The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I've clicked "Like" but can't believe I've done that for an image of a Hillman Hunter.....

Weren't the warmed versions known as Holbay Hunters after the manufacturer of the special carbs?  Just consulted Wikipedia; yes).

Hunters were not bad cars, but I admit I was more of an Avenger fan.

• Like 2

A few more examples of '60s American chic, the big corporates really were trying to get down with the kids (man), even Chevrolet and Ford got in on it with some early Camaros and at least one '67 Mustang having the 'Mod Top' vinyl treatment....

MOD TOP CAMARO 1967 6910497.jpg

MOD TOP CAMARO bf2b89.jpg

MOD TOP CAMARO download.jpg

MOD TOP chevrolet-camaro-1967-floral-mod-top-by-barris_163786167.jpg

MOD TOP GBARRIS CAMARO.JPG

MOD TOP MUSTANG 1967_00111_10.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I've clicked "Like" but can't believe I've done that for an image of a Hillman Hunter.....

Weren't the warmed versions known as Holbay Hunters after the manufacturer of the special carbs?  Just consulted Wikipedia; yes).

Yes, Holbay did the tuning parts to give the Hunter more performance.  I remember reading about the Holbay Hunter in a copy of Practical Classics magazine about thirty years ago and can still recall the summary sentence along the lines of; the car had the heart of a 20-year old football player but the body of a 50-year old darts player.

Funny what you can recall from so long ago.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a Holbay H120 Sunbeam Rapier, could easily see off any Ford up to 2litre, and bigger ones if a bend was involved, primarily by my use of Goodyear white lettered tyres, not Eagles can't remember what was actually written on them, replacing head gaskets was a regular occurrence ISTR, although having the head skimmed fairly regularly didn't do the power output any harm and I had a mate who was into rallying and he could set the Webers up nicely too.

Mike.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Far too skinny. need a good meal or two!

I've seen smaller Vans.....   :) 

Reminds me of the old saying...

A bird in the hand is worth two {? Only two??} in the bush.

Julian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/05/2020 at 11:45, Northmoor said:

Yes they had twin twin choke carbs.  Lincolnshire Police had a couple as Traffic Patrol cars in the Skegness Division.  I never drove them but talking to the lads (and lasses) who did they were stupidly quick while they were in tune which due to the fitters we employed wasn't very long!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I wonder if they had to slide her to the end of the spoiler to get her off?

Mike.

As I recall getting them off at that age was relatively easy........:angel:

:rofl:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Panty girdles were a bit more diffcult. ;) And no I didn't wear one.

If the ones you went out with at that age needed pantie girdles you were picking the wrong ones :lol:

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

If the ones you went out with at that age needed pantie girdles you were picking the wrong ones :lol:

The girls Phil went out with were obviously made to wear them by their parents as an insurance policy against "Phil the philanderer" !

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

You were all lucky.  Girls I knew were generally keen to just give me advice, almost invariably on Sex and Travel.

• Funny 5