The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On 06/10/2020 at 10:58, steve1 said:

I wonder what convertible Ms Loren is driving?

steve

1963 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III Convertible H.J.Mulliner.

The film, Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

GAnd to bring the thread down to earth and away from largely extinct Italian exotica, here's a Mk1 Zephyr I recently encountered. Not sure about some of the it's received, but it appeared basically sound and mostly original, with an entirely plausible 52,000 miles on the odometer. 

IMG_20201010_092316.jpg

IMG_20201010_092336.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PatB said:

I can't remember if I ever posted the Mk1 E-type I spotted in roughly the same spot. Anyhow, it was very nice, so I'm not going to apologise if this is a repost.

Doesn't really matter, you can't have enough pictures of nice E types!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

35 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Doesn't really matter, you can't have enough pictures of nice E types!

Mike.

It's a shame we can't post smells, as it had that redolence of hot iron and fugitive petroleum vapours that is so seductive about old cars with SU carbs and open crankcase breathers. 

Edited by PatB
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, PatB said:

And, in profile... 

IMG_20201010_092355.jpg

I really like those old Zephyrs/Consuls.....Ford [UK] first attempt at a unitary bodyshell.  Still only 3 gears though..Ford obviously knew we drivers really didn't need any more than that?  The experience Ford got from these models was useful when they designed the 100E Prefect range.....finally getting away from chassis and one-spring-at-each-end technologies that had served Ford [and its customers] so well for decades? Yup, they still retained the sidevalve engine layout in the 100E...since it was better than equal to the small oHV competitors, at the time...and cheaper to produce. The 100E still retained much of the running gear design of the previous models...again, simpler to alter the tooling than to pay for brand new? Axles were similar, as were gearboxes....brakes went hydraulic, simply because it made manufacture easier and cheaper.  

Good ol' Ford!

Dunno what on earth they're thinking of these days???

• Like 2

"The Ford is my Motor, 
I shall not want - another,
It maketh me to lie down in strange places,
It leadeth me in the path of ridicule,
Yea, though I run down valleys I am towed uphill,
It annointeth my head with oil, its tank runneth over,
Surely the darn thing won't follow me
All the days of my life
Or I shall dwell in the house of the insane forever."

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, MJI said:

I saw a mk4 Zodiac yesterday

Aaah..the good ol' ''flight-deck'' Ford.  On account of it's bonnet capable of allowing a Phantom to take off & land?   Or so it appeared?  Part of the driving test eyesight check was, ''can you see the bonnet mascot?''

Saw one a month or so ago when I went to have a gander at what Mathewsons Auctions were floggin'.  There was an estate version....[They're effectively, ''up the road'' from me, so worth an email, and a visit...]   No chance of me bidding on  anything, but nice to look anyway.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

There isn't a gobsmacked button.

Last Mk.4 I saw (and photographed as they were already rare then) in the wild, as opposed to car shows, was back in 1987.

An old mate of mine had two, well a Zephyr 6 and later a Zodiac Executive; massive cars for the money which sounded wonderful.

There used to be an Estate parked in someone's front garden in Camberley, but it disappeared some years ago.  It looked pretty rough but hopefully someone was able to save such a rare beast.

• Like 2

Back in the late 60's my mates dad had a Mk3 Zodiac - took us up to Blackpool for fish & chips on sunny summer Sunday afternoons occasionally - a flyer on the M6, but not quite as fast or comfortable as my Dads split screen Mk 7 Jag.

Happy days.

Brit15

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, alastairq said:

They've been made this century, 'tis all....

This is not the thread to extol current car virtues, I know, but Sherry's 3 cyl, 1-litre turbo, 100 bhp Fiesta, with 6-speed auto, is an absolute delight to drive. I wonder when you last drove a modern Ford - or indeed other contemporary makes?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2