The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Surely it’s a model made by Pinin or Masser for display or exhibition?  It looks so well made, that bodywork must have been a nightmare.

What came to mind was back in the 60’s I used to see in the window of Beatties in London very large scale model cars made of metal, wood, plastic, leather (seats) and rubber, I think they were an Italian maker with a name like Polk or Polti, something like that......and bells?

Pocher? 

http://www.scaleautoworks.com/Pocherproductionlist.htm

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

That’s them, as soon as I read it....yes!

Well done.

Blimey there are some tasty beasts in that list, can't see the Maser though.

Regarding your other reply about the current state of Maserati - they've always had their ups and downs but the current range is pretty much in response to what most customers want, the sales figures aren't exactly through the roof compared to other firms but the Ghibli (both the petrol and diesel) and the Levanta are very popular. The current Quattroporte (the sixth incarnation) isn't as nice looking as the previous one, it's bigger and the lines don't flow like the previous version but I think the Ghibli is a great looking car (a hybrid version is now in the works). They desperately need a replacement for the Grantursimo coupe though.

I'm half way through reading a couple of books on Maser history, one on the Citroen years (1968 - 75) and another by one of the engineers who started working there in 1951, the ins and outs and ups and downs of it all would make a great film or multi-part TV series, lots of drama, lots of u-turns, people falling out with each other, numerous crippling strikes and internal battles with the Communist Party, yet somehow they managed to produce some of the best cars ever made anywhere in the world. A lot of people look on the De Tomaso era of Maserati with disdain but in period the Biturbos, the Ghibli, the Shamal and the Quattroporte IV were all well received with high praise for their speed and comfort, the build quality took a while to get right but by the time they'd got it sorted out FIAT took over. If De Tomaso hadn't stepped in back in '75 the company wouldn't exist today...!

I'd still love an Indy one day, despite it's cart sprung rear end it's still quite a sophisticated bit of kit to waft around in, it's a big car too and wouldn't feel Bulleid in modern traffic....

22770890_1840294569332653_7092288865595021160_o.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

maserati-a6g-cs-1947-53.jpghttps://www.supercars.net/blog/1947-maserati-a6gcs/maserati-a6g-cs-1947-53/

Maserati obviously didn't believe in giving their owners supre bright headlights, with which to dazzle all oncoming lesser mortals.....????

I first saw one of these in a 1960's slot car magazine [leastwise, i think that was its title...I believe, a MAP publication of the time?]

Good for planing one's left elbow, too?

What a machine!

But, at least it has mudguards....unlike many of today's wannabe rods and stuffs, who flout the law-of-the-land so blatantly?

• Like 6

Another gem from the Maserati archive, one of the A6Gs styled by Frua, the stripe on the bonnet is dark blue....

Here in Oz we have fencing based on that grille, it's called 'Ringlock'...!!

Cheers,

Peter C.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

I first saw one of these in a 1960's slot car magazine [leastwise, i think that was its title...I believe, a MAP publication of the time?]

Would it have been the imaginatively named Model Cars?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Would it have been the imaginatively named Model Cars?

THAT's the one........slipped my mind, as things do these days...but I certainly could visualise the covers....Thanks.....long live senior moments...

• Like 1

A case of taking the construction & Use regulations a bit too literally?

I know of an ''apparently'' road legal midget racer owner who is convinced he doesn't need all his lights [just brake, tail and side] providing he only uses the vehicle in daylight? Not fitted with mudguards either...

Much also depends on when the vehicle was first registered..as to what bots 'n' bobs it needs to comply?  Doesn't probably include MGBs?

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 2

I believe there was a certain date where the law changed?

I know things changed for cyclists too but in the use of reflectors. I have a a few older bicycles where I am legally allowed to ride them on the road with just the one red rear reflector and a singlw red rear light and a single red front light. The law back then complied to filament bulbs, but one of my bikes does have a dynamo light system which was legal and still is as it is on my older bike, to only be lit when in motion. 

Todays bikes have to have a front, rear, spoke and pedal reflectors along with lights to be legally ridden at night. 

Bicycle lights here in the UK have strange regulations which are based on city cycling but are useless to cyclists who ride in areas where there are no streetlamps. For example, the front light has to have a beam which has to direct light in all directions including a portion which must shine towards ones face so one can visually see that ones front light is working, but the only directions in the regulations where it does not specifically have to shine is directly forward, and directly backwards. It was a wierd regulation which caused many of us to need to either paint the top of our lights lens or apply tape over the top so when we were cycling in non streetlit areas, we could actually see where we were going.

Certain things one learns through experience. I once fixed one of those flags which stick about 18 inches out the side of the rear carrier which had a reflector on it. It was designed to allow one to have some room when cars passed. 

However, no sooner had I fitted the plastic device, every other car that passed came right by my legs! 

I took it off, and cars passed giving me room again!

It is surprizing how many motorists passing bicycles pass without crossing into the opposite lane. Now I fully appreciate as I am both a driver and a cyclist, the difficulties experienced when driving or riding both means of transport, and there are times in a car when one comes round a corner on a hill and meets a cyclist who is doing all he or she can to slowly get up the hill, and as a motorist who did not see the tucked in cyclist until the last second,  as the cyclist would be more visual if they were out a bot from the edge of the road, may be faced with a dilemma, especially if the motorist is faced with a car tailgating them!, and the motorist has to pass fairly close to avoid an accident. 

Most of us cyclists realize this as there are times when this happens, and for us, the tailgators tailgating other cars through teaffic is where I have personally had the closest shaves with... Along with the modern traffic calming measures which have made things many times more dangerous foe cyclists who have to use the roads, as thwy have narrowed the roads and placed traffic islands every so often... So cyxlists get motorists cytting them off trying to overtake on small gaps... If they left the roads as they were thwy would be far safer for us all! And not only that, the old curbs which used to vave a curves edge to them now have a 90 degree edge to them since the traffic calming measures have come in so if one comes off onto these new curbs it is serious even if one is wearing a helmet as a 90 degree anglw on the curb will split straight through a helmet ina fraction of a second. Who in their right mind designs these dangerous traffic calming roads? They may keep speeds lower, but they are deadly for cyclists! 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, alastairq said:

A case of taking the construction & Use regulations a bit too literally?

I know of an ''apparently'' road legal midget racer owner who is convinced he doesn't need all his lights [just brake, tail and side] providing he only uses the vehicle in daylight? Not fitted with mudguards either...

Much also depends on when the vehicle was first registered..as to what bots 'n' bobs it needs to comply?  Doesn't probably include MGBs?

I'm pretty sure I remember a time when there was such a thing as a "Daylight Only" MoT, allowing for vehicles with minimal lighting systems. IIRC, on motorcycles only a brake light was required.

However, that was back in the relatively free and easy 1980s, so I wouldn't be surprised if things have tightened up a bit now.

I don't think there was ever a time when no mudguards was legal on anything other than agricultural vehicles though. Even Raymond Mays had to stick a set of temporary fabric ones on when testing ERAs on public roads in the 1930s.

• Informative/Useful 2

Seen in local garage. Bentley S3 Continental. Owner is selling according to garage owner. Sat in it but think I'll pass this time. :D

steve

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

Edited by steve1
Extra image
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, steve1 said:

15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Cant see anything as the picture is too large for the screen.

2 hours ago, steve1 said:

What are viewing it on? I can see it fine on my iPad and, if I turn it to landscape, on my phone. You need to scroll down a bit.

steve

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

It’s no good in my iPad either......

Its a question of size settings. On my lap top only a tiny portion of the picture fills the whole screen.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Chinese Eye model?? [Cannot really see ]

Looks like it, at first I thought it was just the single headlamp model but looking closer appears to have twin 5 3/4” lamps

D2AE51C2-360B-4165-AF8F-69E990768048.jpeg.2aaca5ab405afe60d92cee3fe08fc809.jpeg
surely is a thing of beauty.....

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2