The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Not many Corgi's here but heres some Matchbox model ads' from the early '70's, as found in some old 'Look-In mags' i got recently, i think the the hairy hustler looks a lot like the later Nova kit car and the ambulance kinda has a Sherpa front end look about it.:unsure: I think i probably had all these back then apart from the DS which looks like a very realistic nice model.

2019-12-09_11_39_31.jpg

2019-12-09_11_40_19.jpg

2019-12-09_11_40_49.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Not many Corgi's here but heres some Matchbox model ads' from the early '70's, as found in some old 'Look-In mags' i got recently, i think the the hairy hustler looks a lot like the later Nova kit car and the ambulance kinda has a Sherpa front end look about it.:unsure: I think i probably had all these back then apart from the DS which looks like a very realistic nice model.

2019-12-09_11_39_31.jpg

2019-12-09_11_40_19.jpg

2019-12-09_11_40_49.jpg

The ultimate in fit the box scale! Quite how a SRN6 hovercraft was anywhere near the same size as a citroen SM.

Love the way they try and make an emergency ambulance cool, superfast shinney wheels for the half dead RTA victims! 

I never really liked much of the matchbox range of that period not much of it was realistic at all.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, russ p said:

The ultimate in fit the box scale! Quite how a SRN6 hovercraft was anywhere near the same size as a citroen SM.

Love the way they try and make an emergency ambulance cool, superfast shinney wheels for the half dead RTA victims! 

I never really liked much of the matchbox range of that period not much of it was realistic at all.

Yes, they clearly were "fit the box"! An SRN6 would have been a bit big at the same scale, but MB did do a Super Kings version too. I still have the small version, and it's still in it's box somewhere, but I never aspired to the Citroen...(French and all that...). The Matchbox range had by then to compete with Hot Wheels, so the 'proper' models went out of fashion, despite many still wanting models of the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Mid morning today there was a 20 min short on Talking Pictures - Sunbeam Rapier Brings You A European Holiday In The 50's

Worth 20mins of your time IMHO.  It's repeated Thursday 11:30am and Sunday 6:30pm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Not just poorer choice but poorer quality tooling too. Matchbox peak was circa 1967-70. Hot Wheels messed it all up and now they're trying to kill the Matchbox name altogether. I am proud to say I have precisely none of them.

What were the quite well detailed toy cars of this size thet came out mid 70s in clear plastic boxes from a European manufacturer? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There were some H0 plastic models from Spain, IIRC the name of the manufacturer was Eko. They included several British models in the range such as the Rover P5 and BMC LD van. One to look out for is the Jeep Wagoner station wagon, it is very close to 00 scale not H0 scale like the rest of the range. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I know the ones you mean, Russ - they did commercials as well, including some artics?   Blowed if I can recall the name, though.

That's the ones Jonathan,  was it bettabuy or something on church street and that other toy shop in guisborough sold them ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes they were, another even better make of diecasts that are still going strong is Tomica. They have the advantage of printing the scale on the boxes of most of their models and that is usually pretty accurate. They can be found on E-bay.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Nice bit of period artwork depicting one of the Works Rover 3 litre Saloons on the Spa-Sofia-Liege Rally in the '60s...

Very apt, considering last night I found myself volunteered to do a STC on a local club's 12 car rally....hadn't done that sort of thing for decades.

What I had forgotten is...despite the competitors roaring up in the night, getting cards marked, signed, etc, then disappearing......after the last car, then we ourselves had a right old tear around the darkened countryside trying to find, and collect, all the Q boards, and secret control boards, etc....then get back to the finish[from wherever] before all the hot grub was gobbled! Dread to think how late back we would have been, if I hadn't known the area and its back lanes so well.  Even my good chum...who has lived in these parts for nearly 40 years.....still found himself on a lane he'd never been down before. Seems he's plotting a new route for a sunday afternoon drive in his MGB?

The daily old disreputable Fourtrak proved a welcome hit amongst the other marshalls.....just the thing for the agricultural back lanes, mud, ice, fog, and whatever else the weather last night threw at us. Ideal for simply throwing stakes with boards, straight in the back, regardless!!!

I seem to have landed myself a job with this local club [which is very rally orientated..not quite my cup of tea, motorsporting-wise]......seems getting enough marshalls to run controls, discipline,observing, etc is a tricky task.....with the getting out there, setting up, getting the competitors through [not many, it's a 12 car].....then dismantling, and haring off through the night to our next allocated control..hopefully before the first car arrives, again.......seems the marshalls get to do just as much rapid driving, route finding, etc, as the competitors themselves.....only we don't have to pay an entry fee!

Lordy, some of those back lanes were rough!!!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Very apt, considering last night I found myself volunteered to do a STC on a local club's 12 car rally....hadn't done that sort of thing for decades.

What I had forgotten is...despite the competitors roaring up in the night, getting cards marked, signed, etc, then disappearing......after the last car, then we ourselves had a right old tear around the darkened countryside trying to find, and collect, all the Q boards, and secret control boards, etc....then get back to the finish[from wherever] before all the hot grub was gobbled! Dread to think how late back we would have been, if I hadn't known the area and its back lanes so well.  Even my good chum...who has lived in these parts for nearly 40 years.....still found himself on a lane he'd never been down before. Seems he's plotting a new route for a sunday afternoon drive in his MGB?

The daily old disreputable Fourtrak proved a welcome hit amongst the other marshalls.....just the thing for the agricultural back lanes, mud, ice, fog, and whatever else the weather last night threw at us. Ideal for simply throwing stakes with boards, straight in the back, regardless!!!

I seem to have landed myself a job with this local club [which is very rally orientated..not quite my cup of tea, motorsporting-wise]......seems getting enough marshalls to run controls, discipline,observing, etc is a tricky task.....with the getting out there, setting up, getting the competitors through [not many, it's a 12 car].....then dismantling, and haring off through the night to our next allocated control..hopefully before the first car arrives, again.......seems the marshalls get to do just as much rapid driving, route finding, etc, as the competitors themselves.....only we don't have to pay an entry fee!

Lordy, some of those back lanes were rough!!!

I thought 12 car rallies were outlawed a while back or were there just further restrictions imposed. My last one was in 1979!

• Like 1