The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, russ p said:

With old cars it all becomes a bit muddy. With this I wouldn't think the dvla would be involved. 

They would however if it was to be registered as a new vehicle and then I would think it would need to meet modern emissions standards etc

Although this is basically a new car its still a restoration 

It's covered by the same set of rules that deal with heavily modified cars - the so called 8-point rule, whereby the car has to have at least 8 points in order to still count as the same car (and therefore not need to be re-registered on a Q plate), where 5 points come from the original chassis or bodyshell, 2 from the engine, etc. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Kickstart said:

Bit more for the later shells, and £12500 for the mk1 shell!

All the best

Katy

So at a guess maybe £25K for a completed car? £10K labour and £2.5K for powertrain sourced and rebuild and running gear, and maybe £5K contingency?

Not necessarily with an original Cooper reg/shell though obviously that would be much more at a guess, but you might end up with a “brand new” Mini Cooper replica which would be than enough fun.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

That Meteor has such simple, classic styling. No fussiness.

It might make a decent barbecue table, but might need the suspension beefing up a bit, to stop the plates from sliding orf.  Wide enough for keeping social distancing, too.

Julian 

• Funny 2

I was more intrigued why the photo was "quoted" two posts on the trot straight after the original, surely it would have been easier just to comment, or at least delete the photo and leave the text so we knew what they were commenting on! Hard luck for anyone with slow internet...

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I was more intrigued why the photo was "quoted" two posts on the trot straight after the original, surely it would have been easier just to comment, or at least delete the photo and leave the text so we knew what they were commenting on! Hard luck for anyone with slow internet...

I have been "scolded" a time or two for not leaving the picture, because it can cause readers to have to scroll back, should they have opened my post, without having gone through previous posts.  You win some.....

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Dream on. Throughout RMweb I find huge posts full of multiple pics being quoted in their entirety, with the addition of "This is really good" or similar. 

We've had a thread on this very subject which fell on extremely deaf ears!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

We've had a thread on this very subject which fell on extremely deaf ears!

Mike

Laziness, use of phones (why? why?) to look at things, which make editing very difficult, and someone else is paying for the storage. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Laziness, use of phones (why? why?) to look at things, which make editing very difficult, and someone else is paying for the storage. 

Another forum I use must have a slightly different set up when quotes are used, the images are not repeated, just the text, maybe that would be the answer for everyone?

Of course it’s down to the site owner and whether the software used allows it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Another forum I use must have a slightly different set up when quotes are used, the images are not repeated, just the text, maybe that would be the answer for everyone?

Of course it’s down to the site owner and whether the software used allows it.

Eminently sensible, not least in view of the recent outage where Andy was scrambling to find more storage space. But one of his goals in setting this place up was the ability to embed pics in posts, so software that discarded them in quotes hasn't been one of his objectives, I suspect. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Quoting images shouldn’t use any meaningful extra storage, and if displayed twice on the same page no extra bandwidth (Should only fetch the image once, and hopefully cached even when used on another page).

But it does slow down scrolling, etc

All the best

Katy

• Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, alastairq said:

I counted a definite two, if not three, dagenham dustbins in that photo....

Two 400E Thames vans, one a chassis cab, the smaller 307E Thames (Anglia) van, 105E Anglia, Mk.1 Cortina (behind the Imp, RH side) and, a bit further back, a Mk.2 Consul or Zephyr, but I would say more Rootes & BMC cars.

The vinyl roof on the Victor 101 (FC) is unusual at this date, though two tone colours with a contrasting roof and boot was common.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Is there a date and location for that fine photo....? Somewhere up the north a very long time ago....?

Accrington Viaduct 1964....the site of the “new” Arndale Centre now........it’s in the pictures details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Is there a date and location for that fine photo....? Somewhere up the north a very long time ago....?

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Accrington Viaduct 1964....the site of the “new” Arndale Centre now........it’s in the pictures details.

I was going to say about 1965 going by the lack of Transit vans.

10 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Two 400E Thames vans, one a chassis cab, the smaller 307E Thames (Anglia) van, 105E Anglia, Mk.1 Cortina (behind the Imp, RH side) and, a bit further back, a Mk.2 Consul or Zephyr, but I would say more Rootes & BMC cars.

The vinyl roof on the Victor 101 (FC) is unusual at this date, though two tone colours with a contrasting roof and boot was common.

I didn't notice the vinyl roof. Would that make it a VX4/90? A beast so rare that, even as a car mad kid, I don't think I ever saw one. The FB version, yes, but never an FC. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had an FD Victor, the boot was enormous. The engine was very good when it was running properly and quite powerful. Although only 1600 cc the car was quite capable of a recorded 100 mph. It was a mechanics nightmare though, even changing the spark plugs was difficult.

• Like 4