The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Circa 1930s, I see from the caption. Only a full decade out. You can't get much later in the 1940s than Spring 1949!

Ha! Excellent attention to detail and spotting the printing error.

Those Bulleid Tavern cars described in the link to the Science Museum, like you say, were not actually completed until 1949 so half of the exterior would have been early BR blood and custard, the other Bulleid's spec. for half timbering , stucco and brickwork!   I confess I never saw/rode them, but I understood the illustration was of the mock Tudor pub interior.

Shall we all vote for one on the the present 00 wish list?  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 22:43, chriswright03 said:

Been a while since I have posted any oldies found here in the TRNC so found this today.  Well knew it was there as we had seen it before but took the effort to stop and grab a picture today.  Hope my effort was worth it.  Looks like someone has tried to put a sunroof in it and failed miserably.

20191012_130609.jpg.f01225daca04bbc9f3f9a26cea71d3e7.jpg20191012_130600.jpg.d55ceb6fd16f4ef8c1d98de1175686c1.jpg

Now that brings back memories of the Cortina I was driving around Scotland in 1975, albeit a four door example.  Here it is in the High Street, Edzell that year:

1037756581_EdzellHighStreet.JPG.f7e384bf03ab263501be4dcb1bced88d.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I have always regarded the Mk1 Consul Cortina as a landmark vehicle. It captured the market's imagination like no other affordable family car of that era. It's successors were less outstanding, but sold well because the name had been established  by then. Was it codenamed Archbishop during development? Google would tell me. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Mark 1 Cortinas hold a the odd memory for me: back as a child living in Crawley (West Sussex), I used to get a lift to school sometimes from our neighbour, who had a white Cortina estate with mock wooden trim (like the old Corgi model). One Winter when all our quiet side roads were iced up, the neighbour started us off in first gear and we spent the next few seconds bouncing off the kerbs on both sides of the street. Things improved once she went into second gear!

Much more recently (in the 1980s), a friend in Brisbane had borrowed his parents' mark 1 Cortina and parked it at his local railway station to catch his train to work. The car was stolen while he was at work, but eventually recovered in good condition where it had been abandoned in a side street. Said friend was utterly incredulous that the thief (a drunk, apparently) had chosen the Cortina rather than anything more modern - cars at that time were still not very secure, and easily started and driven away.

• Like 3

I remember well a dark green (Consul) Cortina we often got taken out in, it belonged to an old family friend who still had it well into the 80s. 

As alluded in a previous post..It always amused me how car firms would subsequently create a totally different car and give it the same name...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I can remember quite a few Mk1s still being in daily use in the very early 80s around us. Not many of the pre-facelift ones with the narrow grille and the Consul badging on the bonnet though. Those were noteworthy. As with many models of car from my youth, they all seemed to disappear over a fairly short space of time. A couple of my contemporaries at school got Mk2s as their first cars, not because they were classics at the time (although the signs were certainly there) but because a tidy one was still a sensible buy for everyday use in the period 1982-84.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PatB said:

I can remember quite a few Mk1s still being in daily use in the very early 80s around us. Not many of the pre-facelift ones with the narrow grille and the Consul badging on the bonnet though. Those were noteworthy. As with many models of car from my youth, they all seemed to disappear over a fairly short space of time. A couple of my contemporaries at school got Mk2s as their first cars, not because they were classics at the time (although the signs were certainly there) but because a tidy one was still a sensible buy for everyday use in the period 1982-84.

We had one at about that time, only for about six months I think, while our Minor Convertible was getting some major work including a bare metal respray.  We bought it off the next door neighbours for less than £100, I don't think my Dad was overly impressed with it, unfortunately!

• Like 1

Hello everyone,picked up a copy of this book from my local branch of "The Works"and its a really good read for anyone into old cars.I could`nt put it down!And did you know  Sir Alec Issigonis waas a model railway enthusiast!Highly recommended.(better add a disclaimer too!)

IMG_7406.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

We took the grandchildren to Richmond for the day out yesterday and, when I drove into the carpark at Richmond Park in March Street, there, at the entrance, was a gold and white Chevrolet Impala.  Unfortunately I didn't take a photograph, but it was similar to this one I saw at Penrith a few years back:

983821450_ChevroletImpalainPenrith.jpg.923ce010a8563048029109541e04a261.jpg

On the way back home, on Windsor Street, I passed a Morris Minor 1000 broken down at the roadside.....

• Like 5

22 hours ago, roughshunt said:

Hello everyone,picked up a copy of this book from my local branch of "The Works"and its a really good read for anyone into old cars.I could`nt put it down!And did you know  Sir Alec Issigonis waas a model railway enthusiast!Highly recommended.(better add a disclaimer too!)

IMG_7406.JPG

From what I've read of Sir Alec's character, I suspect he was one of those modelers who is obsessively expert in their chosen field and looks down upon those who inexplicably don't consider eg rail chair and key designs in use in the West Midlands 1925-1935, to be anything like as fascinating and important as they do :derisive:

Edited by PatB
Predictive toast
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Richmond is a place where you do see a fair few interesting cars.  the area is popular with car clubs for their runs and, aside from club cars, there seem to be quite a few old cars in daily use.  Here's something else I saw there earlier this year (in the same car park as the Cortina):

20190122_112156.jpg.87402ce9dd51caf1571fca431a3a822c.jpg

• Like 7

On 19/10/2019 at 14:01, roughshunt said:

Does the book mention the actual antics regarding the model railway? ;)

Can't remember who it was I heard being interviewed years ago, but he was a fresh-faced engineer when the Mini was still being developed. Jack Daniels, the chief design engineer (the "perspiration" to Alec's "inspiration" , in his own words) invited him round to a meeting at Alec's house one evening. On arrival he was told "they're up in the attic, just go on up" .

When he reached the attic there was Alec, Jack Daniels, Alex Moulton (man behind the rubber-doughnut suspension) and John Cooper all sloshing back the whisky/gin and discussing the Mini while playing with Alec's extensive model railway layout! :D

Paul

Edited by Sprintex
  • Like 7

Hi Paul,the book only refers to his model railway in passing."Or the model railway that ran around his bungalow and through specially cut holes into the garden."So i guess he must have had two layouts.I wonder if any photo`s exist of his models?They must have been something special!

• Like 1