The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

A different approach to Mini engines seen today in Peel.  I think it's a Kawasaki, maybe 1000 or 1400 ZZR engine.

zzmini.jpg.c16c771acc2f0ca88ccfd21666db5d8a.jpg

Nicely packaged oil cooler installation:lol_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Lots of lurvely stuff there, thanks for sharing the photos!  The Mini pickup would be a personal favourite - WHY WHY WHY didn't I buy a Mini when you could get them for buttons? - but the rarity prize must be the Land Crab pick-up.  Not sure I've ever seen one, anywhere.

I don't know if I'd say they were common in Oz, but I've certainly seen more than one. I would imagine the one in the photos was brought to the UK from the Antipodes.

As for the Mini pick-up, quite some years ago a mate had one, and it was great fun. However, it was also so rotten that if you went over a level crossing or similarly bumpy stretch at speed you had to let go of the steering wheel in order to hold both doors closed or the flex in the shell would spring them open :D.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

I had assumed that pick up (not mini obviously!) was a special that someone had modified from a car or whatever, but you say they exist in Australia, was it an Aussie made under licence job or something??

Not really under licence. BMC had manufacturing facilities here and did a fair amount of local design and engineering work too. For example, BMC Australia created Austin and Morris variants on the Wolseley 1500/Riley 1.5 which didn't exist anywhere else (Austin Lancer and Morris Major/Major Elite). They also (effectively) stuck an extra pair of pots onto the B-Series engine and put it in the Oxbridge shell to make the Austin Freeway and Wolseley 24/80 which, again, were never seen elsewhere.  Later there was also a six pot variation on the Marina, which really is a rarity. I think I've seen one in 23 years.

As it's practically a legal obligation in Oz for every model of car to have a "ute" (pick-up) version, the 1800 inevitably got the chop treatment and, thanks to the dry climate and lack of road salt, one or two were still doing daily duties when I got here in '96. A few have been preserved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The land crab 'ute' was indeed a factory built example. They even have the Hydrolastic suspension modified to carry a load which was basically using the front units on the back as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Worth adding to the above list are the Austin Tasman and Kimberley - an 1800 bodyshell with restyled front and rear, and a transversely mounted 6 cylinder 2227cc engine.  there was to have been a "ute" version of the Tasman, but it never made it into production.  Also the Leyland P76 should not be forgotten either - I was driving down North Rocks Road towards Baulkham Hills a few days ago behind one......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The land crab 'ute' was indeed a factory built example. They even have the Hydrolastic suspension modified to carry a load which was basically using the front units on the back as well.

The compact suspension enabled it to carry 4' x 8' sheets flat on the floor yet the vehicle's shorter and no wider than a '70s Cortina saloon.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Wolseley said:

Worth adding to the above list are the Austin Tasman and Kimberley - an 1800 bodyshell with restyled front and rear, and a transversely mounted 6 cylinder 2227cc engine.  there was to have been a "ute" version of the Tasman, but it never made it into production.  Also the Leyland P76 should not be forgotten either - I was driving down North Rocks Road towards Baulkham Hills a few days ago behind one......

Did it have the obligatory 44 gallon drum in the boot ;)? 

Edit: There was also, IIRC, a Morris 1500, using (I think) the 1100 shell and a (obviously) 1500 engine. I've always assumed it to be closely related to the Allegro lump but may well be wrong. 

Edited by PatB

37 minutes ago, PatB said:

Did it have the obligatory 44 gallon drum in the boot ;)? 

Edit: There was also, IIRC, a Morris 1500, using (I think) the 1100 shell and a (obviously) 1500 engine. I've always assumed it to be closely related to the Allegro lump but may well be wrong. 

The boot lid was closed, so I don't know - but I do have a photo somewhere of a P76 with a 44 gallon drum in the boot.....

The Nomad (manufactured from 1969 to 1971) used a 4 cylinder (1485cc) version of the E Series.  It was not a financial success, mainly due to problems with the UK designed gearbox, which gave the car a bad reputation for reliability.  Interestingly, it was a hatchback design, not unlike the Austin Maxi.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Wolseley said:

The boot lid was closed, so I don't know - but I do have a photo somewhere of a P76 with a 44 gallon drum in the boot.....

The Nomad (manufactured from 1969 to 1971) used a 4 cylinder (1485cc) version of the E Series.  It was not a financial success, mainly due to problems with the UK designed gearbox, which gave the car a bad reputation for reliability.  Interestingly, it was a hatchback design, not unlike the Austin Maxi.

Ah yes. The Nomad was the one I was thinking of. Was it wider than an 1100? The mental picture I have suggests it might have been. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PatB said:

Ah yes. The Nomad was the one I was thinking of. Was it wider than an 1100? The mental picture I have suggests it might have been. 

I don't have its measurements handy in order to make a comparison, but I suspect not or, if it was bigger in any way, it might have been an inch or two longer and, due to the hatchback design, it would have had considerably more luggage space.  The redesigned front grille did make the car look wider though.

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The nomad was ADO16 based but as stated earlier had an E series engine this been taller than the A series needed a different bonnet which today are sort after for those wanting either an E series in an 1100/1300 or bigger carbs.

A 1750 with MG maestro Webber 40 DCNF carbs would be an interesting concept!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Did they ever sell or build the Austin 3-litre in Oz? Just thinking it would make a fantastic ute.

To the best of my knowledge, no.  A few of them did make their way here (in the last 50 years or so I've seen two of them) but they were probably privately imported.  The problem in manufacturing the Austin 3 Litre would be the C Series engine.  The transfer machines in the Zetland factory were set up to produce the B Series engine in four and six cylinder (yes, there was a B Series six, fitted to the Austin Freeway and Wolseley 24/80) and they were later modified to manufacture the E Series (which is why you find the E Series in Australian built Marinas).

Cars with the C Series (Austin, Austin-Healey, Vanden Plas, Wolseley) have been sold in Australia, but they were all either fully imported or assembled CKD.  A ute version would have to be made here and, without the tax advantage coming from the use of local content, would not have been competitive price-wise.

• Thanks 1

My first Car meet of the year at the Pub, alot of the usual cars looking very good and some new ones, first a 1935 Invicta 4.5l 

826834066_Invicta19354.5lRMweb.JPG.eefeb40f514de7da3873deff80e3488a.JPG

a 1955 Aston Martin DB 2/4

1288405435_AstonMartinDB2-41955RMweb.JPG.751cb48622a8275fe6a8e2004e109653.JPG

Really nice Jaguar XK120 in a lovely non original colour!

1512408901_Jaguarxk120coupe1950sRMweb.JPG.4a8236d72b42d0e7c9a20349b6f7fe8d.JPG

a 1935 Cadillac Laselle

960984187_CadilllacLaselle1935RMweb.JPG.bf11f5ccc96c05a731dc28803e528dd5.JPG

Americana Cord 812 Westchester Sedan 1937 Custom

1524804743_Cord812WestchesterSedan1937CustomRMweb.JPG.6f518e83de61a917de1342248b855630.JPG

The interior, the owner has built a series of custom cars, not really my thing but the workmanship is stunning

1513630644_Cord1937CustomRMweb.JPG.ea494e7b5e29fad310dd36a0898dcba6.JPG

and to finish sidevalve BSA not sure whether it's a M20 or 21 will check if I see it again.

1342270790_BSAM20-1RMweb.JPG.a8ce252394c0441958f19f96f6e1d85c.JPG

A very pleasant evening in good company, washed down with a couple of nice pints of Best!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Given they had the 1800 Ute would they really need a 3 litre version too, especially given it would likely need a higher deck to clear the driven rear axle?

The boot was stretched so another foot or so could be added at the rear. The rear suspension was independent so the diff would be fixed so no live rear axle bouncing around on outback roads.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The boot was stretched so another foot or so could be added at the rear. The rear suspension was independent so the diff would be fixed so no live rear axle bouncing around on outback roads.

It seems doubtful that two sets of Ute sides would be economic. Does anyone need a nine foot deck? Independant or not, any drive to the rear axle is bound to take up more space than no axle.