The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

My sunbeam lotus came with two super Oscar's and two bi Oscar's which I still have, I put the bi Oscars on my maestro EFi for a bit but always got flashed when they were on dipped beam

Didn't really understand why you would want dipping auxiliary lights especially when they were intended for competition use.

I think there was also a dipping version of KC daylighters which I seem to remember reading somewhere they are basically the lighting unit from the US standard Pyle lighting unit for locomotives which are also dippable 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, russ p said:

My sunbeam lotus came with two super Oscar's and two bi Oscar's which I still have, I put the bi Oscars on my maestro EFi for a bit but always got flashed when they were on dipped beam

Didn't really understand why you would want dipping auxiliary lights especially when they were intended for competition use.

I think there was also a dipping version of KC daylighters which I seem to remember reading somewhere they are basically the lighting unit from the US standard Pyle lighting unit for locomotives which are also dippable 

iirc bi oscars were aimed at kit cars and special builders giving a complete headlight with different beams . my lotus came with a set of six Boche Rally nikks running 150 watt bulbs had to have a bigger battery and more powerfull alternator 

Edited by peanuts
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Clearing out my father in laws garage a couple of weeks back and I found a solitary oblong ‘raydyot’ spot light complete with black cover, the type that could be used a spot light or reverse light, kept hold of it in my shed, I recon it’s a 70s/80s example 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, peanuts said:

iirc bi oscars were aimed at kit cars and special builders giving a complete headlight with different beams . my lotus came with a set of six Boche Rally nikks running 150 watt bulbs had to have a bigger battery and more powerfull alternator 

BiOscars were supposed to be used as combined fog and spot lamps for rallying, obviously not at the same time! ;)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Here's hoping the august members of RMWeb who are interested in old cars might be able to help identify this vehicle which appears in a photo in the illustrated history of the KESR. It's referred to as a Fiat open tourer c1930. I'm not sure if the c1930 refers to the manufacture of the car or the taking of the photo. For a bonus point the source of a 1:43 scale model of the original would be wonderful :)

20190912_225023.jpg.993a906e8850fb2affe76bafec738c7b.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Here's hoping the august members of RMWeb who are interested in old cars might be able to help identify this vehicle which appears in a photo in the illustrated history of the KESR. It's referred to as a Fiat open tourer c1930. I'm not sure if the c1930 refers to the manufacture of the car or the taking of the photo. For a bonus point the source of a 1:43 scale model of the original would be wonderful :)

20190912_225023.jpg.993a906e8850fb2affe76bafec738c7b.jpg

The PH registration does not appear in my Glass's guide so it must have been issued before 1929.The car appears to be a late 20's model that ties in with the registration.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PatB said:

I've always been under the impression that artillery wheels had largely disappeared on new cars by 1930, so I'd concur that the car is probably a few years old in a photo taken in 1930.

Our family's first car was a ponderous flat nose Morris Cowley reg. GH200 with artillery wheels. I believed it to be registered in 1931. Can this be checked these days?

[Poor old 'George' got laid-up in our garage while my dad was away in the RAF during the war, so I tried repainting him from his dreary black with the dregs of every pot of paint I could find left on the shelves around it.

It really upset pained me that my dad was in no way pleased :mad: when he returned at my Jackson Pollock job

dh

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, runs as required said:

Our family's first car was a ponderous flat nose Morris Cowley reg. GH200 with artillery wheels. I believed it to be registered in 1931. Can this be checked these days?

[Poor old 'George' got laid-up in our garage while my dad was away in the RAF during the war, so I tried repainting him from his dreary black with the dregs of every pot of paint I could find left on the shelves around it.

It really upset pained me that my dad was in no way pleased :mad: when he returned at my Jackson Pollock job

dh

The registration GH 200 would be July/August 1930. However some manufacturers offered either steel artillery wheels or wire wheels on their larger models up until the mid thirties (Austin, Hillman, Rover and others). Artillary wheels were retained on light commercials and London taxi's up to WW2 and some London taxi's even had them post war. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, steve1 said:

These were sent to me today.  i suspect they were taken in Oz.

steve

70091305_10158784780614112_157691566813609984_n.jpg

70313066_10158784776969112_3965201583913828352_n.jpg

70406338_10158784774569112_7085794653613588480_n.jpg

NZ number plates.

41 minutes ago, russ p said:

Always thought the 1800 ute was an odd idea unless there is modifications to the hydrolastic suspension as normally if you put a load in the back of a car with it the front comes up

They used the front suspension units on the rear in place of the lighter units on the passenger cars.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3