The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

2 hours ago, steve1 said:

When was the last time you saw one of these? I nearly bought one in 1997 but, thankfully I bought a Saab 900 Classic instead!

steve

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

was over i  blackpool last month for the lights and walked past one down one of the side streets near the big carpark that was central station 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, steve1 said:

When was the last time you saw one of these? I nearly bought one in 1997 but, thankfully I bought a Saab 900 Classic instead!

steve

Thankfully a long time ago and I sincerely hope it is a lot longer until I see another one.  We had on on the surveillance team I was on in the Police and I can honestly say it was hateful.  In those days the dashboard and switchgear seemed to be shared with every other Jap car on the planet which made it completely devoid of any character at all.  It was also a pig to drive, gutless, handled ok ish but was just not a nice car.  Saab on the other hand!  Well having owned three in the past I suppose I am biased.

• Like 3

Some scenes from the new 'le Mans 66' film... there are some inaccuracies, the usual Hollywood guff on certain events and a lot of timeline compression but I'm looking forward to seeing it. In some scenes real GT40s were used but those seen in the racing scenes are Superformance replica / continuation cars built roughly 95% to original spec....

LM66 #1.jpg

LM66 FordVFerrari_800b.jpg

LM66 ford-v-ferrari-arri-alexa-lf-phedon-papamichael-le-mans-66-small.jpg

LM66 LeMan66pic-scaled.jpg

LM66 le-mans-66-damon-bale-2.jpg

LM66 le-mans-66-le-tournage-en-images-20236-1.jpg

LM66 le-mans-1966-2eme-bande-annonce-20000-1.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A pity they didn't mock up a J-Type for the test scene after Le Mans. 

Christian Bale has a vague facial resemblance to Ken Miles, so that helped for me.

As I said last week, we enjoyed it, so I bet you will too!

I thought the J-Type was first built in '67...? Or was it '66, in good time for the '67 season...?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2019 at 21:28, Rugd1022 said:

I thought the J-Type was first built in '67...? Or was it '66, in good time for the '67 season...?

The J-Type was never intended to race. It was developed in time to be tested at the Le Mans Test Weekend in 1966, following which it had further development and formed the basis of the Mk IV Ford which won LM 1967. The MkIV chassis numbers were all prefixed J, and I think the expensive and innovative honeycomb glued construction tubs had been built in one batch.

I think a new Mk IV, with chassis J-9, has appeared in recent years. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, duncan said:

You must have extra large parking bays in London as it fits in   :D

Actually it doesn’t, I am surprised some “keen” enforcer hasn’t booked it for having the LFW outside the designated space.....:wacko:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Seem like not much GCI in evidence.

Filming the Bike jump.

and not going easy on the DB5's.

and more silver DB5's than you can shake a stick at. Could bring a return of (for those of a certain age) the bullet hole stickers?

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6

The winter sun didn't help the photography, but this beauty was in the car park yesterday at the Peterborough show. I had a lengthy chat with the owner later. It's one of two he owns, along with a few other British classics. Both Stags are in regular use and this one is clearly well looked after. It's in fabulous condition with no signs of any corrosion and the engine made a lovely burbling sound as it pulled out of the car park.

2AA08177-359B-4E38-AEBD-C4554D86318F.jpeg

• Like 12