The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

3 minutes ago, russ p said:

The 2200 E series which was deleted on the ambassador didn't have one either which seemed odd to me as the E series in allegros and maxis had them as standard so if there was room for it on the 4cyl ones you would think the 6 pot 2200 would have room.

Apparently the reason the princess didn't have a hatchback was to protect sales of the maxi.

It would have meant a new 'box as the 4cyl one from the Maxi wouldn't have fitted (and had an awful reputation not in keeping with the Princess's market).

Regards the hatch, it wasn't to protect the Maxi but the soon to launched Rover SD1, the Maxi dibn't come into it...

"The truth was (as always) more disturbing. The Princess never received a hatchback because, as one senior insider at the time put it, ‘…I believe there was some politics about not conflicting with SD1. [A bit odd really, given that we’d had the Maxi since 1969, and ‘executive hatchbacks’ were still a bit daring.]"

https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/austin-morris/princess/

Rather handily it also shows the Crayford hatchback conversion!! 

• Like 2

I have to say that I wanted a hatchback on my Princess 2200, massive boot with a letterbox for a lid that you couldn't get a reasonable size suitcase in and very poor rear visibility.

I had the chance of, and bought, an Ambassador which addressed the problem of boot access and rear visibility, and with the back seats folded took two push bikes without stripping them down at all,  only this one had an awful weak knee'd 1.7 engine that struggled if you filled all the seats , let alone the boot.

My perfect "wedge" would have been the Ambassador body with the 2200 engine. At the time I didn't mind the poor MPG, it was a decent trade off for the comfort and smooth torque of the Princess, almost a poor mans "Roller".   

Edited by Phil Traxson
Poor English
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Incidentally the O series in these cars was quite different to later ones , the head was the opposite round for a start 

I can't find any mention of that anywhere, have you got a link showing it? I suspect the only difference would be the location of the gearbox compared to other FWD users of the engine, the Maestro/Montego using an end on gearbox rather than under the engine?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hobby said:

It would have meant a new 'box as the 4cyl one from the Maxi wouldn't have fitted (and had an awful reputation not in keeping with the Princess's market).

Regards the hatch, it wasn't to protect the Maxi but the soon to launched Rover SD1, the Maxi dibn't come into it...

"The truth was (as always) more disturbing. The Princess never received a hatchback because, as one senior insider at the time put it, ‘…I believe there was some politics about not conflicting with SD1. [A bit odd really, given that we’d had the Maxi since 1969, and ‘executive hatchbacks’ were still a bit daring.]"

https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/austin-morris/princess/

Rather handily it also shows the Crayford hatchback conversion!! 

I'd forgotten the SD1 but that was part of it too

They always had trouble selling the maxi really,  main problem was styling due to using ADO17 doors but for some reason  certain parts of Leyland management were protective over it in the mid 70s

The 2200 box was different from the 1800 , they all should have been five speed as although the maxi box wasn't great it proved they could make a five speed one

Incidentally don't know if it was intentional but a rover V8 will fit on the 1800 box, a couple of minis have used it

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hobby said:

I can't find any mention of that anywhere, have you got a link showing it? I suspect the only difference would be the location of the gearbox compared to other FWD users of the engine, the Maestro/Montego using an end on gearbox rather than under the engine?

Look at a picture of a princess engine then one of a montego and you I'll see the timing belt on opposite end but manifold at the rear

They did the same when the R series was turned into the S 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I don’t know who the lady in the “NOG” is, but she looks a bit embarrassed to be there :lol:

First picture also shows what a pig’s ear the face lift was, must be the ugliest “improvement” to a design ever!

• Like 2

Is that to do with the fuel injection version and the carb version? I can find plenty of photos of the EFi Monty but none of the carb version. The injected version definitely shows it the other way round but also different location of the points..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I don’t know who the lady in the “NOG” is, but she looks a bit embarrassed to be there :lol:

First picture also shows what a pig’s ear the face lift was, must be the ugliest “improvement” to a design ever!

Ha! I hadn't noticed that, she should have got out when she had the chance!!

I agree about the facelift!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Is that to do with the fuel injection version and the carb version? I can find plenty of photos of the EFi Monty but none of the carb version. The injected version definitely shows it the other way round but also different location of the points..

The carb version is the same just different manifolds. 

Im putting a new engine in my maestro and that was originally destined for a two litre carb montego but its only the manifolds that are different 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Hobby said:

Here's Noggin (the Nog!) at Coventry on a Princess Club outing in 2011, at the end you'll see an Ambassador! Noggin was (is?) a 2.2HLS Auto.

nkkgIqb.jpg

By comparrison here's a 1.7L (I think!) 4 headlight version of the Princess a couple of years ago at another show:

jEMpxN5.jpg

You'll be pleased to know that according to the DVLA, Noggin is still around :-)

KWV441W is also still around, having been taxed already this year.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Various scenes around the UK in the '60s and '70s : the first five are Reading in 1973, the sixth is Queensferry, seventh and eight are Bath (the colour one is at Green Park station), ninth is Brighton, the tenth is in Chester and the last two are in Cambridge...

PH 1973 RG.jpg

PH 1973 RGa.jpg

PH 1973a.jpg

PH 1973b.jpg

PH 1973c.jpg

PH Bernies CA Queensferry.jpg

PH BATH 0ccc32b.jpg

PH BATH GREEN PK.jpg

PH Brighton.jpg

PH Chester.jpg

PH Coldhams Lane Canbridge.jpg

PH Coldhams La Cambs.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Aha first Mini so far with a fibre glass replacement bonnet and wings.

Fuel rationing for sure, I remember it well as I was issued with a reserved occupation ration book.......although having a Mini at the time I didn’t need quite as much as I sold to mates :lol:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 20/01/2020 at 12:46, Phil Traxson said:

I have to say that I wanted a hatchback on my Princess 2200, massive boot with a letterbox for a lid that you couldn't get a reasonable size suitcase in and very poor rear visibility.

I had the chance of, and bought, an Ambassador which addressed the problem of boot access and rear visibility, and with the back seats folded took two push bikes without stripping them down at all,  only this one had an awful weak knee'd 1.7 engine that struggled if you filled all the seats , let alone the boot.

My perfect "wedge" would have been the Ambassador body with the 2200 engine. At the time I didn't mind the poor MPG, it was a decent trade off for the comfort and smooth torque of the Princess, almost a poor mans "Roller".   

It was possible, conversions, but like most BMC and BL cars, great ideas were never properly developed through the lack of cash for investment.

jh

• Agree 2

Just watched The Italian Job on the plane on the way over! The original, that is...

My main recollection of the Austin Princess and its contemporaries was of working for a drilling company in Nottingham which had several as company cars. They were awful, constantly giving trouble. I had a 1600 Vauxhall Cavalier which was far superior.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, steve1 said:

What is the station that Mini is at? It looks GC London Extension to me. Can't make out the writing but is it 'Woodhouse'?

Thanks

steve

It is Quorn and Woodhouse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

A few more oldies.... can anyone identify the Deltic at Peterborough...?

PH P'bro.jpg

The nameplate has two lines of words; with just one short word on the first line I'll nominate "Royal Highland Fusilier".

• Thanks 1