The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Jim I never meant it that way, it's just I don't think your cars are old cars (they are still current production models!) hence I suggested you set up another thread to cater for your likes. As you haven't i have! Rest assured I'll be reading that thread as well, but at least it gives a better idea what to expect in it's content! Now stop moaning and go play!! ;)

TBH I couldn’t put a winking emoji on my post, no offence taken and I’ve put some pics up on there now

as I’ve also put on there I was meaning to start a new thread but with my mum dying and other things I didn’t get round to it, she had a modern classic too that i should add  To the other thread 

• Friendly/supportive 8

37 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Why do people want their tail lights to resemble brake lights in their brightness?

And then sit at the lights with their foot on the brake pedal blinding the driver behind with their 10,000 lumen brake lights because its too much effort to pull the handbrake on!

Definitely don't 'look' like brake lights at all...they are just a bit more 'obvious' when compared to the original filament bulbs......but, that is an aside....[or maybe you have forgotten how dim...read, not noticeable, tail lights can be on old cars? Certainly when dealing with modern drivers, who are used to not actually looking for tail lights..preferring things to be 'in their faces', from an observational viewpoint? Ask the driver of a 1920's Trojan, that was run into at high speed at night, on the A303...by a young driver in a Fiesta, who 'didn't notice' the 'normal' old fashioned tail lights [very legal] of the Trojan?

Their real benefit is in low consumption....

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, big jim said:

Most cars nowadays have auto headlights which is pretty standard and has been for years but just recently I’ve been getting hire cars with auto ‘full beam’ which as it says puts the lights on maximum when it senses it can, it’s a damn good system and must work on ‘seeing’ other vehicles headlights or tail lights but it does have its flaws, on the motorway wagons coming the other way can be blinded as the the sensor doesn’t pick up the headlight behind the central reservation but the driver is obviously higher up and being blinded, also if something is coming out of a side street at an angle away from you the lights stay full beam on as the headlight of the other vehicle is not in view 

I have noticed a marked increase in people not dipping headlights promptly, or at all. Especially on motorways. I suspect auto (not) dipping headlights are the major cause.

all the best

katy

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm always weary of auto lights . Our road joins a  tree lined road and the amount of times you think someone is flashing you out but it is in fact the auto lights coming on due to low light.

My missus's MG3 has them but we always have them on manual

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

I've got a little switch on the dash, made by Mr Lucas..if I want to turn the lights on , I flick it down....;)

Being made by Mr Lucas does anything happen?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

This was spotted in Immingham today. The builder (an older chap) came out when I was photting it and said he and his twin brother built it. He gave a bit of a rebuild recently. It has a Ford 2 litre 4 pot with a Weber carb. He said it was quite nippy!

steve

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

• Like 14

On 18/05/2019 at 19:43, alastairq said:

Definitely don't 'look' like brake lights at all...they are just a bit more 'obvious' when compared to the original filament bulbs......but, that is an aside....[or maybe you have forgotten how dim...read, not noticeable, tail lights can be on old cars? Certainly when dealing with modern drivers, who are used to not actually looking for tail lights..preferring things to be 'in their faces', from an observational viewpoint? Ask the driver of a 1920's Trojan, that was run into at high speed at night, on the A303...by a young driver in a Fiesta, who 'didn't notice' the 'normal' old fashioned tail lights [very legal] of the Trojan?

Their real benefit is in low consumption....

I would assume that it was the Fiesta travelling at "high speed";).

Seriously though, I do hope the Trojan driver is OK. 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2019 at 11:59, royaloak said:

Why do people want their tail lights to resemble brake lights in their brightness?

And then sit at the lights with their foot on the brake pedal blinding the driver behind with their 10,000 lumen brake lights because its too much effort to pull the handbrake on!

Not always the case that drivers fail to apply the handbrake: in my car (and other makes), the brake lights remain on when the automatic brake is applied to stop the car rolling at traffic lights. They remain on until the accelerator deactivates the brakes. It’s just a safety feature. And to be honest, I’d rather be seen than driven into....

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite a good selection of old cars and commercials at the Three Okefords PS rally in Shillingstone yesterday. Shame about the weather which closed in during the afternoon.

Going to another car event next Sunday (Hazelbury Bryan) and looking forward to the Solstice event at Motcombe (on B3081 between Shaftesbury and Gillingham) on 21 June.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PatB said:

I would assume that it was the Fiesta travelling at "high speed";).

Seriously though, I do hope the Trojan driver is OK. 

Erm....yes, I believe so...Dangerous driving prosecution followed [successfully]....the issue is, the 'expectations' of modern-day drivers?

Trojan crew were seriously injured...serious especially as neither were youngsters at all [which generally makes matters much worse?]

This incident occurred a few years back now, on a popular motor sporting event....The Tojan [one of several that regularly compete]....was equipped with addition lighting , over & above what was original [therefore , quite legal]....just to make the car as 'visible' in the dark as a more modern vehicle.

The modern car & driver did not appear to be doing anything most modern drivers would be doing at any given time, day or night, on a dual carriageway. IE, assuming like mad, and not expecting to have to exercise appropriate observation..rather, to be 'told', rather than 'seeking'..observation-wise.

I believe the Trojan was making its best speed...around 35 mph , or a bit more.....maybe 40mph...at the time....although the time would have been the middle of the night. 

Still, it could have been a tractor? Or a push bike?  The road was [is] not  under motorway regulations....so, as I said, 'expectations'.....

Old vehicles won't be lit up like next year's BMW at the back....but, that is what modern drivers expect to 'see'...

That I feel is the 'problem' associated with the plethora of daylight running lights up front?

Folk stop looking for the 'unlit' vehicle....especially when it is surrounded by 'lit' vehicles.....which behaviour seems a natural thing to do, to me....?  [Not what I do, as it happens, but I'm an auldfarht driver...]

Edited by alastairq
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

Not always the case that drivers fail to apply the handbrake: in my car (and other makes), the brake lights remain on when the automatic brake is applied to stop the car rolling at traffic lights. They remain on until the accelerator deactivates the brakes. It’s just a safety feature. And to be honest, I’d rather be seen than driven into....

Tony

Some would consider that a stupid idea, also the thought that my stationary car sat behind yours is suddenly going to accelerate into the back of yours if your brake lights are not lit, or the thought that blinding me with your brake lights is in some way a 'safety feature' I find rather insulting and more a way to justify a daft idea.

Keeping your brake lights lit until the car behind has come to a stop is a good idea in certain circumstances, I sometimes do it myself if stopped around a corner or some such, but keeping them lit when the car behind is stationary most definitely IS a stupid idea and has no safety benefit what so ever!

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

3 hours ago, royaloak said:

Some would consider that a stupid idea, also the thought that my stationary car sat behind yours is suddenly going to accelerate into the back of yours if your brake lights are not lit, or the thought that blinding me with your brake lights is in some way a 'safety feature' I find rather insulting and more a way to justify a daft idea.

Keeping your brake lights lit until the car behind has come to a stop is a good idea in certain circumstances, I sometimes do it myself if stopped around a corner or some such, but keeping them lit when the car behind is stationary most definitely IS a stupid idea and has no safety benefit what so ever!

Perhaps some rather over-done indignation there?  If you feel insulted by something I didn’t imply then maybe I’d better no risk saying anything more.

However, if you must use capitals to reinforce your certainty that the manufacturer is stupid, I certainly can’t dissuade you of that. I don’t object to this feature though and the fact remains that it makes the car more noticeable further away when it is stationary.  Sadly, not all drivers keep their eyes open, and many still use mobile phones and so are distracted. There is a limit set for rear light brightness too: as bought, they won’t ‘blind’ anyone.

I’d suggest that indignation over this feature has far more to do with a mistaken belief that brake lights being on in such circumstances always mean that the driver is being lazy and not using the hand-brake: sometimes this is so, my point was that this is not always the case.

Tony

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, big jim said:

Cibie super oscar spot lights? 

Hella lights. Still period but a little different from the usual Super Oscar top pair, Oscar bottom pair that are seen on most.

In period I ran Bosch Rally Supers which were an 8" light - absolutely superb and about as common as rocking horse poo nowadays.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Hella lights. Still period but a little different from the usual Super Oscar top pair, Oscar bottom pair that are seen on most.

In period I ran Bosch Rally Supers which were an 8" light - absolutely superb and about as common as rocking horse poo nowadays.

I ran 4 oscars in my mini clubman, as you say, 2 top, 2 bottom, certainly lit up the night!

saying that the 4 LED ones I’ve put on the new mini are amazing

• Like 2