The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, chriswright03 said:

Not posted for a while but as I was passing the local garage the other day I saw he had a couple that may be of interest so here they are.

Followed a TR8 for five miles to the station this week; unfortunately couldn't hear it even with my windows down.

• Like 3

On my way up to Toton this morning I overtook a J reg'd Triumph Herald on the M1 driven by a young lad, what struck me was how small and vulnerable it looked in amongst the modern stuff, it stood out like the proverbial sore thumb. A welcome bit of relief though amongst the dross of modernity!

• Like 6

Had one of them about 10 years ago, Russet Brown is the colour... They did the Maestro in a very similar colour, Clove Brown, though it had a little more red in it than the earlier colour... Both look very nice when polished up (as you'd expect!!),,,

(Just as an aside, it's a "Maxi", not a "MAXI", please don't BMW it!!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We had three Maxis when I was a kid, all 1750HLs; superb for towing the caravan and the low floor and boot lip was brilliant for carrying building/DIY materials.  The first was dark blue, apparently I cried when we sold it (I was about 2y.o), the second orange and the third that middle blue, which really kept it's sheen, unlike a lot of colours at that time.

Our last one had all the gearbox faults they were famous for - it jammed in gear at least twice and we had to be recovered - but my Dad still has fond memories of them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I learned to drive in them. Dad was a commercial traveller in the 50s to the 70s and the firm he worked for liked BMC/BL so we always had their cars. We had one of the first cable gearchange 1500s and ran it for 100k with no problems same as the next, 1750, version we had next. Roomy and comfortable and sorted in the Maxi 2 guise but out of date by then.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Just got back from Wroxhall Abbey a few miles north of Hatton Locks where the Marcos owner's Club are holding their 60th anniversary gathering, around one hundred cars turned up (many from abroad including a few Mini Marcos's) and I probably took about three hundred photos, but here are just a few to be going on with....

DSCF5073.jpg

DSCF5079.jpg

DSCF5072.jpg

DSCF5085.jpg

• Like 13

Another one form today - this was a nice surprise, I wasn't aware any of these existed, it's a Marcos Costin Amigo, one of only eight ever built, one of only three in the UK and one of only two which are actually on the road...

DSCF5110.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Sorry you were unlucky with the weather at FoS.  I watched some of the BBC coverage yesterday, some gorgeous machinery as always (especially some of the race bikes).

I haven't been for some years; glad I went a couple of times back in the late 90s before it became quite so expensive; I'm sure it was only about £30-40 quid when I went.  I used to like spotting the older star racers; I once gave up trying to see the Williams display which was surrounded five deep, then realised Emerson Fittipaldi was being pushed right past my ankles in his Championship-winning car, with hardly anyone noticing him.....

• Like 6

Luckily it was wet but not cold. 

Over 100 notes for me and number one son today. Expensive but it's a whole days entertainment with the best cars and top drivers who are prepared to give some time to their fans. Bottas was brilliant for mercedes, Lando Norris had his hands full with the can am mclaren and it was hard not to shed a tear when Sir Jackie Stewart stopped half way up the hill to give his wife who is now suffering from dementia a rose he had hidden in his car.

If it was 90 minutes of watching 22 play actors kicking a ball about for the same amount of cash then I would be miffed.

20190707_132054-1.jpg

20190707_151623-1.jpg

20190707_145213.jpg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Luckily it was wet but not cold. 

Over 100 notes for me and number one son today. Expensive but it's a whole days entertainment with the best cars and top drivers who are prepared to give some time to their fans. Bottas was brilliant for mercedes, Lando Norris had his hands full with the can am mclaren and it was hard not to shed a tear when Sir Jackie Stewart stopped half way up the hill to give his wife who is now suffering from dementia a rose he had hidden in his car.

If it was 90 minutes of watching 22 play actors kicking a ball about for the same amount of cash then I would be miffed.

20190707_132054-1.jpg

20190707_151623-1.jpg

20190707_145213.jpg

I was there too, a great day, I was lucky enough to be stood in the pits when they got "BABS" fired up, 27 litre fire spitting monster and got some great video.  Also managed to blag a glass of Champagne to celebrate sir Jackie Stewart's birthday and then realised I was stood next to Derek Bell (Nice chap). 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

I was there too, a great day, I was lucky enough to be stood in the pits when they got "BABS" fired up, 27 litre fire spitting monster and got some great video.  Also managed to blag a glass of Champagne to celebrate sir Jackie Stewart's birthday and then realised I was stood next to Derek Bell (Nice chap). 

I importuned Derek Bell at the 2018 Le Mans Classic - he was coming out of the loo! Very patient with his public.

My last FOS was 2003, sadly, but watching the Bentley go up the hill was brill as I'd seen it win Le Mans the previous month! 

And I think that was the year  I saw Jim Hall (Chaparral) standing on the steps of Goodwood House with Charles March. Surreal.

But motorsport is like that. My one visit to Sebring found me, in the campsite, talking to Jan Magnussen (Kevin's father) who then and now was and is a works Corvette driver. Then we stopped at a burger stand and found ourselves talking to Frank Biela and Marco Werner The following day they won the 12 hr race. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But motorsport is like that. My one visit to Sebring found me, in the campsite, talking to Jan Magnussen (Kevin's father) who then and now was and is a works Corvette driver. Then we stopped at a burger stand and found ourselves talking to Frank Biela and Marco Werner The following day they won the 12 hr race. 

In my experience, motorsport EXCEPT FORMULA ONE, is like that.  That disappeared up its own whatsit long ago, although to be fair, I'm not sure how they would cope with so many fans.

What is shame is people saying, "I can't understand motorsport, it's so boring and all about money", then they admit they've only ever seen Formula One.  Which amounts to about 0.1% of all the motorsport in the world.  

NOTE: For anyone in London, there is a Sauber/Alfa on display at the O2 at the moment, being used to promote vaping products.  Obviously only a display chassis but the detailed engineering on these cars is just exceptional.

• Like 2

A spot of Marcos nostalgia - in 1968 Jem Marsh and co built a one off wooden chassied mid engine car called the Mantis XP, it was hoped it would have a successful season but it only ran in one race at Spa, Jem gave a good account in the dry on practice day but come race day the heavens opened and moisture ingress put paid to all the firm's efforts.... thankfully it didn't go the way of so many one off racing machinery and lives on today...

XP Marcos-Mantis-XP-at-Spa.jpg

XP 18345_o.jpg

XP 02352317_o.jpg

XP SPA 1968 Klaus TW.jpg

XP thHX954EXG.jpg

XP JM SPA 1968 72491_o.jpg

XP marcos-mantis-xp-2_750x.jpg

XP 18732_n.jpg

XP Marcos%20Mantis%20xp%205A.jpg

XP thQSKDHG2Q.jpg

XP Marcos-Mantis-XP_13.jpg

XP Marcos-Mantis-XP-6Z.jpg