The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

It's open now but you have to buy a "time slot" ticket.

Only partially open.   The trams are not running.   Some of the shops and houses are closed.

My son works there and is still on furlough,  unable to work there until at least October.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was a Reliant Robin fitted with a V8.

And an Isetta

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/this-v8-has-a-bmw-isetta-attached-to-it-87650.html

Years ago, there was something of a fad for hanging anything and everything off a VW transaxle, primarily for the kit car market. Even at my youthful age at the time I thought it might be unwise to place the immense weight of a Ford Essex V6 behind the rear axle of a VW floor pan clad in swoopy fibreglass. The relatively light air-cooled boxer was, after all, pushing it a bit anyway. 

I do remember an article in Hot Car on a Beetle (1302 IIRC) with a Rover lump up its chuff, but otherwise pretty much standard. The bloke penning the article appeared in subsequent issues, so presumably the thing didn't actually kill him. 

• Like 3

You may have seen or heard recently that the restored Mk 2 Capri from the opening titles of "Minder" was involved in what might be termed a "thermal incident".

Here's what happened next:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 5 C said:

You may have seen or heard recently that the restored Mk 2 Capri from the opening titles of "Minder" was involved in what might be termed a "thermal incident".

We always called them Thermal Events.........much less traumatic on paper if not for the vehicle! :whistle:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I like the cooling holes in the drum brakes........racing with drum brakes.......them woz real men :lol:

Those are 12' Drums, too.  I had one of these delightful MGs, also converted to 12" Hydraulic Drums - thank goodness!!  At thirty two years old when I bought it, the original brakes were 7" cable operated, with a couple of Y yokes for application to balanced pressures.  Fun times, with a 3ft 6in wide, motorised roller skate, in Devon lanes - good driving lessons, well remembered.

Julian

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 5 C said:

I was cringing watching that every time he got close to touching burnt bits with his bare hands - many of the rubbers and plastics used in cars produce some seriously nasty chemicals when burnt, including acids that will happily dissolve flesh.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The Bedford VAL chassis was definitely a mistake.

Not by the number you used to see about. The reason for the two front axles was that for a large heavy coach the Bedford brakes were inadequate and with the heavy engine ahead of the front axle(s) causing handling problems under braking it was decided to fit an extra axle. This effectively solved both problems. The extra brake area solved the first problem and the first axle supported the weight of the engine.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I was cringing watching that every time he got close to touching burnt bits with his bare hands - many of the rubbers and plastics used in cars produce some seriously nasty chemicals when burnt, including acids that will happily dissolve flesh.

Absolutely, Hydroflouric Acid......very nasty acid from Viton synthetic rubbers mainly, it’ll gradually burn your skin and make its way to the bones within.......whenever we had a “thermal event” vehicle come into the workshop it was locked away and only investigated by PPE (as is popular to call it now :rolleyes:) covered peeps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Nick C said:

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Absolutely, Hydroflouric Acid......very nasty acid from Viton synthetic rubbers mainly, it’ll gradually burn your skin and make its way to the bones within.......whenever we had a “thermal event” vehicle come into the workshop it was locked away and only investigated by PPE (as is popular to call it now :rolleyes:) covered peeps.

I'm pretty sure they would have removed  or neutralised anything like that before he was allowed anywhere near the car. Did he touch anything under the bonnet or inside the car?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not by the number you used to see about. The reason for the two front axles was that for a large heavy coach the Bedford brakes were inadequate and with the heavy engine ahead of the front axle(s) causing handling problems under braking it was decided to fit an extra axle. This effectively solved both problems. The extra brake area solved the first problem and the first axle supported the weight of the engine.

I meant that it was a mistake for FAB 1. For coaches, it was no doubt a good idea. I don't recall seeing that many of them about but Epsom Coaches (H.R. Richmond) Bookham depot did have a bus-bodied one that was my transport home one day a week.

• Like 2