The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Me and my old Maserati 4.2 Coupe. Bought it new in 2007, my grandson's thought it was wonderful but then they didn't have to pay for its annual service!

183537560_IMG_2591(2).JPG.50d4823f31abac406325b5d98e00dd4c.JPG

Left me a couple of years ago, but I still have my GTV which I have owned from new. It still looks very good and runs very well.

734679413_2005_05122005toMay12th0044(2).JPG.7d9e595948d6932d61654514893575e5.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 9

On 26/09/2019 at 11:38, Hobby said:

The car was launched as the Austin Healey Sprite (of frogeye/bugeye fame) and then metamorphosed (complete change of body) into the Mk2 A-H Sprite/MG Midget and then via Mks 3 & 4 into the Austin Healey Sprite (Healey name dropped 1971) and MG Midget before finally becoming just an MG Midget. The Sprite and Midget of the 60s/70s were the same car, good old BMC badge engineering! (I had already said that the Midget name was a re-use of a previous name!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin-Healey_Sprite

Riley certainly had a car called a Sprite in the mid 30s, so as they were owned by BMC they'd have had use of the name, though whether they were named after that car or just thought that it was a suitable name for the new car is anyone's guess!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riley_Sprite

Not really a "complete change of body",  most of the original inner body pressings lived on after the Frogeye,  The BMC engineers came up with bolt on wings and front panel, plus  restyled rear wings allowing a separate boot lid to be offered.

Subsequent upgrades were proper wind up windows, an improved dash layout and a fixed softop, but the overall concept remained the same until production finished in 1979. A very successful range of cars for BMC/BL selling about 350,000 uits.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

Tootling down Chip Pan Alley in Skegness this morning, must be something about the place, I put up a picture a few weeks ago of a mini pickup nearby

IMG_20191003_095307461.jpg.06bf8b2f69738300c1d4c4565060b9d3.jpg

A mere 55 years old. And looks completely original rather than restored in any way.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, great central said:

Tootling down Chip Pan Alley in Skegness this morning, must be something about the place, I put up a picture a few weeks ago of a mini pickup nearby

Learned to drive in one in 1970.

Wife's son in law has one and is putting a Subaru Impreza engine in it.  He is a very good spanner monkey and I have little doubt the end result will be quite special.. Wouldn't want to learn to drive in it though!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, great central said:

IMG_20191003_095307461.jpg.06bf8b2f69738300c1d4c4565060b9d3.jpg

And four of us went to Dubrovnik and back in one of that vintage in 1966.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chriswright03 said:

Learned to drive in one in 1970.

Wife's son in law has one and is putting a Subaru Impreza engine in it.  He is a very good spanner monkey and I have little doubt the end result will be quite special.. Wouldn't want to learn to drive in it though!

In a Mini or in an Imp?