The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Serious bit of lowering that is useless off track or showfield. I'd have more respect for all the work involved if you could get it over a speed hump and use it on the road.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Agree 4

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Serious bit of lowering that is useless off track or snowfield. I'd have more respect for all the work involved if you could get it over a speed hump and use it on the road.

Really useful on today's traffic clogged roads.  :jester:

One of the reasons I am really glad to be born at the end of the WWII.  Lots of roads, little traffic, cars easy to service and modify, with the space to use them as modified.  Oh yea, and a sports car a real "puller!"  Also glad that the roads are now clogged to the extent that my lesser reaction times don't suffer the results that otherwise would have occurred.....

Julian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

with Boris announcing the end of Diesel & petrol car sales from 2030 is this going to effect the value of classic cars will they increase or decrease in value as there useability deminishes will petrol & diesel become increasingly expenseive and more dificult to obtain to run these vehicles ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 minutes ago, peanuts said:

with Boris announcing the end of Diesel & petrol car sales from 2030 is this going to effect the value of classic cars will they increase or decrease in value as there useability deminishes will petrol & diesel become increasingly expenseive and more dificult to obtain to run these vehicles ?

Many of the run of the mill (pun intended) classic cars, if the owner wishes to still drive them,  will probably be converted to electric propulsion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zGGypnauxE&list=PLzD0K2OhbVfEs4ENmPNe3EQb7deSqRqqU

For the really exotic/expensive vehicles, there could be synthetic fuels produced in small quantities at large expense available.

• Like 2

It will probably devalue them. Most ordinary classic car owners can't afford or justify the expense. High end cars will simply be locked away and traded like stocks and shares as before.

It's all very well banning the sale of new oil powered cars by 2030, but a lot of people will still need to run such cars to keep putting bread on the table. This will be exacerbated by the fact that few people work at the factory at the end of the street anymore.

I can't see electric cars becoming affordable anytime soon. I had to laugh at some a$$clown the other day saying that he thought that £43000 for a glorified milk float was a bargain.

So I suspect that petrol is going to have to be made available at a reasonable price for some time to come.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

My understanding is that it sales of new petrol and diesel cars that will cease. It would not be feasible to make everyone stop driving existing vehicles and switch all in one go. 

I suspect the idea is for a gradual/phased removal of fossil fuelled vehicles that would need to last some yeats.

As for classics, maybe some kind of dispensation might be proposed.

steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

32 minutes ago, steve1 said:

My understanding is that it sales of new petrol and diesel cars that will cease. 

Not strictly true, they've said that some (they've not said which) hybrids will still be allowed, as usual the headline doesn't tell the full story.

The Gov will have a big hole in their income when diesel/petrol fuel sales fall due to this so expect to see road pricing come in soon.

Re classics I expect to see them continue but with some restrictions on use, as far as emissions go they are a very low contributor, even though individual ones may be bad they usually don't go very far. TBH I think it's the fact that fuel stations are likely to start disappearing as they will be unviable which will do more to reduce their use than any ban. 

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

When catalytic converters first became compulsory, the last non cat cars were worth more 2nd hand than catalysed versions. People would pay extra to avoid the potential costs.

Oil will still continue to be extracted for use in plastics, etc. If the extracts used for petrol cannot be repurposed then potentially it could reduce in price! Probably unlikely though. And if hybrids continue to be allowed then fuel supplies will continue for longer.

As for an electric conversion of a classic car, absolutely zero interest for me. Completely misses the appeal. In effect it would be like wanting to listen to The Beetles and someone suggesting listening to Justin Bieber in mono with an overlay of scratches, etc, as a good replacement.

All the best

Katy

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Not strictly true, they've said that some (they've not said which) hybrids will still be allowed, as usual the headline doesn't tell the full story.

Pretty sure the announcement said Hybrid vehicles with a pure battery range of more than or close to the petrol/diesel range would be still allowed......in other words the business tax dodge hybrids on sale now will be banned......good job too, most plug-ins never see a charger.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Well my 1973 Rover P5B V8 has depleted a few oilfields and spewed out of her twin exhausts quite a bit of CO2 (and other shyte) in her time. I bought her for £800 back in 1982. Still run her a bit, under 500 miles / year. I've no intention of parting with her, though one day she will hopefully go into someone's static collection no doubt.

I've been motoring since my dad gave me his old Daimler Majestic (3.8 litre straight 6) back in 1971. Had some great cars (and a couple of duds) over the years. Driving WAS fun once. A PITA these days.

Electric cars at silly prices ain't for me, not at the moment anyway.

My next daily runner ? - I've always fancied a Jag - perhaps the next few years will be my last chance to own one (Dad had a Mk7).  Some decent ones around for a couple of grand - enjoy it a while & chuck it away (Did I just write chuck a Jag away ?). X Types are getting thin on the ground (rust), S types also. Perhaps a diesel XF or XJ, or shall I go daft with an early XK ? - Yes old Jags are a bit risky - but what the hell -----------

Lots can, and no doubt will happen between now and 2030. I wouldn't place odds on any outcome.

Brit15

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Pretty sure the announcement said Hybrid vehicles with a pure battery range of more than or close to the petrol/diesel range would be still allowed

Where does it say that? I've no doubt some of the newspapers will have made it up! Autoexpress have a better report on it and it says "a "significant distance" in zero-emission mode" but doesn't say what that is, so until we get more details we all we have is speculation. One of those "testing the water" government announcements to see what the reaction is, as usual.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Hobby said:

Where does it say that? I've no doubt some of the newspapers will have made it up! Autoexpress have a better report on it and it says "a "significant distance" in zero-emission mode" but doesn't say what that is, so until we get more details we all we have is speculation. One of those "testing the water" government announcements to see what the reaction is, as usual.

I heard it on R4 earlier in the week, pretty sure it was a spokesperson of UKGOV being interviewed or possibly SMMT chap.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Of course, it’s still ten years away and vehicle technology will change adapt to regs, to fix regs in stone now would be stupid, but then at least it would give people even more chance to slag off whoever they deem needs it.

• Like 1

It would certainly be logical to have such a thing, but what is such a range? My diesel Golf will do 600 miles on one tank full, but some of the petrol versions of the same car can only do half that, so which would they use?! As I said, too early to judge that part of it. Logic would say in the 250/350 miles range but that's just my guess, as is any other figure until they say it officially.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

As for an electric conversion of a classic car, absolutely zero interest for me. Completely misses the appeal. In effect it would be like wanting to listen to The Beetles and someone suggesting listening to Justin Bieber in mono with an overlay of scratches, etc, as a good replacement.

All the best

Katy

Which is one side of the coin. The other being those people who like the looks of classic cars, but do not want the problems that can be involved with running old machinery (most of those problems being associated with old engines).

• Agree 2

True, but for many of us that run classics it's the feel, sound and performance of the engine that makes it worth running a classic. Take the engine out of it and replace with a silent electric one and I have to agree with Kickstart, it will have lost it's soul. Put an electric motor in it and it isn't a classic any more...

• Agree 8
  • Round of applause 2

Here is a picture from the Manchester Archives 1972 album, the E type is still around, MOT expired in Oct 2019.

The whole archive is packed with inspirational photographs from the 60's and early 70's, sadly all B&W.

Negative No: 1972-0946 - Negatives Book Entry:  Byron Street C.P.O. Various Views

Here is the link to the full album list. https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterarchiveplus/albums/with/72157713802997328

Edited by w124bob
Link added
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kickstart said:

When catalytic converters first became compulsory, the last non cat cars were worth more 2nd hand than catalysed versions. People would pay extra to avoid the potential costs.

Oil will still continue to be extracted for use in plastics, etc. If the extracts used for petrol cannot be repurposed then potentially it could reduce in price! Probably unlikely though. And if hybrids continue to be allowed then fuel supplies will continue for longer.

All the best

Katy

Points well made Katy.  Oil is used for any number of things for which the alternatives are simply not practical, that the oil companies will be desperate to offload the lighter ends of the refined products which amount to a huge volume of product they can't otherwise sell.

We need to remember this is new cars only and it's ten years away.  Properly looked after, cars last a long time nowadays (mine's 18 years old with hardly a scratch, let alone rust) so realistically, internal combustion-only cars are going to be on the roads in big numbers for the next 30 years.  In fact I've worked out that the only hybrid or electric car I will ever own could well be my last before I have to give up driving.  I don't buy new or even nearly new cars, but then what some people insist you must spend to have an "acceptable" car, I find hilarious.

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

My next daily runner ? - I've always fancied a Jag - perhaps the next few years will be my last chance to own one (Dad had a Mk7).  Some decent ones around for a couple of grand - enjoy it a while & chuck it away (Did I just write chuck a Jag away ?). X Types are getting thin on the ground (rust), S types also. Perhaps a diesel XF or XJ, or shall I go daft with an early XK ? - Yes old Jags are a bit risky - but what the hell --

Lots can, and no doubt will happen between now and 2030. I wouldn't place odds on any outcome.

Go for it, get a Jag!  I had an S-type (3-litre V6) for 6 months, it was a hound with far too much wrong with it to justify repair, but it was still the nicest car to drive that I've ever owned.  I bought too cheap, but it looks like you can get a really good one for £3K.  Always fancied an XJS myself but the traders have bought them all, cleaned them up and now charge silly money.  XJ6s are still affordable though.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

It would certainly be logical to have such a thing, but what is such a range? My diesel Golf will do 600 miles on one tank full, but some of the petrol versions of the same car can only do half that, so which would they use?! As I said, too early to judge that part of it. Logic would say in the 250/350 miles range but that's just my guess, as is any other figure until they say it officially.

There are pure EV which will do that now (just) stick a ICE in there as well, even if only a small Atkinson cycle drive/charger and you’ll have your 600 miles range on the sales sheet, in five years range has doubled more or less, with newer battery technology and a bit of magic who knows, in another five years you may well have your 600 miles on pure EV, and by then in transit chargers will be so much faster also, plug in a 350Kw fast charger and you’ll have another 200 miles in 15 minutes........

All this speculation is all good fun, and to be honest a bit of a waste of time right now until the cows come home at least. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

My next daily runner ? - I've always fancied a Jag - perhaps the next few years will be my last chance to own one (Dad had a Mk7).  Some decent ones around for a couple of grand - enjoy it a while & chuck it away (Did I just write chuck a Jag away ?). X Types are getting thin on the ground (rust), S types also. Perhaps a diesel XF or XJ, or shall I go daft with an early XK ? - Yes old Jags are a bit risky - but what the hell -----------

Definitely go for it, as said above.......it’s getting close to being the last chance to be silly with your choice of vehicle now, Forget the x type, S type and even the XF (far too refined and modern) go for a nice XJ......preferably a late XJ300 type, reliable and rust free and classic old Jaguar saloon looks and ride, and if you want to be a looney get the XJR version.....if it’s your last car, it’ll cost you a fortune to run but you will be measured for your coffin with a bloody big smile on your face :lol:

We’ve had several XJ saloons through the range and by far the 300 was the very best.......

Or go all out.....if you really want a living room on wheels buy a Range Rover, as late as you can.....sublime to drive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rocor said:

Which is one side of the coin. The other being those people who like the looks of classic cars, but do not want the problems that can be involved with running old machinery (most of those problems being associated with old engines).

There are some cars which for me would not loose their appeal when converted to EV, 2CV/Dyane, Fiat 500(original) old Mini's(not Cooper) all are actually more driveable in EV guise on a daily basis than than their petrol equivalent. The other issue is they still retain the basic simplicity, the Youtube clips I've seen of both 2CV and Fiat show cars which can keep up with modern traffic, retain the gearbox(3rd gear use mainly) I'd have a 2CV tomorrow, except there is no charging infrastructure nearby and I live on street of terraced houses(thats the elephant in the room) even a 2CV conversion isn't cheap.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1