The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

2 minutes ago, peanuts said:

and the muira apparently 

I believe the Muira that went into the tunnel may well still be around.

The one that came out the other end definitely isn't - it was the remains of one which had been written off in an accident some time previously and was bought by the film company. There's not much left of it by the time it hits the water!

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Even the two E-Types wrecked by the 'Mafia' in The Italian Job are still with us...

I'm pretty sure the cars thrown off the cliff were just empty shells - You can particularly tell with the Aston as the bonnet opens the wrong way!

They were also used later on in the filming for crew use. Legend has it that, when filming the scene where the minis leap off the roof of the FIAT factory, one of the fast cars was sitting behind the producer, with the engine running and the door open, so that if the stunt went wrong and anyone was killed, he could be out of the country before the police arrived, as under Italian law at the time, he'd have been liable...

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

I'm pretty sure the cars thrown off the cliff were just empty shells - You can particularly tell with the Aston as the bonnet opens the wrong way!

They were also used later on in the filming for crew use. Legend has it that, when filming the scene where the minis leap off the roof of the FIAT factory, one of the fast cars was sitting behind the producer, with the engine running and the door open, so that if the stunt went wrong and anyone was killed, he could be out of the country before the police arrived, as under Italian law at the time, he'd have been liable...

The Miura (chassis number 3586) which was driven into the tunnel by the Lamborghini factory test driver still exists and has been featured quite extensively in several magazines since it was confirmed by the factory that it is definitely the car used in the film. The other damaged Miura was loaned to the production company by the factory (and not sold to them), it had been crashed by its first owner and returned to the factory to be rebuilt but was loaned to the film crew for two days, minus its engine, unfortunately when it was pushed down the ravine it was left at the bottom overnight and when the crew returned to retrieve it the following morning the remains had been stolen by persons unknown.

The producer Michael Deeley was indeed ready to skip the country if the rooftop stunt went wrong, he also had a private aircraft waiting to take him back to Heathrow.

The 'Aston' which was tipped over the cliff by the digger was actually a hastily tarted up and modified Lancia Flamina GT convertible, it was found locally by one of the film technicians after the first attempt at filming the stunt went wrong using another Aston DB4, unfortunately he had set off the explosion too early for the camera to capture it properly so some quick thinking was needed, hence the use of the bodged up Lancia., which was bought from a local garage.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

This working from home business has allowed me to catch up with TV heaven.  Scheduling my lunch break with daily episodes of The Professionals and The Sweeney; star car today was a Zodiac Executive (a mate of mine used to have one, a glorious barge).

I watched The Great St.Trinians Train Robbery at the weekend as well.  Quite apart from the extended scenes on the LMR (some locations very familiar, I used to drive through Bordon to the A3 daily), some of the cars were lovely; George Cole driving a Sunbeam Alpine with a bunch of far-too-old-to-be-real schoolgirls......

• Like 3

seen this motoring about stalybridge a few times not been able to grab a pic .finnaly found it parked up near a friends house not in the best of condition think they call it the patina look but a magnificent  looking old barge all the same 

20200424_132528.jpg

• Like 10

A nice series of videos (recently filmed by the look of it) on recommissioning a 1976 Mark 1 Ford Granada for one last ride. There's a rather touching story behind it. The condition is quite remarkable - particularly the interior.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Crystal Palace was a nice circuit, problem we had with it in our Riley Elf Special saloon was getting around the Galaxies under braking at the corners and then staying out of their way on the straights.....not much width at the Palace.

• Like 4

Saw this in Skegness earlier, it makes a proper mini look huge!

Must be something about Skegness, I photographed a Hillman Imp in the same place a while back and a mini pick-up on the road outside the station last year.

IMG_20200505_111255395.jpg.25da152f8c1b1cacadc5454faaff68d4.jpg

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, great central said:

Eh?

Mini: 120 x 55 x 53 (length/width/height)

126: 120 x 54 x 51

Pretty much the same! 

Edited by Hobby
  • Informative/Useful 3

Great wee cars they are....I have one sat rusting away on my drive whilst I eventually get around to welding it up..spares can be dirt cheap.....complete floor pan, including set runners, all cross members, etc.can be had off Polish online auction site for around 140 pension-quids delivered...Cheaper sections can also be had....

I like them....mine's a Bis..even has a competition history....I bought some cheap wings and rear panels and stuff years ago..still available from Czech, still cheap too...

I wouldn;t mind the Steyr version of the 126? That had a flat twin engine.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

My first car.   Marvellous thing once you got used to its quirks.   You can get 7 people in one as well, though it's not recommended on a long journey.

I once had a terrifying journey in one between Guisborough and ayton when the lad driving set the hand throttle to full and left it like that good job they weren't that fast but pinchingthope bends and newton bridge were very scary! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, great central said:

Must be something about Skegness, I photographed a Hillman Imp in the same place a while back and a mini pick-up on the road outside the station last year.

IMG_20200505_111255395.jpg.25da152f8c1b1cacadc5454faaff68d4.jpg

The only car I ever made money on. A colleague sold me hers for £50. It had failed the MOT on it's Flintstone floor pan and a quote for repairs had four numbers. The plan was to create a mini dune buggy but when my wife saw it she fell in love. Given that it looked immaculate and the sills were perfect, her brother and I had our work cut out. I fabricated two new floor plans and he welded them in.  The Wheeler Dealer bottom line: car £50, gas ( no mig at that time,) £30 steel £15 and £5 for a big tin of yellow smoothrite. 

Wife loved it, kids hated it, l was impressed, we ran it for a year and sold it on for £400.

• Like 8

Funniest thing I saw regarding these little Fiats was seeing one of our main layers, a 6ft 2 guy and very round driving into the yard with his two other lads one sunny day, roof open and his head stuck out whilst driving - he sailed past me and the bosses with laughter all round - next time Bob, buy a front loader (washing machine) I quipped. !!!

R.I.P. Bob.

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Eh?

Mini: 120 x 55 x 53 (length/width/height)

126: 120 x 54 x 51

Pretty much the same! 

1 hour ago, great central said:

Probably due to the styling, mini has longer flatter roof line perhaps?

Unless he means one of those BMW monstrosities.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, big jim said:

careful now! 

If rovers original new generation mini had made production with k series and before anyone starts screaming head gasket its actually no worse than most fiats of the time and has been sorted completely now. Then there would have been some bloodline shared with the  original as Issigonis first came up with the engine architecture of the engine.  I would have probably had one now but unfortunately no matter how good or not they may be the sum up what BMW did to rover . With hindsight such a shame they couldn't have been left with BAe and Honda 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

We have to be careful Stewart with our 75/ZTs a little bit too much BMW for me but not a bad car other than a bit of a lethargic diesel even with a remap 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1