probably a big old Exide or Dagenite. It also recharges itself as it drives along so as not to waste energy charging up.

It's also a damn sight more stylish than a Prius. :jester:

03000683.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

It’s certainly the last point for sure, have you seen the big baby in charge of Tesla :lol:

Well, at least one other American big baby is no longer in charge, whatever myths he tries to create.

steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

As someone who's always regarded Copperhead Road as more mission statement than cautionary tale, I don't anticipate any practical problems with obtaining sufficient quantities of useable fuel for any ICE I might want to operate recreationally. :jester:Wouldn't be the first time I've made me combustion Chambers a bit smaller. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, alastairq said:

Back in the days when I was an urban dweller [If Brockley Rise could be called 'urban?'] the big 'issue' was the so-called 'lead' in petrol. Hammersmith Flyover was deemed the main cause of low IQs amongst all the surrounding local kids.

What do they blame now?

16 hours ago, alastairq said:

Just realised...those kids will be today's 60 year olds.....

, and could well be politicians.

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4