The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Wouldn't have thought there were that many crashed ones around?

More than you might think. Even a minor accident in a Tesla results in work that is considered uneconomic to repair, leading to an insurance write-off.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

More than you might think. Even a minor accident in a Tesla results in work that is considered uneconomic to repair, leading to an insurance write-off.

Whereas a bump in a pre 1980 type of car generally results in another restoration job, often more thorough than the previous job. 

Which I still maintain is the greener approach.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Mind, if petrol gets banned altogether...[why not just in London & Manchester...Brum can see to itself....then leave us country folk to our own devices, seeing as we aren't choking anybody's kids?....Yet!]    I've promised my old mate I'm going to find me an old milk float......then I can really really annoy the younger generation drivers!

My view is..their  parents & grandparents have got in my way throughout my entire driving life...so now, it's payback time!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Why is that the case? If it is then it's a bad design flaw!

Is it the same case for all EVs, or is it just Teslas?

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You jest about the cities but this is the problem that diesel is being scapegoated for.  The public rushed to buy diesels NOT because the government told them - based on what they were briefed, that CO2 was the major problem to be addressed - but because they believed the sales pitch that you could save a lot of money on fuel.  Except for most drivers of new or nearly new cars, saving 25% of your fuel costs is not significant in the overall cost of owning the vehicle.  It's like driving around with a bag of cement in the boot, but trying to save excess weight by cutting your toenails.

Diesel is not a problem in most of rural or semi-rural Britain, the dispersal of emissions across a low population density area means it doesn't cause health issues, whereas in cities (where diesel cars are operating outside their optimum operating duty cycle) the fumes are an issue.  It is the same with open fires; there is no reason other than fashion to have one in an urban home.

• Agree 3

The biggest cause of fumes in cities, if the centre of Brum is anything to go by, is black cabs and private hire cars sitting stationary with their engines running to keep the drivers warm. Not to mention the poorly tuned Deliveroo (substitute delivery company of your choice) mopeds/motorbikes...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Back in the days when I was an urban dweller [If Brockley Rise could be called 'urban?'] the big 'issue' was the so-called 'lead' in petrol. Hammersmith Flyover was deemed the main cause of low IQs amongst all the surrounding local kids.

What do they blame now?

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Over many years we had more times than I could count visits from Gov officials wanting to know what we could do, would be doing, have in the planning stage or just bounce ideas around as to what legislation and advances would be possible, these seemingly random plans put out by Gov aren’t pulled out of thin air but planned and agreed with manufacturers long before Joe public hears about them. Sure manufacturers need time to work new technology into cycle plans but they are very seldom taken by surprise by them, after all when existing technology becomes old consumers want (most of them regardless of this thread ;)) the new stuff, it’s shiney and looks great on the drive and makes for good profits.

Yes, I completely agree that this is definitely the preferred approach, I spent time in MoD and got involved in various of the processes.  I even kicked off an idea on a Station posting, which went through due process at MoD, the proposed kit arrived at another Station I was posted too later, for field trials, and ended up being run out for use a few years later.  However, firstly, I'm not quite sure that BJ is a fully signed up "system" member and secondly I don't [yet] see other EU countries making similar noises, which might have been expected.  Car manufacturers will be disinclined to be making one type for the UK and go with another 10 years for the rest.  Given there are more folks in the rest of the EU, than the UK, BJ had better have had those relevant conversations and agreements with the others.....   umm.....    :unknw_mini:

Julian

• Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, APOLLO said:

My old Rover V8 starts & runs very well on Tesco unleaded bog standard, it was designed to use 5 star, I have adjusted the ignition a touch to stop pinking - which only happened with foot to the floor !!!. Since I bought her in 1982 she has never had a gallon of 5 star down her throat. I add a touch of red ex treatment now & again (when I remember !!). Bought a dozen bottles for £1 each at Morrisons a while ago. Should last me till 2030 !!!!! 

Brit15

When I was running my old Austin A30 (on a shoestring) I found an old manual, from about 1951, that showed how to set it up to run on.....80 octane! As designed it was 95 octane. I did it and never bothered any more. Lasted me 12 years.... & 250k miles.

Stewart

• Like 4

Most cars of that era were designed to be adjusted to run on low grade petrol, extremes of temperature or altitude. Now all that is done for you. 

Most of my bikes were built in the late 1940s early 1950s and were designed to run on wartime "Pool" petrol. They still perform well on unleaded. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, and Tesla have been trying to stop them, they have to be careful with the control gear and make sure it's "online capability" is blocked, because in the States Tesla have been turning off battery packs and control gear used from salvaged Teslas.

Would have thought it would be illegal in the UK for Tesla to do that, under the computer misuse act. Wouldn’t surprise me if they try though!

All the best

Katy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Would have thought it would be illegal in the UK for Tesla to do that, under the computer misuse act. Wouldn’t surprise me if they try though!

All the best

Katy

I have no idea what the computer misuse act is, or what it refers to but I expect Tesla wouldn’t care regardless :D

Does that extend to the computer chips in iPhones......because we have two old iPhones now which can no longer be updated online.....now that’s misuse by the manufacturer!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I have no idea what the computer misuse act is, or what it refers to but I expect Tesla wouldn’t care regardless :D

Does that extend to the computer chips in iPhones......because we have two old iPhones now which can no longer be updated online.....now that’s misuse by the manufacturer!

Likewise and really irritating, as some of the useful Aps, like hearing aids and parking, also need the phone to be updated, to work.   They won't even work without the extra new bits, as before.  That's a load of money for very little improvement.

Julian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

My understanding is that modifying a computer system without authorisation is illegal. The clause (from Wikipedia here) unauthorised modification of computer material, punishable by twelve months/maximum fine (or six months in Scotland) on summary conviction and/or ten years/fine on indictment would seem to cover it. 

With the iPhones the situation is slightly different, as in effect they are taking no active action to disable them. Although I agree the way Apple force out older models is pretty dubious.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It might be a case of blocking and monopolising the EV industry, it's certainly happened elsewhere.

Or

They could argue that the components were specifically designed for X application in their vehicles and are concerned about them being used not as intended and creating a potentially unsafe condition, so they felt that it was the responsible thing to disable parts from a vehicle that had been involved in a collision, blah blah blah....

Or perhaps the programming in those components were considered to be intellectual property and should not be used elsewhere...

Or just good old Waaaa! I'm taking my ball home!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

My understanding is that modifying a computer system without authorisation is illegal. The clause (from Wikipedia here) unauthorised modification of computer material, punishable by twelve months/maximum fine (or six months in Scotland) on summary conviction and/or ten years/fine on indictment would seem to cover it. 

With the iPhones the situation is slightly different, as in effect they are taking no active action to disable them. Although I agree the way Apple force out older models is pretty dubious.

All the best

Katy

I would imagine with Tesla they could just argue that the vehicle systems within the control/battery components are proprietary to Tesla and cannot be modified for use without permission, just like breaching  IP laws.

Dunno, but I am sure Tesla’s lawyers could wriggle out of it :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It might be a case of blocking and monopolising the EV industry, it's certainly happened elsewhere.

Or

They could argue that the components were specifically designed for X application in their vehicles and are concerned about them being used not as intended and creating a potentially unsafe condition, so they felt that it was the responsible thing to disable parts from a vehicle that had been involved in a collision, blah blah blah....

Or perhaps the programming in those components were considered to be intellectual property and should not be used elsewhere...

Or just good old Waaaa! I'm taking my ball home!

It’s certainly the last point for sure, have you seen the big baby in charge of Tesla :lol:

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Likewise and really irritating, as some of the useful Aps, like hearing aids and parking, also need the phone to be updated, to work.   They won't even work without the extra new bits, as before.  That's a load of money for very little improvement.

Julian

Yes, and annoyingly the test and trace app doesn’t work with (AFAIK) with anything less than V12 on the iPhone.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I would imagine with Tesla they could just argue that the vehicle systems within the control/battery components are proprietary to Tesla and cannot be modified for use without permission, just like breaching  IP laws.

Dunno, but I am sure Tesla’s lawyers could wriggle out of it :D

They might be able to wiggle out of people using them to swap a petrol car to electric using their bits, but if they brick components that someone uses to repair their Tesla then I would suspect they have no defence at all.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1