The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

An Italian motorcycle manufacturer [was it Laverda? Or Benelli?]...........was,IIRC noted for having improved switches over what went, usually, before..by using Japanese switchgear...

As a young working lad [left school before 16....as was the thing in those days]....I was 'at sea'....Italian-built vessels were noted for dodgy electrics...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Other than those who enjoyed driving them.  My uncle had multiple Alfas, most of them broke down but this was always outweighed by the driving enjoyment. 

That Integrale is,...... sorry, I've started drooling on the keyboard..........

We have had two Alfas, one was a convertible and not that good actually it rattled and flexed over anything but a Motorway surface, or should that be AutoStrada? ;)  the second was a Giulietta type 116 (four door saloon 1980) which was an absolute gem, I bought it at two years old from BCA auctions Enfield as I did all my cars back then, and it turned out to have been a company car but owned by the chairman/president of the UK Alfa Romeo owners club, as you can imagine it was PERFECT :good_mini: ........a lovely car which was so well balanced with a superb twin cam twin sidedraft dellorto carbed engine up front and a rear mounted gearbox/diff assembly, a brilliant car........but today it would have been considered a bit basic and unrefined, but around the back roads of the Essex countryside it was great fun!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

my six year old Alfa Giulietta which has a re-occurring fault with the German supplied wiring loom.

Unfortunately it may well be “German supplied” but it’s built to “Italian budget specifications” :lol:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Unfortunately it may well be “German supplied” but it’s built to “Italian budget specifications” :lol:

Fords once had (has) a reputation for using materials of the cheapest specification.

Hmmmm! Not only do we have 'just-in-time' [JIT] production processes, but we also seem to have ' only-just-good-enough ' quality ?

MAybe even, 'just-enough-to-outlast-the-guarantee' quality as well?

Bring back Jowett!!

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Italian thinking definitely came into it somewhere, the loom in question wasn't actually designed to go into the Giulietta but was, er 'made to fit'! One of the Alfa forums is full of people complaining about specific electrical gremlins in the Giulietta, the worst of which is where the loom goes into the tailgate and 'pinches' every time you open or close it, causing the central locking to start playing silly beggars. Mine started doing this three years ago and shows no sign of putting itself right, despite a trip to the nearest Alfa dealer In Nuneaton. That said, the car itself is fine, it's red, it's Italian and has caramel coloured leather seats.... it's just a pity it sounds like a JCB! Despite all their faults, perceived or real, I'm still massively drawn to old Italian stuff, they really do get under your skin of you let them. I remember playing Top Trumps with a mate in the '70s and drooling over the small grainy pictures of various Alfas and the Lancia Stratos..... oh my... :wub:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

my neighbours recently restored Fiat X1/9's electrics are in better shape than my six year old Alfa Giulietta which has a re-occurring fault with the German supplied wiring loom.

Is it the actual loom, an installation issue or something attached to the loom?

• RMweb Premium

Some photos from yesterdays Vale of Avalon car run , I tried to avoid those that I recognised from last

year .

You can argue among yourselves about the 'old or not old' .    :D

More to follow .

DSCN4746.JPG

DSCN4747.JPG

DSCN4749.JPG

DSCN4750.JPG

DSCN4751.JPG

DSCN4748.JPG

DSCN4753.JPG

DSCN4754.JPG

DSCN4755.JPG

DSCN4756.JPG

DSCN4773.JPG

DSCN4757.JPG

• Like 16

2 hours ago, royaloak said:

Is it the actual loom, an installation issue or something attached to the loom?

General consensus seems to be that it's the loom and its installation, it was designed for another car (a Merc of some sort I think) and opening the tailgate stretches and pinches it at a certain point. It's very common on Giuliettas but as far as I'm aware doesn't affect the smaller Mito.

Just got back from work, sat down with a cuppa, time for a bit of blatant Italianate nostalgia... the last photo is the one off Maserati 450S Zagato built by Frank Costin in 1957 on a 1956 convertible chassis, pictured in the factory yard, there's a railway line behind the fence apparently...

MAS FANGIO 250F.jpg

MAS juan-manuel-fangio-belgian-grand-prix-beautiful-picture.jpg

MAS SCQ7.jpg

MAS Scuderia 7.jpg

MAS 450S Costin Zag 1956 st 1956 as convertible.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Next batch .

I had to split  the Hillman Minx and caravan as I could'nt get both in the same shot .

Some there could have been a bit better presented but on the whole some very tidy motors ,

best in show went to a 1966 Mini Countryman with the wood sides .

As last year there was a commercial section but it was to cramped to get any good shots .

If any one is interested here is the report from the local news site .

https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/burnhams-mayor-picks-winning-entry-at-vale-of-avalon-vintage-car-run/

DSCN4759.JPG

DSCN4760.JPG

DSCN4765.JPG

DSCN4761.JPG

DSCN4762.JPG

DSCN4770.JPG

DSCN4772.JPG

DSCN4766.JPG

DSCN4767.JPG

DSCN4764.JPG

DSCN4771.JPG

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Lots of lurvely stuff there, thanks for sharing the photos!  The Mini pickup would be a personal favourite - WHY WHY WHY didn't I buy a Mini when you could get them for buttons? - but the rarity prize must be the Land Crab pick-up.  Not sure I've ever seen one, anywhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Italian thinking definitely came into it somewhere, the loom in question wasn't actually designed to go into the Giulietta but was, er 'made to fit'! One of the Alfa forums is full of people complaining about specific electrical gremlins in the Giulietta, the worst of which is where the loom goes into the tailgate and 'pinches' every time you open or close it, causing the central locking to start playing silly beggars. Mine started doing this three years ago and shows no sign of putting itself right, despite a trip to the nearest Alfa dealer In Nuneaton. That said, the car itself is fine, it's red, it's Italian and has caramel coloured leather seats.... it's just a pity it sounds like a JCB! Despite all their faults, perceived or real, I'm still massively drawn to old Italian stuff, they really do get under your skin of you let them. I remember playing Top Trumps with a mate in the '70s and drooling over the small grainy pictures of various Alfas and the Lancia Stratos..... oh my... :wub:

had a few fiats couple of pandas and a strada the latter was  one of the best drives i ever had sweet 1298 engine not the dreaded "fire" lump how i wish i had been able to get a set of those dinky 38 dcoe side drafts  but they were way out of my budget. hell of a chassis early morning runs across chat moss to Glazebrook box were  grin inducing . the perennial dodgy Italian electrics put in the odd appearance usualy resulting from poor earths especially the famous  disco tail lights when indicating and breaking . child number four resulted in its replacement with various Renault people carriers now they wrote the book on dodgy electrics .

• Like 4

Mike's posting of those lovely photos reminds me I saw a pair of Cortinas on the A5 just south of Rugby this afternoon on the way home from the DIRFT shunt job, a red F reg'd Mk2 two door and a black Y reg'd MkV which must have been one of the last made / registered, it also had an odd looking 'XR6' badge on the bootlid.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't there a V8 Cortina in south Africa that was an XR6?

I'm learning DIRFT at the moment so may run into you.

Not there this week now as was supposed to be on it tomorrow but now taking 37419 to Norwich instead

• Like 3

10 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

That is probably a good thing!

The earlier mentioned Audi 100 had quite awful electrics (wire gauge might have been suitable for an N gauge layout, but nothing larger!), and the 3 series was worse than the contemporary Alfa 156. As an example, the connectors in to the tail light burn out which seems to be a fairly common problem (along with coil packs failing at about 70k, short lived electric window switches, etc).  Strangely our neighbours fairly recent Audi A1 had almost exactly the same problem with the tail light, with the connector being under specced for the earth.

To be fair, the electrics in the Maserati are not brilliant. Wiring us generally fine. But the fuse box is somewhat overloaded (apparently sourced from the Fiat Strada). And to add to the fun Maserati chose to use non common standard relays; the relays have the same pin layout but different connections for those pins , hence using a common relay that plugs straight in can cause all sorts of issues.

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Wasn't there a V8 Cortina in south Africa that was an XR6?

I'm learning DIRFT at the moment so may run into you.

Not there this week now as was supposed to be on it tomorrow but now taking 37419 to Norwich instead

Think the XR6 Cortina in South Africa used the 3L V6, as did the XR6 Sierra. There was an XR8 Sierra sold there using a 5L V8 engine from the Mustang.

All the best

Katy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Nidge's last Maserati pic, of the Costin special, is interesting, because it bears more than a passing resemblance to Maserati's last fling in racing sportscars, the 152, or 151/3 as it is sometimes called. yet that was in 1964, many years later!

• Like 2