The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

8 minutes ago, Moxy said:

What series were they filming in Farnworth, Bob?

Moxy

(who was living in Tonge Moor, Bolton in 2007)

Life On Mars.:) Actually Moxy it could have been 2006? my memory is fast fading and i lost a lot of the behind the scenes pics' i had in a photo album.:wacko: I still have a few hundred on a disc though....somewhere!:rolleyes:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 31/12/2019 at 08:50, Hobby said:

We've just been watching Endeavor and there's two in the first series, a black one used by his boss and the red one came in via a used car lot!

With a recently-replaced windscreen...

Back in the early/mid 1970s, a friend in Bristol used to pick up old Jags and Rovers for pennies, as no one could afford to fill the tanks

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

A quickie before I trip over this unopened bottle of Martini.... Richard Burton and chums on location for 'Villain' in downtown Bracknell in September 1970 with the Burnt Grey over Silver Birch Rover P5B Coupe used prominently in the film.... I can almost smell the leather and wood interior from here...

AA villain-1971-john-hallam-film-director-michael-tuchner-richard-burton-date-1971-T263BJA.jpg

I can see his leather exterior but never knew Burton had a wood interior :lol_mini:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Another Bronze Ford TV star for you all. Was a mad hot late Sept' day in Farnworth, Bolton. 2007. Happy New Year.:drink_mini:

PICT0032.JPG

PICT0029.JPG

PICT0030.JPG

PICT0033.JPG

Takes me back, last time I rigged a vehicle the camera was the size of your finger, it’s amazing how things moved on so fast (once broadcasters admitted the new smaller cameras could match the traditional lumps) that was only 15 or 20 years ago, long before this GoPro stuff, the cameras we first used were from a supplier who usually supplied customers who predominantly wore camo or just black :o.......we managed to “fiddle” the order through :lol:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I can see his leather exterior but never knew Burton had a wood interior :lol_mini:

Not surprisingly Mr.Burton was partial to some helpful lubrication whilst filming 'Villain', with encouragement from Liz Taylor who was present throughout, when filming the pub scenes at The Assembly Rooms in Kentish Town 9right nest to the station) she was behind the bar pulling pints for the cast and crew.

A lot of behind the scenes images and publicity material has surfaced in recent months including some with the wrecked S-Type Jag, Vanden Plas and Mk1 Triumph 2000  on location in Bracknell.... the last pic at the bottom shows the final scene being shot at Nine Elms in October '70, note the brand new Mk3 Cortina which is very likely a Ford press Fleet car...

26903638_10214403869281357_5998885326356952944_n.jpg

001-3.jpg

1d13a105-d7c6-43d5-876b-094f49e9cb48.jpg

AA AAaY0T.jpg

AA_untitled_BLAG.png

AA V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

AA villain-1971-date-1971-T25D91.jpg

AA villain-1971-date-1971-T25D8H.jpg

AA villain-1971-nigel-davenport-richard-burton-date-1971-T25DEB.jpg

• Like 6

Nice to see my Mums old School teacher and a fellow 'Leyther' in the last pic' a certain Mr. Colin Welland. :) I remember him playing a really nasty villain in a 'Sweeney' ep' once.:hunter:

Gene Hunts double dodges some dirty washing after first having driven through it a few times. Note the three quarter inch thick plate sump guard, the actor Philip Glennister managed to smash it off on the cobbled alleys after doing about 40mph, he hit a dip in the cobbles and the sump plate hit the cast iron edge of a manhole cover instantly snapping all four of its holding bolts clean off, good job i had just the right chunky replacements in my tool box to fix it quick.

PICT0027.jpg

• Like 12

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Wow the bikes all in the high street neatly on the kerb while shopping is done.........another world there, and I bet NONE of them ran a red light on the way home :lol:

I remember the centre of Cambridge was always like that - no actually it had solid rows of bikes on the kerb outside Woolies/M&S. One day an Easter Counties LKH bus came swinging out of the street opposite, merrily clipping each bike in turn with its front mudguard.....dominios they were.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Some local stuff in and around Rugby.... the bottom pic shows the newly opened A45 / M45 at Dunchurch….

RY Albert St & Church St.jpg

RY BROWNING ROAD HILLMORTON.jpg

RY Clifton Rd.jpg

RY High Street 1970s.jpg

RY A45 DUNCHURCH.jpg

That's bringing it all back. I was stuck with identifying the Albert Street/Church Street junction at first. Albert Street was one way and behind the photographer was the junction with Bank Street where Bosworth and Carvel's toy shop was, the Hornby Dublo retailer. A left turn into Church Street would lead along Church Street to the Lawrence Sherriff Grammar School, opposite which was Moores Handicrafts, a DIY shop model shop (IIRC Wrenn, etc.) on the first floor. The LS is in the third photo with the "new" (when I was there) Chemistry block on the left. That crossroads is now a roundabout.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Amended text
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Highly appropriate to the thread title, I am currently reading (and would recommend) this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Biography-Mark-Wallington/dp/0749574712/ref=asc_df_0749574712/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310831438545&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18149468671249932212&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006596&hvtargid=pla-566376343195&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

It does make you nostalgic for the cars of your youth and the author picks up on all our little British motoring prejudices very well. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

While looking through my  photo archive back to when I had left my parents home in Rugby I found this photo of my fathers Ford Anglia. I don't recall much about it and why it had the "sun visor" or side reflectors. He would have bought it s/h and being a Yorkshire-man, more influenced by the price than the "style" :).

I also found a photo of my first company car after I had joined GM Ltd, who were the GM division in the UK that imported Opels, GM'sm US and Candaian cars and ran everything else that Vauxhall didn't. The Opel GT was one of a surfeit of GT's that we had, imported into the UK for sale to the US Forces based here. As such it had a detoxed and slow 1900 engine and tyres that would last a lifetime as they had no grip. Those of us in the Service Department's field staff who were still unmarried were allocated them. My colleague in Scotland had a spin on a wet drive to a dealer visit and got the dealer to fit new "UK" spec. tyres the moment he arrived. I managed to go straight at a very quiet country road T Junction under braking on a wet night and ended up in the opposite field. It was in Lincolnshire so no fences and I managed to drive out and away.

WSWs Ford 100E.jpg

Opel GT GM Ltd.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

While looking through my  photo archive back to when I had left my parents home in Rugby I found this photo of my fathers Ford Anglia. I don't recall much about it and why it had the "sun visor" or side reflectors. He would have bought it s/h and being a Yorkshire-man, more influenced by the price than the "style" :).

I also found a photo of my first company car after I had joined GM Ltd, who were the GM division in the UK that imported Opels, GM'sm US and Candaian cars and ran everything else that Vauxhall didn't. The Opel GT was one of a surfeit of GT's that we had, imported into the UK for sale to the US Forces based here. As such it had a detoxed and slow 1900 engine and tyres that would last a lifetime as they had no grip. Those of us in the Service Department's field staff who were still unmarried were allocated them. My colleague in Scotland had a spin on a wet drive to a dealer visit and got the dealer to fit new "UK" spec. tyres the moment he arrived. I managed to go straight at a very quiet country road T Junction under braking on a wet night and ended up in the opposite field. It was in Lincolnshire so no fences and I managed to drive out and away.

WSWs Ford 100E.jpg

Opel GT GM Ltd.jpg

Is that an Elan.......Super Safety?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I remember the centre of Cambridge was always like that - no actually it had solid rows of bikes on the kerb outside Woolies/M&S.

Stewart

Still is......bloody nightmare :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 1