The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Madness!

I'de like to see a picture of the engine installed in it. By the looks of the cabin interior its mounted traversely in the passenger footwell and using the motorcycle gearbox. Chain drive perhaps?

14 minutes ago, big jim said:

I can’t find too much info On line but it says in one article the engine is mounted about 6 inches lower than the engines original position 

That'll be, not quite between the drive's legs, then????   :)  :) 

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

By the looks of the cabin interior its mounted traversely in the passenger footwell and using the motorcycle gearbox. Chain drive perhaps?

I recall {!} a wallycross DAF [66?] coupe, converted to 4wd, having the engine in the passenger seat, more or less, driving the DAF laggyband gearbox, whose driveshafts then went fore & aft....powering the wheels via a final drive [diffs}  6000 rpm everywhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I can’t find too much info On line but it says in one article the engine is mounted about 6 inches lower than the engines original position 

Looks like everything is at least 6 inches lower than before! ;)

• Agree 1

On 07/04/2020 at 09:48, russ p said:

Did you  notice if it was diesel or petrol I'm desperate for a diesel tank?

Went back there today Russ,can't tell if it's diesel or petrol I'm afraid but took a pic of the other side.

if your interested in enquiring about it you need to contact Minstergate Hyundai in Hessle,I did know one of their parts guys there but not sure he's still there and with what's going on their also currently closed.

Rob

20200408_154938.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob , I think its or was petrol as the engine seems to be on the drivers seat! 

I might give them a ring when things get back to normal 

Thanks for taking the pictures 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Found this yesterday while looking for something else - somewhere in London in the '80s....

PH LONDON 80simage.jpg

Never mind the Maestro van, that's a very nice Yamaha RD on his near-side.  Can't see the sidepanel or the front wheel to tell which model though (125, 200, 250 or 350).  One in that condition would be worth thousands now.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Lune Street, Preston in the '60s...

PH PRESTON LUNE ST.jpg

I'm not sure that is Lune Street, I think it's Ringway (under construction) looking west.  The road running left-right is Friargate, the half timbered building is a secondhand bookshop (or it was last time I was in Preston).  The building in the centre of the picture with the tower & dome is the Corn Exchange.  Ringway passes that on the right, Lune Street is to the left of the Corn Exchange and runs uphill to Fishergate.

Moxy (exiled Prestonian!)

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Found this yesterday while looking for something else - somewhere in London in the '80s....

PH LONDON 80simage.jpg

Unusual colour a very early one as no side repeated will probably have the early black grille and mk1dash shame about the lamp post ,  driver looks a bit menacing 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, russ p said:

Unusual colour a very early one as no side repeated will probably have the early black grille and mk1dash shame about the lamp post ,  driver looks a bit menacing 

Quite a few RDs were silver.

• Like 2

Wonder if the picture of the brown Maestro van is from a film.

The colours and lack of grain look more like a digital image.

Not sure when that PG Tips advertising was in use on the buses

And yes please for the RD

All the best

Katy

Edited by Kickstart
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Never mind the Maestro van, that's a very nice Yamaha RD on his near-side.  Can't see the sidepanel or the front wheel to tell which model though (125, 200, 250 or 350).  One in that condition would be worth thousands now.

By the shape of the tank, it's a 250/400 but would appear to have an earlier front mudguard fitted as the coffin tank RD's had no stays.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

this popped into my face ache feed if anybody's looking 

This is the 420G the biggest Jag ever made it was last on the road in 2004 and has been sat dormant ever since , I was at first going to break it up for spares but with a few hours to spare I though i would see if it had any life left in it and it did , so 40 hours later after a new set of leads,plugs dis cap, battery, starter motor and a total tripple carb rebuild new gaskets, o rings, inlet manifold gasket rebuilt fuel pumps she runs well,no smoking no rattles, 40lbs oil pressure and she does drive well, today she had two new brake reservoirs and the cleaning up will still continue until its sold !

Leather is in good condition for 56 years old, electric windows work and i will fit another alternator and regulator, exhaust is good this is an easy car to restore as everything it there and working I have plenty of spares available if and when required

Jobs still need to be done , paintwork and one small hole on drivers floor front wheeI are scruffyI have a second car if spares are needed its really too good to break up only having done 48,553 miles from new and two owners 07368654494 if you want any details or to come and have a look I have a video of her running just ask I drove it today and the auto box is smooth and changes gear on time delivery can be arranged if required ask for Jack

+10

£7,500 · Horsham, England

1968 Jaguar 420G

sadly won't copy the ten pics 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Dad's Jaguar MkIX around 1964/5 at Clay Cross.  Mum driving.

014.jpg.5865087953bbe326da41e4ecdc83a3b9.jpg

David

In the 1967 film 'The Scorcerers' a young Ian Ogilvy drives one like a maniac round the streets of London , being chased by Boris Karloff...!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1