The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jcredfer said:

AKA the Fastest Breadvans in the World.....  

I watched one at Brands Hatch, {BOAC 5,000 series??} having a ding with a 7 litre yank job [Lola, someone will know better].  Round the bends, which involved most of the course, the Lotus came out streets ahead, every time.  Only to be put back behind again down the finishing straight...   round again, same result.  

Julian

We had the same issue with the Ford Galaxies when we raced a Mini (Riley Elf) in special saloons, they ate us on the straights and we popped them on every bend.......bloody hairy racing that was!

• Like 6

Interesting vehicle seen yesterday while driving so no photo I'm afraid.

Saw two fellas having a conversation over the back of a pick up truck, probably social distancing. 

As I passed I thought the truck looked a bit 'unusual', looking at the front it was a Standard Vanguard. No idea if there were ever pickups made but if it's a modified one but certainly different.

Edited by great central
Missing word
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great central said:

Interesting vehicle seen yesterday while driving so no photo I'm afraid.

Saw two fellas having a conversation over the back of a pick up truck, probably social distancing. 

As I passed I thought the truck looked a bit 'unusual', looking at the front it was a Standard Vanguard. No idea if there were ever pickups made but if it's a modified one but certainly different.

There were van and pick-up versions of the Vanguard produced (and an estate car). Many were used by the RAF and used overseas in places such as Malta and Cyprus.

image.png.f7097485d5ae5fc78b4759d1e79e8f72.png

Series I.

image.png.d4baedbd17b7a11756e4235a801b6d04.png

In RAF service.

image.png.9eaddbab1991f6cacec263936644fe97.png

Series III with longer bed.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Talking of pick ups, I spotted this fairly rare thing on eBay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1961-Austin-Morris-J4-pickup-stored-decades-original-reg-catering-conversion/154031985702

Mike.

My brother worked a a builder's merchant, for a while and they had one of these.  They always made sure there was some form of weight at the rear of the cargo bay, otherwise a slightly rapid application of the brakes would have the rear end {like the pun there??} launch into the air, with little chance to influence where it might descend again!!

Julian

• Like 2

I've just started watching an Italian crime drama from 2008-2010 called 'Romanzo Criminale' which is stuffed to the gunnels with period vehicles, it starts off in 1977 and moves on to the '80s and early '90s, but in the first three episodes alone there are loads and loads of '60s and '70s Alfas, Fiats, Lancias, BMWs, Porsches, Citroens and Renaults, plus numerous trucks and vans in the background, one of the main characters tools about in a very nice Innocenti Mini Cooper.... the Italian production companies don't do things by halves....

ROM ._SL1500_.jpg

ROM 400.jpg

ROM 3816c5.jpg

ROM i059274.jpg

ROM i695734.jpg

ROM i695832.jpg

ROM i695841.jpg

ROM i697743 (1).jpg

ROM maxresdefault.jpg

ROM maxresdefaultGG.jpg

ROM romanzo_criminale_2_16_fabio_marras.jpg

ROM romanzo-criminale-sky-atlantic.png

ROM romanzo-criminale-914.jpg

• Like 12

16 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Yes, from the 1920s I think, when they were, for a while, using horizontal grille slats.

I believe the slats could have their angle altered from fully open to closed according to the cooling needed for the engine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

My brother worked a a builder's merchant, for a while and they had one of these.  They always made sure there was some form of weight at the rear of the cargo bay, otherwise a slightly rapid application of the brakes would have the rear end {like the pun there??} launch into the air, with little chance to influence where it might descend again!!

Julian

Wasn't just the J4 pick up Julian, the van version was also capable of such things. I knew a colleague at the gas board who, on seeing the house address he needed, slammed all on, and then wondered why when he had stopped he was still at a somewhat jaunty angle. Getting out to survey the scene he found a mini driven by a somewhat inattentive lady securely wedged under the van.

Mike.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Next stage on the assembly line is the rust insertion dip........;)

It was alleged at the time that the rust was already alive and well in the Polish steel used by Lancia (I had two) and others...........

• Agree 4

I purchased a new Lancia Beta Coupe when they first arrived in the UK. Oh dear! The rust resulted in a respray with the car not even six months old. Ther most endearing quality was the clock which always ran backwards!

Guess what I sold to buy it...yep..my V12 E type with 27000 miles on the clock.  Silly silly boy.

A very sad Craig.

• Friendly/supportive 6