The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

23 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Emptying the ash tray maybe....? ;)

I saw an Allegro last week, bonnet up by the side of the road on the A45 near the Baginton diveunder, a white one on an 'S' plate, I hope he managed to get going again.

Clearly completely original or a very authentic restoration :jester:.

• Funny 4

No worse than more modern BMWs for automatically raising their bonnets when parked at the side of the road?

Some years ago, I ended up negotiating the  North York Moors during what turned out to be a very wintry blizzardly storm at night.

From Grosmont, via all the normal routes to get back to Driffield. ended up using the coastal road in the Scarborough direction, then across to Pickering & Malton, as everything else was blocked [by stuck motorcars]..

Son&Heir, in the back, took to counting all the broken down cars, by make...and all the ditch-bottom or hedge-bottom cars by make.

Discovered that, without exception, all the bonnet-up-by-side-of-road cars were made by BMW.

All the ditch/hedge-bottom cars were made by Audi.

No other makes got a look-in, for either criteria.

Bet the North York Moors looked very pretty from space that night..all those red lights blinking away, all those Germanic hazard lights flickering...many a Germanic headlight gazing skywards...

My car at the time? A rather old Volvo 740 estate.....with a working heater.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

On 12/09/2020 at 20:10, alastairq said:

No worse than more modern BMWs for automatically raising their bonnets when parked at the side of the road?

Some years ago, I ended up negotiating the  North York Moors during what turned out to be a very wintry blizzardly storm at night.

From Grosmont, via all the normal routes to get back to Driffield. ended up using the coastal road in the Scarborough direction, then across to Pickering & Malton, as everything else was blocked [by stuck motorcars]..

Son&Heir, in the back, took to counting all the broken down cars, by make...and all the ditch-bottom or hedge-bottom cars by make.

Discovered that, without exception, all the bonnet-up-by-side-of-road cars were made by BMW.

All the ditch/hedge-bottom cars were made by Audi.

No other makes got a look-in, for either criteria.

Bet the North York Moors looked very pretty from space that night..all those red lights blinking away, all those Germanic hazard lights flickering...many a Germanic headlight gazing skywards...

My car at the time? A rather old Volvo 740 estate.....with a working heater.

Speaking of one-make disasters, I'm reminded of one of my father's tales from when he was navigating in club rallies in the early 1950s. At one particular event, shortly after the first Triumph TR2s became available, all the affluent flash gits with the necessary money and contacts turned up in one. Dad and his mate were, as usual, in said mate's uncle's upright sidevalve Ford. As the event progressed, it seemed that every ditch, hedge, wall or patch of roadside undergrowth in northern England became temporary home to a gently steaming TR2. Only one of the TRs finished, the crew having been so unnerved by the minor carnage that they'd given up all pretence at timekeeping and tiptoed around the route at a relative snails pace. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, PatB said:

Speaking of one-make disasters, I'm reminded of one of my father's tales from when he was navigating in club rallies in the early 1950s. At one particular event, shortly after the first Triumph TR2s became available, all the affluent flash gits with the necessary money and contacts turned up in one. Dad and his mate were, as usual, in said mate's uncle's upright sidevalve Ford. As the event progressed, it seemed that every ditch, hedge, wall or patch of roadside undergrowth in northern England became temporary home to a gently steaming TR2. Only one of the TRs finished, the crew having been so unnerved by the minor carnage that they'd given up all pretence at timekeeping and tiptoed around the route at a relative snails pace. 

Not for nothing were the TR2/3/3As known as Wasp Tail, a description which matched the shape of the rear and the behaviour of the rear end, when cornering under power.

Julian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Not for nothing were the TR2/3/3As known as Wasp Tail, a description which matched the shape of the rear and the behaviour of the rear end, when cornering under power.

Julian

I thought the 3A was better with the newer rear suspension?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I thought the 3A was better with the newer rear suspension?

I believe that's quite correct.....    it's also quicker, too.  Which rather begs the question as to which Wasp to be stung by......   

Despite my comment, I still rate any of them as wonderful  fun sports cars, which very few have beaten for enjoyment.

Julian

• Like 2

On 10/09/2020 at 20:17, steve1 said:

Is her Elan still extant? The DVLA site has gone bosoms up at the moment.

Thanks

steve

I understand that the silvery blue elan does still exist and am fairly sure it changed hands at auction some years ago. Equally I recall reading that the whereabouts of the white car remains unknown.

The Elan, in Sprint form, would be near the top of my list of favourites to buy, if I ever had the money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a short documentary on Talking Pictures 6:30pm Mon 21Sep - Around the world in 21 days.

It says it's a 1950's film using an Austin A40 but isn't specific about the date so it could be the Somerset/Devon type or the late 50's model.  We shall see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1