The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Was that a Farina body on that Princess?

That 4 litre engine got used in a  number of other cars-- Jensen and Marcos ?

It appears to be the Farina Vanden Plas Princess R, which had the Rolls-Royce 4-litre engine, closely related, but not identical, to the B60 military use engine. As I understand it the Jensen 541 used the Austin 4-litre, as used in the Sheerline, the A135 Princess and, knowing Austin, probably quite a few trucks.

Part of the point of using the RR engine in the intended outfit was to find a RR radiator shell from somewhere and stick it on the lunatic device in a pseudo-legitimate fashion. Not that RR would have approved :D.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The 4-litre R began as a joint developement between BMC and Rolls-Royce. The idea was a smaller R-R to compete with the likes of Daimler and Rover (Before British Leyland was formed.) . In the end Rolls-Royce pulled out but as compensation supplied the engines to BMC.

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for those replies

i must admit I was thinking of the 4 litre Sheerline engine. It was also in a Princess at the same time as the Sheerline.

My dad brought a decrepit old 1939 Sunbeam Talbot 4 litre with a flat head Commer engine for £50 at that time in the early 1950s.  I learnt to drive on the lumbering beast. 

I don't think many of the original Austin Princesses ever hit the streets, whereas the Sheerline was quite common.

I didn't realise the Farina/Rolls engined Princess was pre Donald Stokes/Leyland.

dh

• Like 3

18 hours ago, steve1 said:

Morrisons car park this pm.

steve

IMG_0069.JPG

Lovely, it's like a homburg hat on four wheels, stoutly British and all that. Lots of these used as character's cars or just appearing in the background in stuff like The Saint, Randall & Hopkirk etc.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Patrick McGoohan in 'Dangerman' tooling about on the backlot at Elstree in the very first 1071 Cooper S ever built...

ITC_HOP_IMG_5525.jpg

Interesting, the registration comes back as still alive, no MOT history, and tax status as "Not taxed for on road use". I've not seen that tax classification before ...

• Like 2

Despite what comes up on the DVLA checker the car itself no longer exists but the reg' number may be on something else. The second 1071 S '732 HOP' still exists and was at Gaydon a few weeks ago for the 60th birthday gathering. There's a chap known as 'Rolex Bob' who's being trying to flog ''the oldest Cooper S in existence'' for some years now, a nice enough car if it's a real S but it isn't the oldest one. Every now and then he re-advertises it and changes the asking price, I think at one point he had it up for about £90k...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-cars-MINI-COOPER-S-The-earliest-one-in-the-world-1071cc-1963-BARN-FIND/333309690838?hash=item4d9ace43d6:g:0WgAAOSwnHBdHLnb

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

I owned a 1071 S..for a brief moment, back  pre-1974...wasn't new [I don't do 'new' of anything much, automotively speaking]

Exciting to drive....especially around London [before they truly worried about stuff ].....but wearing on a longer journey...preferred my Sprite in the end...

• Like 3

Anyone got any idea why there would be a large number of Morris 1000s going towards mainland Europe,through the Channel Tunnel, yesterday (31/08/2019)? Most were saloons and Travellers, then there were a few soft-tops, vans, and a solitary pick-up. All seemed to have been polished to within an inch of their lives.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Fingers crossed they'll stay over there! :biggrin_mini2:

(Not a fan of them, like MGBs I feel they are over rated)

Minors over-rated? What's not to like about vehicles that have survived in such numbers, often in original condition, and go on forever? Easily repaired and absolutely no silly gadgets to go wrong. OK, no performance, but I know someone who uses hers as a daily driver for local journeys here. Low running costs, no depreciation..... Makes a lot of sense.

And an MGB is almost a Minor with a sports body. Once again, no real performance unless seriously modified, but such great fun to drive. The total package is just so right and much more than the sum of the parts. Still on my bucket list to own.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

As the owner of an MGB, I agree with Joseph's view. I didn't by it for performance but to enjoy some relaxed motoring and meeting others who have an interest in older cars. Over several years I have found owners of other older "classic" cars are very amenable, pleasant people. 

Yesterday I took the MGB roadster to a new classic car event at Glemham Hall (on the A12 between Ipswich and Lowestoft). Not very well promoted but the organisers had managed to get several clubs and dealers to attend. There were lots of Mini's and a BMW Owners Club display (largely ignored by visitors). Several TEAL Replica Bugatti's were on show, together with an original Bugatti Type 23, but I couldn't get a decent photo of those. Jaguar E type Coupes were also fairly well represented.

AC and Ford Pop.jpg

Green MG TC.jpg

Peugeot GTi's.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Minors over-rated? What's not to like about vehicles that have survived in such numbers, often in original condition, and go on forever? Easily repaired and absolutely no silly gadgets to go wrong. OK, no performance, but I know someone who uses hers as a daily driver for local journeys here. Low running costs, no depreciation..... Makes a lot of sense.

Using almost any vehicle over 40 years old as a daily driver is a fool hardy and stupid thing to do, they were built with absolutely no crash worthiness designed in (except a few Volvos) and in anything more than a parking impact the interior turns into a box full of “hammers and exacto blades” as our safety engineers used to say......take classics out for special occasions and drive them with the greatest respect.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Using almost any vehicle over 40 years old as a daily driver is a fool hardy and stupid thing to do, they were built with absolutely no crash worthiness designed in (except a few Volvos) and in anything more than a parking impact the interior turns into a box full of “hammers and exacto blades” as our safety engineers used to say......take classics out for special occasions and drive them with the greatest respect.

Putting it politely..I cannot agree there...I drive a 60s Land Rover as a daily drive, and have done for years, i know a couple of other lads who do similar, don't consider any of  us "stupid"

....indeed driving this kind of vehicle requires you to pay attention, think, and actually be able to drive...

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

Blimey you can't express a personal opinion without getting it in the neck can you! 

The Minor was a common or garden car that was produced 10 years past it's sell by date. Because of that there were more around than there should have been which has lead to them (IN MY VIEW!) as being over rated. There were other significant cars in the 50s but they didnt overstay their welcome.

Please bear in mind this is my own opinion and you are free to disagree! (But you won't change my mind!)

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3

As for using them in modern traffic i agree with BB. For occassional use finr but as a daily I wouldn't. They are of a different era when traffic was sparse and slower. Whilst they can be made safer, more reliable and faster they then lose their originality which for me defeats the purpose of owning a classic.  But what the heck!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Hobby said:

As for using them in modern traffic i agree with BB. For occassional use finr but as a daily I wouldn't. They are of a different era when traffic was sparse and slower. Whilst they can be made safer, more reliable and faster they then lose their originality which for me defeats the purpose of owning a classic.  But what the heck!

Was traffic particularly sparse or slower in the past? Pre WW2 perhaps but when I had to drive around 30K - 40K miles a year in the 70's the motorways and A roads may have been a bit less crowded but speeds were generally higher.Cars were less well equipped with ABS, tyres that match the performance of modern ones etc. so major accidents and pile ups were not uncommon.

I find the biggest issue when driving the MGB is the lack of consideration shown by drivers of modern cars. Recent examples include being cut up by a Volvo (the driver had got into the wrong lane for turning left at a roundabout on the A12) and being hounded at close quarters through Woodbridge by an Audi (it is interesting how your ears provide an increased awareness of what is going on around you when in an open car). In general I try to drive at or near the speed speed limit or at a speed appropriate to the road conditions*. so as not to hold up others (except on dual carriage ways where I tend to stick to 60 mph).

* A practise not usually followed by users of local roads near where I live.

• Like 5

One trouble with modern cars with 'amazing' brakes etc etc is that it gives the driver the illusion of invincible immortality....

he thinks all the electronic bells and whistles free him from the responsibility of having to think and pay attention.

Still, with the advent of cars that drive themselves, 'generation brainwashed' will be able to happily sit just there watching X factor, Facebook or whatever..

When that day arrives I certainly won't be venturing on the road thanks.!

• Agree 10

As an everyday motorcyclist until very recently (and not having ceased to be so on safety grounds) I tend towards the view that not crashing in the first place beats any degree of crash worthiness, and that not crashing is a skill which, whilst not remotely infallible, can be developed to a remarkably large extent. 

That said, I would be reluctant to do a daily commute in a classic. Not because I consider it unsafe, but because most daily commutes will grind a vehicle to powder. It seems rather a waste to destroy a vehicle owned for pleasure by using it in a rather unpleasurable manner. 

Using a classic for general, day to day running around, though, I have no problem with. I'm not convinced that makes me stupid. Just someone with different priorities and a different outlook. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Blimey you can't express a personal opinion without getting it in the neck can you! 

Who'd have thought it? You express what you know is a contentious opinion on a discussion forum and then after a single polite response get upset. If you don't want a response, don't poke people with sharp sticks. 

FWIW, @Joseph_Pestell has a point. Minors are (apparently) easy to look after, parts supply is excellent and most magazines consider them to be a perfect starter classic. They also look cute and are very British, hence the appeal and large number of survivors.

Personally, I dream of owning a Matra Rancho, but THAT is a rare car.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Personally, I dream of owning a Matra Rancho, but THAT is a rare car.

Ideal for carting layouts around. Likewise the Nissan Praire, only three left on the road last time I looked. Problem is with such a rare car would you dare take it out except on special occassions?

• Like 2